Google... Its over for me

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What he's saying is that you have to have a Google account to make/have a Youtube account even if you signed up for Youtube before Google bought it.

Exactly. I created a YouTube account in 06 but once Google decided you have to have a Gmail account to link it to, I had no other option if I wanted to keep my account.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
@Gawain I like what you have to say and you are right in some ways and in some ways you are not. I am not well enough informed to support a solid counterpoint to my objections to what you are saying so I will save that for another day and thread. Thanks again for your comments you have some good points. As to over reacting in my case not really I didn't use goggle much anyways so I will barely miss their services.

Like I said before, I totally understand anyone's concerns over Google's shift in their policy (whether it's rational or irrational). I, for one, think this was part of their long term plan from the time they started Gmail and Google Docs oh so long ago. All these "free" services have a cost to them. We always knew that Google's data mining was top shelf, the company makes enormous amounts of money in this line of work - it's an amazing model.

Now we know the true "cost" of these "free" services. Part of me would not be surprised if there wasn't a tiered pay service down the road which allows users, small/large businesses to opt out (I pay $20/year so I don't have ads in my Yahoo! mail). Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, while Microsoft may not "scan" email content, we do know how "cloud" dependent WP7 is, and with the advent of Windows 8 coming soon, using the same metro theme updated in real time on the desktop, the "cloud" only gets more important. Microsoft will use this to "add value" to its back-end services (demographics, telematics, services, feeds used, etc). That may put it in a perspective to explain my point a little more clearly.

Some might call it evil. Some might call it wrong. I call it neither. It is simply an evolution of a common marketing practice in use since the "frequent shopper" cards were introduced in supermarkets decades ago. Yes, they were tracking what was bought and how often. It's not a lens on your personal life so much as a lens to know what is selling and when so the stores can better position themselves with food company category managers. It also afforded them the opportunity to offer coupons to entice your continued patronage. As technology has advanced, it has enabled a lot more of the understanding of "behavior" to really appeal to that consumer out there.

So, overreact? Maybe the wrong word. Let's just say that while I understand yours and others' concerns, I do not believe there is cause for concern for most people out there.

Interesting times huh? :p

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't closed my YouTube account, but I have shifted my search provider over to Bing.

The one thing I did learn in all this was how FB tracks your activities so long as you're logged in. My office computer runs 24/7, and I've got a half dozen tabs that are always open. As of this week, FB is only logged in to check things, and then I log out again before moving on to the next thing.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I was semi-fine as long as I could choose which Google-services had access to my information... But I'm done with Google since this policy update. I simply don't want some weird Google service that I have ever heard of ever yell at me:

"Hey Johan! I saw you were browsing underwear over at site.com, this is a Google service that will let you create your own underpants... With Bragle you can choose..." bla bla...

Nah... Google... Kthxbye...

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never been a big fan of Google so don't have any of their services, I have just deleted my Facebook account though due to the changes they are implementing.
I haven't ever felt comfortable with Google products, they are a data mining company and it's their main business. for Microsoft it's just a loss leader to access other services so I've always been more at ease with putting my data on Skydrive and using Hotmail.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
@Big Supes...So that I'm clear with regards to your encounter: You already had a YouTube account, but then Google notified you that you had to 'adopt' their other services (i.e. Google+, etc.)?

I have a YouTube account, and a GVoice number (that I give out on occasion but hardly use), but I have not been notifed by Google to sign up for their other services. If they do notify me, then i will terminate these two services. I do NOT want Google+ or Gmail, or anything else Google.

In my case, I had a Youtube account for over a year when, out of nowhere, I was prompted to sign up with Gmail in order to keep using it. I kept putting it off, until eventually, I was lock out of my account. To say I was peeved is an understatement.

What he's saying is that you have to have a Google account to make/have a Youtube account even if you signed up for Youtube before Google bought it.

Exactly that. It's this type of monopoly game play that forced me to divorce Apple. I like to have the freedom of choice and I really don't see what benefit a Gmail account has over Hotmail when I'm simply using Youtube, and only Youtube.

Exactly. I created a YouTube account in 06 but once Google decided you have to have a Gmail account to link it to, I had no other option if I wanted to keep my account.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Exactly what happened to me.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I was pretty well informed with how Google was using my data previously, the whole web-tracking, usage-logging thing is nothing new, especially to Google who make their money off it. They used to be all about search and selling ads that related to those searches. Now your searches track you all over the web, so if you search for laptops once or twice, any site you visit that has google ads will have ads for laptops.

Anyway, I can't say that the announcement about pooling all the data they collect on people so that all their services can access it was a shock, I assumed it was already happening, and it probably was but in order to not "be evil" they made an announcement and changed their T&Cs.

The problem of course is that Google is hands down the best search provider available today. Bing is improving, but still suffers on occasion from the same problems that the likes of Altavista and Lycos did back in the day. That is to say, irrelevant or unhelpful results.

As for the rest of Google's services, I used Gmail a lot, but switched to a new Hotmail account to keep everything in the one place. Once I can be sure I'm getting nothing I want through to that address my whole Google account will be gone. They can still provide searches relative to my IP address (and MAC address too I guess?) but they'll not be reading any more emails or documents.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I am just mad that Google seems to be making it hard for WP7 to have decent apps for google services e.g youtube

I have switched mail to Windows Live. Unfortunately it will take me a while before I can update my email address everywhere.

markthompson23

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
There is an easy way....

The one thing stopping me is google docs. I wish there was an easy way to transfer all your docs to sky drive.

Google docs allows you to export all your files to a zip file. Export your files. Get a Skydrive account (if you don't already have one). Then you can upload the files to Skydrive manually (you can upload multiple files at once so it's not that big of a pain.)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Never understood the attraction of google, just because something is free doesnt make it better. Anyone who thinks they are not paying for all these "free" services in some way is just fooling themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb