Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Well Google went and did it they have added the straw that broke the camel's back at least for me. I have closed out all my G-stuff deleted all contacts and emails. I have a coupe of people I email using Gmail so I have to keep the account opened if I could get those guys off that I wouldn't ever use Google again. Why!?

Google is watching every step you take

I signed my new licensing agreement yesterday just like all Google users will have to do allowing Google to categorize all my activities. Why am I not comfortable with this? Mostly because I dont have the option to opt out. Would I opt out probably not I dont really care what they are doing with my information in the end it might even benefit me but I do want the option. What do you guys say are you okay with Google tracking you? Do you think you should have the option to pass on them tracking you?

As a Microsoft enthusiast I have all my stuff in Bing, Live and Hotmail anyways so it no loss to me. I dont really use Google anyways do you? Give me your thoughts on this everyone am I over reacting?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    I closed all my Google accounts last night too Dave.

Only one i ever used really was YouTube.

I actually feel a lot better now I've dumped Google, strange. :D

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK

Didn't do it yet because I have the worst posible experience with windows live.
    If an alternative that would actualy work and was supported in my country existed i would eventualy switch.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    google.com/dashboard to see what data Google has regarding your activity on Google's sites and clear out/opt out of personalization if you want to.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

I checked out the dashboard. I didn't see any option to opt out. And most articles around the web concerning this verify that. There isn't an option to opt out.

This does make me a little uneasy. Not that I'm a particularly super private person. I'm not even sure if I'd opt out if given the opportunity. But I'd love to be given the choice to opt out of my information from certain particular services being sold.

Oh well. I suppose the real way to opt out is to stop using the service. I will probably phase out of Google services. The only ones I really use are Gmail and YouTube.

I'm not really familiar with any MS YouTube alternatives. And if I do switch to another video hosting service, I would like it to work on most mobile devices. Especially mine.

Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    I can't give up my Gmail, I just love it too much. Not to mention I just purchased two weeks ago 80GB Google Storage to upload all my documents and pictures. Good luck on your new online services provider. Who did you end up going with, Wee?
    Lumia 635
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    I have my own domain email addresses and I'll just use Vimeo or SkyDrive for any videos I share.

I didn't really need any Google services at all to be honest so I won't miss them speedtouch. :)

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    OK I am not too bright and I am the first to admit it but what exactly are the implications of this news and how will things change in lay mans terms?
    In the Vortex...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I'm planning on cancelling all my google services except Gmail also.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express
  10. sr!

I'm in the same boat. As a matter of fact I hadbeen thinking about switching from google but wanted to wait until I bought my first wp7 device in march.
    Can someone tell me what's the best alternative to google reader? Something that works on web and should have a wp7 client for syncing with web. Any advice is highly appreciated.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

I've deleted the lot. Adis, Google.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
  12. sr!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan Lager View Post
    OK I am not too bright and I am the first to admit it but what exactly are the implications of this news and how will things change in lay mans terms?
    Simply put, they can even tell what color underwear you are wearing..
    Well, not really... You wont have any online privacy at all. They can monitor all of your online activities using google services and share the data. Thats in a nutshell.
    Engadget and the verge have posted more details.

Or to find out more, you can do a "google search".... NO...bing it.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I'm not getting rid of Google. Gmail is the only decent email experience I've ever had in my life and I have no intention of moving away from it unless they seriously screw up or actually begin violating my privacy. I don't care what they do with my data as long as it doesn't cost me any money. Gmail is pretty much the only service I use anyway
    Life couldn't get better, this could be the best day ever.
    HTC Titan
    speedtouch likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I've read through some of the new policies. All the "they being evil" is just the how the internet works. The new policies are pretty much the same as the old ones. Now, you don't have to log into every different Google service to see your privacy setting. Now its written where you don't need a PhD to undrrstand it. If you enjoyed using their services before, they you'll be fine. If you didn't like them, well get rid of then.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    threed61 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,271 Global Posts
    I use Linux Mint on my laptop and i noticed they changed the default search engine from Google to DuckDuckGo: DuckDuckGo I thought it was a joke at first. I had never heard of DuckDuckGo before.

I have had a Google account for a while. I orginally got it so the wife and I had a place to post vacation pictures on Picasa. Then i bought a Sony TV that has Google TV built into it, and now i have a Samsung Galaxy SII that I am playing with. So I am kind of stuck with Google for now.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone on dumping Google. Its all just a little too creeps to me. Google is a service I sparsely used anyways it might be fine but why take a chance. If you use Google and this stuff doesn't bother you then by all means use it I'm in no way trying to influence any one in any way I just wanted to see if there are others that are not sticking with Google.

Palandri Samsung Galaxy SII really?! I'm so disappointed in you.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,271 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    ...Palandri Samsung Galaxy SII really?! I'm so disappointed in you.
    No need to worry, I am going to be putting it on eBay soon and I am keeping my Trophy. I like WP a lot more. :D

The only thing I am not sure of yet is if I am going to replace my Nokis N8 with a Lumia 900. If the Lumia 900 had a 12MP camera, I'd get it on the release date. I need to see one first.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I have no use for Google. I feel that the fact that I don't have (or easily access) the option to opt out really bothers me.

Sent from my Focus S using Board Express

This post makes me feel a lot better. I spent an hour the other day switching a lot of my services away from Google. I set my default search to Bing (rewards are nice). I switched from Google Docs to Web Office, which is better, anyway. The only problem I'm going to have here, is that no one has heard of Web Office (or even SkyDrive, for that matter), so I'll have to convince people to use that instead of GD every time I do a group project (which is often, because of my major). I also switched from Chrome to Waterfox (Firefox made for Win7 x64). That was a big deal for me, since I've used Chrome primarily for almost two years now. I've already customized it, so that it actually looks better than Chrome did.

The only thing I'm going to keep from Google is YouTube. I don't use it very often, but when I do, I'd rather have my account available.

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.
  20. sr!

My question is Why doesn't microsoft give us a unified,centralized service experiencee like Google does? Now most people , even those who want to switch from their services are kinda tied to google services because there is no viable options out there. So its like a necessary evil. But I'm bent on making the switch. Initially i was thinking of holding off until I bought my first WP7 device in March. But i dont think i will wait any longer and start exploring the alternatives to each one of the services.
    I mainly use gmail, reader, calendar, picasa and youTube. switching to hotmail this weekend (need to look at MS' article on switching). any viable options for calendar and reader?

I took this decision long time ago, like 2 years ago. First i knew how they privacy stuff was about and i didn't want to be part of it.
    Also i was getting like 50 spam emails everyday, i have gotten in 2 years in hotmail like 7 maybe, yeah in 2 yearss! and everyday i was getting like 50 in gmail so another reason why i said bye, and of course because i dont like google.

but Im more glad i did that seeing how they have never cared about privacy.
    now im ok with Hotmail and I love Alias stuff, and of course skydrive and office webapps. and last update was a nice update for hotmail.

and I like the UI.
    and if i use Tracking Protection I wont see any ad. of course i dont care about ads, and they are easy to close.

i dont know i like Hotmail better and it will be more useful once Win8 is ready. but of course its already useful for WP and XBOX/GFWL.
  22. lumic
    The Google suite looks much better and is simply nicer to use on the desktop. I much prefer Gmail to Hotmail (apart from the awkward loading times, this could change with a Metro overhaul), there's no alternative to YouTube and Google still gives me the results I want better than Bing. I adopted Chrome while everyone was still raving about Firefox (though I'm braving out IE9 now due to the better font smoothing).

Sure, I might get worked up about policy changes. At the end of the day, I know "don't be evil" is BS and I will continue using Google services until there is a viable alternative with widespread adoption.
    Thanked by:

For those people who somehow avoided signing up with gmail (when Youtube was taken over) - how did you go about it?

Google kinda has me by the balls with Youtube, so I'm willing to open an account, but not a gmail account. . .

Below is the page you're referred to when attempting to sign up with Youtube.

I'm curious about how Microsoft's policies and practices compare to Google's when it comes to online services. For example, does MS scan your email? Is there a good comparison somewhere?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    palandri likes this.

MS don't scan emails.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast