Google... Its over for me

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Well Google went and did it they have added the straw that broke the camel's back at least for me. I have closed out all my G-stuff deleted all contacts and emails. I have a coupe of people I email using Gmail so I have to keep the account opened if I could get those guys off that I wouldn't ever use Google again. Why!?

Google is watching every step you take

I signed my new licensing agreement yesterday just like all Google users will have to do allowing Google to categorize all my activities. Why am I not comfortable with this? Mostly because I dont have the option to opt out. Would I opt out probably not I dont really care what they are doing with my information in the end it might even benefit me but I do want the option. What do you guys say are you okay with Google tracking you? Do you think you should have the option to pass on them tracking you?

As a Microsoft enthusiast I have all my stuff in Bing, Live and Hotmail anyways so it no loss to me. I dont really use Google anyways do you? Give me your thoughts on this everyone am I over reacting?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I closed all my Google accounts last night too Dave.

Only one i ever used really was YouTube.

I actually feel a lot better now I've dumped Google, strange. :D

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Didn't do it yet because I have the worst posible experience with windows live.
If an alternative that would actualy work and was supported in my country existed i would eventualy switch.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
google.com/dashboard to see what data Google has regarding your activity on Google's sites and clear out/opt out of personalization if you want to.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I checked out the dashboard. I didn't see any option to opt out. And most articles around the web concerning this verify that. There isn't an option to opt out.

This does make me a little uneasy. Not that I'm a particularly super private person. I'm not even sure if I'd opt out if given the opportunity. But I'd love to be given the choice to opt out of my information from certain particular services being sold.

Oh well. I suppose the real way to opt out is to stop using the service. I will probably phase out of Google services. The only ones I really use are Gmail and YouTube.

I'm not really familiar with any MS YouTube alternatives. And if I do switch to another video hosting service, I would like it to work on most mobile devices. Especially mine.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't give up my Gmail, I just love it too much. Not to mention I just purchased two weeks ago 80GB Google Storage to upload all my documents and pictures. Good luck on your new online services provider. Who did you end up going with, Wee?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my own domain email addresses and I'll just use Vimeo or SkyDrive for any videos I share.

I didn't really need any Google services at all to be honest so I won't miss them speedtouch. :)

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. As a matter of fact I hadbeen thinking about switching from google but wanted to wait until I bought my first wp7 device in march.
Can someone tell me what's the best alternative to google reader? Something that works on web and should have a wp7 client for syncing with web. Any advice is highly appreciated.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I am not too bright and I am the first to admit it but what exactly are the implications of this news and how will things change in lay mans terms?

Simply put, they can even tell what color underwear you are wearing..
Well, not really... You wont have any online privacy at all. They can monitor all of your online activities using google services and share the data. Thats in a nutshell.
Engadget and the verge have posted more details.

Or to find out more, you can do a "google search".... NO...bing it.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting rid of Google. Gmail is the only decent email experience I've ever had in my life and I have no intention of moving away from it unless they seriously screw up or actually begin violating my privacy. I don't care what they do with my data as long as it doesn't cost me any money. Gmail is pretty much the only service I use anyway

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've read through some of the new policies. All the "they being evil" is just the how the internet works. The new policies are pretty much the same as the old ones. Now, you don't have to log into every different Google service to see your privacy setting. Now its written where you don't need a PhD to undrrstand it. If you enjoyed using their services before, they you'll be fine. If you didn't like them, well get rid of then.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I use Linux Mint on my laptop and i noticed they changed the default search engine from Google to DuckDuckGo: DuckDuckGo I thought it was a joke at first. I had never heard of DuckDuckGo before.

I have had a Google account for a while. I orginally got it so the wife and I had a place to post vacation pictures on Picasa. Then i bought a Sony TV that has Google TV built into it, and now i have a Samsung Galaxy SII that I am playing with. So I am kind of stuck with Google for now.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad to see I'm not alone on dumping Google. Its all just a little too creeps to me. Google is a service I sparsely used anyways it might be fine but why take a chance. If you use Google and this stuff doesn't bother you then by all means use it I'm in no way trying to influence any one in any way I just wanted to see if there are others that are not sticking with Google.

Palandri Samsung Galaxy SII really?! I'm so disappointed in you.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...Palandri Samsung Galaxy SII really?! I'm so disappointed in you.

No need to worry, I am going to be putting it on eBay soon and I am keeping my Trophy. :cool: I like WP a lot more. :D

The only thing I am not sure of yet is if I am going to replace my Nokis N8 with a Lumia 900. If the Lumia 900 had a 12MP camera, I'd get it on the release date. I need to see one first.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have no use for Google. I feel that the fact that I don't have (or easily access) the option to opt out really bothers me.

Sent from my Focus S using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
This post makes me feel a lot better. I spent an hour the other day switching a lot of my services away from Google. I set my default search to Bing (rewards are nice). I switched from Google Docs to Web Office, which is better, anyway. The only problem I'm going to have here, is that no one has heard of Web Office (or even SkyDrive, for that matter), so I'll have to convince people to use that instead of GD every time I do a group project (which is often, because of my major). I also switched from Chrome to Waterfox (Firefox made for Win7 x64). That was a big deal for me, since I've used Chrome primarily for almost two years now. I've already customized it, so that it actually looks better than Chrome did.

The only thing I'm going to keep from Google is YouTube. I don't use it very often, but when I do, I'd rather have my account available.

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My question is Why doesn't microsoft give us a unified,centralized service experiencee like Google does? Now most people , even those who want to switch from their services are kinda tied to google services because there is no viable options out there. So its like a necessary evil. But I'm bent on making the switch. Initially i was thinking of holding off until I bought my first WP7 device in March. But i dont think i will wait any longer and start exploring the alternatives to each one of the services.
I mainly use gmail, reader, calendar, picasa and youTube. switching to hotmail this weekend (need to look at MS' article on switching). any viable options for calendar and reader?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)