Earthquake today here in the DC area

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Had to race out from the 4th floor of my building, no injuries but was pretty scary feeling the building shake like it was made of rubber! Most painful was watching all the iphone users able to somehow get some calls and texts through while my DVP showed no signal! T-Mo failed big time!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of scary that phones aren't going to be reliable in a major disaster. Hopefully someone can do something to prevent this happening again in the future.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of scary that phones aren't going to be reliable in a major disaster. Hopefully someone can do something to prevent this happening again in the future.

That's what texting is for. I was texting my family and friends within seconds of the earthquake. Texts use much less bandwidth and were one of the few reliable forms of communication during 9/11 in DC and after Katrina in New Orleans. Well, in Katrina, it was less unreliable than other forms of communications.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's what texting is for. I was texting my family and friends within seconds of the earthquake. Texts use much less bandwidth and were one of the few reliable forms of communication during 9/11 in DC and after Katrina in New Orleans. Well, in Katrina, it was less unreliable than other forms of communications.

Back in March of 2007 we had a tornado come through my hometown and destroy our high school, leaving 8 students dead. Texting was what worked best for everyone since so many people were trying to call around saying they were alive that it took upwards of half an hour to an hour to get through to anyone you'd be trying to call.

panda51988

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
we got some bad damage to houses in pittsburgh from that quake! i was sleeping and woke up to my whole room shaking, stuff falling off the stands, etc.. i am on the third floor of a 100 year old house so a lot of times my room will shake anyway, but this was nothing like that. i knew something was up, i got on facebook and seen all the messages.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Glad everyone is OK. We are having 110 116 Temps here right now so don't know which would be the worse to experience. Don't ever remember having a quake in AZ.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Texting isn't always instant when there is a lot of it going on too. For example try sending a happy new years message on ATT. It took 30minutes to get a message my friend sent when I was standing right there. We need more bandwidth!

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Texting isn't always instant when there is a lot of it going on too. For example try sending a happy new years message on ATT. It took 30minutes to get a message my friend sent when I was standing right there. We need more bandwidth!

Texting isn't always instant, that's true. But trying for 30 minutes for your call to get through isn't instant either. And all I can say is that yesterday, seconds after the earthquake and for the next hour or so afterward, my texts were instant, as I was texting like a mad man as my colleagues kept trying to make calls.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3