Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree34Likes
  1. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #1  
    This guy is suggesting that his unlimited AT&T data plan is putting him in the top 5% with just 2GB of usage, and has received a warning from AT&T. If this is true, somebody needs to report AT&T for false advertising.

    Confessions of an iPhone Data Hog - WSJ.com
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  2. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #2  
    Wonder what AT&T would do to me with my 44 GB :dry

    We seem to be going in the opposite direction, T-Mobile UK now has truly unlimited data with no fair usage policy or throttling.

    Bit more expensive than 3, but with the smartphone explosion now happening both 3 and T-Mobile UK say it's the way forward and they don't want their customers worrying about data usage.

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  3. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,272 Posts
    #3  
    That's soooo messed up.

    Taking the top 5% in a region is a stupid policy. There is no way to know if you're in the top 5% because there isn't a set data amount.

    They really should look at their highest tier and declare that nobody that uses under that amount gets throttled. No matter what. Even if users in that area tend to use so little data that the top 5% is at 3 GB.

    If the article is true, then they're basically making it so that Unlimited Data users have an artificial cap that is LOWER than other users. And considering that people who have Unlimited Data were grandfathered in, that means that these are AT&T's long term loyal customers.
    palandri likes this.
  4. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    Wonder what AT&T would do to me with my 44 GB :dry

    We seem to be going in the opposite direction, T-Mobile UK now has truly unlimited data with no fair usage policy or throttling.

    Bit more expensive than 3, but with the smartphone explosion now happening both 3 and T-Mobile UK say it's the way forward and they don't want their customers worrying about data usage.
    It seems pretty crazy here in the states, compared to what you pay and get. I got an email from AT&T a while ago telling me about upping my data limit from 2GB to 4GB for an additional $25.00. I didn't bother since I use less than 1GB a month.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  5. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #5  
    Sure are crazy prices compared to here, no one would ever pay that amount here, it's total extortion. :(

    Existing customers on 3 who aren't on an unlimited data plan can add unlimited per month for an extra 2.99 ($4.74)

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    palandri and paul-c like this.
  6. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    That's soooo messed up.

    Taking the top 5% in a region is a stupid policy. There is no way to know if you're in the top 5% because there isn't a set data amount.

    They really should look at their highest tier and declare that nobody that uses under that amount gets throttled. No matter what. Even if users in that area tend to use so little data that the top 5% is at 3 GB.

    If the article is true, then they're basically making it so that Unlimited Data users have an artificial cap that is LOWER than other users. And considering that people who have Unlimited Data were grandfathered in, that means that these are AT&T's long term loyal customers.
    I hear ya.

    If a plan is sold or grandfathered in as unlimited 3G data and they throttle you at 2GB, that has to be false advertisement.
    Last edited by palandri; 02-06-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  7. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    Wonder what AT&T would do to me with my 44 GB :dry

    We seem to be going in the opposite direction, T-Mobile UK now has truly unlimited data with no fair usage policy or throttling.

    Bit more expensive than 3, but with the smartphone explosion now happening both 3 and T-Mobile UK say it's the way forward and they don't want their customers worrying about data usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    Sure are crazy prices compared to here, no one would ever pay that amount here, it's total extortion. :(

    Existing customers on 3 who aren't on an unlimited data plan can add unlimited per month for an extra 2.99 ($4.74)
    Sounds like you guys have it way better than us when it comes to data plans. I'm a bit jealous actually, lol.
    5tephen likes this.
  8. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #8  
    Yeah we sure do scottcraft. (No devil dogs or twinkies though, guess who loves them?) :D

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
  9. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    Yeah we sure do scottcraft. (No devil dogs or twinkies though, guess who loves them?) :D
    But you do get Jelly Babies. I'm holding a grudge. :)
    palandri and TheWeeBear like this.
  10. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #10  
    Those guys at ATT are evil geniuses I tell you. We just got bamboozled! Even with $30 Unlimited data it was said there was still a hidden cap. It was always between 3-5GB. It was never made clear or official of course. They got most of its customers to switch to 2GB for $5 less. Then they turn around and raise the price back to $30, but added a whole extra 1GB! You get a total of 3GB for $30! Great deal right??? Wrong. We're right back to where we were before. Except now the 3GB cap is made official. Check... and... Mate!!!
  11. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #11  
    The top 3 carriers in the U.S. aren't playing free market economics like they are suppose to be or else we would see them saying you can get 3GB of data here for $20 and then the next one would say, you can get 4GB of data for $20, then the next one would say 6GB of data for $20. That's competition.

    Rather the U.S. carriers are playing follow the leader to the top, rather than competing.

    If I can get the WeeBear to post what he pays in the UK again, it will make you sick and you'll see just how ripped off we are getting in the U.S.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  12. bush715's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    The top 3 carriers in the U.S. aren't playing free market economics like they are suppose to be or else we would see them saying you can get 3GB of data here for $20 and then the next one would say, you can get 4GB of data for $20, then the next one would say 6GB of data for $20. That's competition.

    Rather the U.S. carriers are playing follow the leader to the top, rather than competing.

    If I can get the WeeBear to post what he pays in the UK again, it will make you sick and you'll see just how ripped off we are getting in the U.S.
    I got a buddy to send me his plan details on tmobile uk he pays 45 USD for unlimited no throttle data unlimited texts and 2000 minutes plus free mobile to mobile
    palandri likes this.
  13. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bush715 View Post
    I got a buddy to send me his plan details on tmobile uk he pays 45 USD for unlimited no throttle data unlimited texts and 2000 minutes plus free mobile to mobile
    There ya go. If I remember correctly, WeeBear pays like $35 or $38 usd for a similar package on 3UK.

    What do we pay for AT&T for 2GB of data, 500 minutes and unlimited texting? Anywhere from $90 to a 100 a month.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  14. Bifurcated's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #14  
    The US is a big place. AT&T's costs are higher. Also, if you follow the British press, there's a lot of complaining about spectrum saturation, people complaining they can't reliably get a signal in London. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying. ;-)
  15. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #15  
    Would any of you care to offer any reasoning why we have plans that are so expensive in America compared to Europe? We sure are getting ripped off!
  16. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifurcated View Post
    The US is a big place. AT&T's costs are higher. Also, if you follow the British press, there's a lot of complaining about spectrum saturation, people complaining they can't reliably get a signal in London. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying. ;-)
    Wish I would have read this before typing my question. Is there more competition for service in Europe?
  17. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifurcated View Post
    The US is a big place. AT&T's costs are higher. Also, if you follow the British press, there's a lot of complaining about spectrum saturation, people complaining they can't reliably get a signal in London. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying. ;-)
    Yep. It's big. And it has a few more people as well. Probably a very similar ratio of users per sq.mile in the respective coverage areas. Face it. This is price fixing by the big US carriers. They convince you to use more and more data, Continue to half-build faster networks and then charge you for it. Coast to coast free WiFi is what I am waiting for. And a carrier free Microsoft Skype phone. Screw the (US) carriers.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  18. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,453 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    That's soooo messed up.

    Taking the top 5% in a region is a stupid policy. There is no way to know if you're in the top 5% because there isn't a set data amount.
    Exactly right? And I think the person in the article mentioned they only used 2.05GB that month.

    So basically, this is what's happening:

    Say the current top 5% of data users are using about 5GB a month, and they get a message advising them to limit their data usage or else they'll get throttled. They don't want to get throttled so they use less. Since they used less, now the top 5% are the users who are using 4.5GB, and they get a message! And it continues until someone who is using 2GB a month is now in the top 5%.

    How is that fair?! This is why people hate AT&T. Not only are they not getting their unlimited data, they're getting less data than someone who's paying $30 for 3GB of data! I think it's part of their evil plan to get people switched over to tiered plans.

    And as for why we pay more for wireless service than people in Europe do? I mean yes, America is a much larger country and it costs more to provide wireless coverage to a larger area, but at twice the price for less minutes and data?

    Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?
    Thanked by:
    palandri and Reflexx like this.
  19. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If I can get the WeeBear to post what he pays in the UK again, it will make you sick and you'll see just how ripped off we are getting in the U.S.
    The One Plan (2 Year Contract)

    Contract Length: 24 months
    Inclusive UK voice minutes: 2000 mins
    Inclusive UK text messages: 5000 texts
    Three-to-Three UK calls: 5000 mins
    Internet Allowance: All-you-can-eat data (Includes Tethering)
    25 per month. (No handset price) ($39.54)

    The One Plan (Monthly Contract)

    Contract Length: 1 month
    Inclusive UK voice minutes: 300 mins
    Inclusive UK text messages: 3000 texts
    Internet Allowance: All-you-can-eat data
    15 per month. ($23.72)

    There are absolutely no fair usage policies or throttling on data plans.

    It seems although I have no Twinkies or Devil Dogs, I do have Jelly Babies and
    a rather wonderful mobile network that allows me to download the whole internet
    without the blink of an eye.

    In your face US Mobile Phone Networks! :lol:

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Thanked by:
    palandri and 5tephen like this.
  20. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    ...Coast to coast free WiFi is what I am waiting for....
    That was a vision that Steve Jobs had.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  21. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    Exactly right? And I think the person in the article mentioned they only used 2.05GB that month.

    So basically, this is what's happening:

    Say the current top 5% of data users are using about 5GB a month, and they get a message advising them to limit their data usage or else they'll get throttled. They don't want to get throttled so they use less. Since they used less, now the top 5% are the users who are using 4.5GB, and they get a message! And it continues until someone who is using 2GB a month is now in the top 5%.

    How is that fair?! This is why people hate AT&T. Not only are they not getting their unlimited data, they're getting less data than someone who's paying $30 for 3GB of data! I think it's part of their evil plan to get people switched over to tiered plans.

    And as for why we pay more for wireless service than people in Europe do? I mean yes, America is a much larger country and it costs more to provide wireless coverage to a larger area, but at twice the price for less minutes and data?

    Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?
    That's what it appears they are doing.

    In Europe I noted that the rates are a lot lower when you own the phone. Which I am sure is why it's more popular in Europe to buy a phone outright, rather than have it subsidized through the carrier. AT&T doesn't give you a discounted rate if you buy the phone. The only carrier in the US that was doing that was T-Mobile, and I don't know if they are doing that anymore.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  22. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?
    The prices I quoted above are for tariff only.

    You just pick the phone you want and the extra is added on top of the 25 contract fee.

    For example the Nokia Lumia 710 is 29 PM

    The Nokia Lumia 800 is 34

    iPhone 4S 40 and 49 upfront for the phone or 43 with no upfront cost.

    This is on The One Plan with unlimited data. :)
    Last edited by TheWeeBear; 02-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.

    .........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  23. bush715's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #23  
    There was an article on engadget yesterday that a russian mobile network actually challenge people with a 5k vacation to whoever could use the most data over a few months. US carriers need to get a clue.

    http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art
    palandri likes this.
  24. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,116 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,255 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bush715 View Post
    There was an article on engadget yesterday that a russian mobile network actually challenge people with a 5k vacation to whoever could use the most data over a few months. US carriers need to get a clue.

    Russian carrier gives $5,000 vacation to its most data hungry customer -- Engadget
    You just gave the CEO of AT&T and Verizon a migraine. :lol:
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  25. bush715's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You just gave the CEO of AT&T and Verizon a migraine. :lol:
    If it was possible I would get tmobile fcc funds allocated for low income citizens switch the price points to match european price points if possible or slightly higher. Use gov funds from the low income payout to build infrastructure. Get more funds to get broadband service to rural areas which the fcc is big about right now they are throwing out millions on that and I believe if tmobile did that they would for once see a decent profit and be able to build out decent lte coverage and lease roaming agreements in areas where building isnt possible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions