complete windows 8 walkthrough... simply amazing!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
this is a complete walkthrough of the new and improved windows 8, i absolutely love it! also shows us what the new music manager looks like, which is what replaces zune... should be interesting what apollo brings given we now know what the entirety of windows 8 looks like... i cant wait!!!

check this out!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview hands-on | The Verge

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend, but judging by the screenshots I already feel that it looks great and also that it looks like it could make a serious impact on the tablet market. I think docks will be a big thing – with full Windows on a tablet it will only need display output and USB to become a desktop machine that can take care of most things someone who doesn't play games or works with graphics would need to do.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I like it, I think having a full blown OS on a tablet it's going to be awesome. but I'm not so sure on how I would like this on my desktop. I like the metro on tablet and mobile. but my desktop is another matter. My screen has pictures that I like not sure that I want to be looking at tiles all the time. Then I'm not sure that we can't have the background of out choice. I'm going to need some time to really look at win8 before I place it over win7..

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
There's still classic Windows with icons and taskbars and everything hidden underneath all the Metro styled stuff. Maybe it can be useful by keeping casual and social stuff in the new apps, and being able to move all that away when going to the desktop for work-like stuff.

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using it on my desktop PC. It takes a little bit to get used to it. but on day two i'm loving it. Cant wait till the full ver. releases.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Having tried the Win 8 CP I think Windows 8 is an excellent tablet/touchscreen PC OS. I think that as a desktop OS it's much trickier though, and without the option of touch it still feels schizophrenic and/or forced in some ways. I think the "traditional" desktop view could do with some more clues as to what to do now the start menu has gone, and the Metro view could do with being a little easier/more obvious on how to navigate with a keyboard/mouse. Granted it's not difficult once you know, but it's by no means intuitive either.

It has more of a learning curve than other versions of Windows, for sure. Because of that, and the Metro look/feel, I still think it's going to really sharply divide opinion. Some people will love it - especially tablet users (assuming the price for hardware is right and how things pan out with the ARM version). Others I think will absolutely hate it - possibly mainly users who are used to/prefer the old school desktop view and/or people who have no desire for a touchscreen PC.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Fastest Windows install ever. Rebooted, selected region, entered the key, went away from the desk for a quick smoke and after that it was already rebooting. Just a little more time for the configuration and a second reboot, can't have been more than 10 minutes all in all.

When I got into the OS I got the idea to try the Win key. It's been there for more than 15 years, and I've barely touch it before. Didn't make much sense just for opening the start menu, but it felt instantly natural for the start screen. I don't think I'll miss the start menu much. I'm already used to having the apps I use daily pinned to the taskbar, and the start screen gives a good overview that makes up for it being "further away".

Metro interface looks good but the features feel a little too large for a 22" screen with 1680x1050 resolution. I guess it's something to get used to and that the so-so contrast of a five year old panel isn't optimal, but it would have been nice if the type and graphics could adapt more to physical size rather than resolution. It will definitely look beautiful on a tablet, though.

I feel like I'm getting used to this, and unless there are any compatibility issues I don't think I'll go back to the Win 7 partition for anything but fetching stuff that has to be accessed by applications there.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
this is a complete walkthrough of the new and improved windows 8, i absolutely love it! also shows us what the new music manager looks like, which is what replaces zune... should be interesting what apollo brings given we now know what the entirety of windows 8 looks like... i cant wait!!!

check this out!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview hands-on | The Verge
Has anyone put this on a laptop yet. I could not get it to install, it goes through the whole process and says it could not install.

I have an Asus running windows 7 and I tried the install from flash drive and tried the install from straight download. Any ideas?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone put this on a laptop yet. I could not get it to install, it goes through the whole process and says it could not install.

I have an Asus running windows 7 and I tried the install from flash drive and tried the install from straight download. Any ideas?

I have it running on a Dell Studio XPS 1640. I actually upgraded my main Win7 partition to it (still hoping that wasn't a mistake, lol). I haven't had many problems other than my mouse wheel won't scroll on any pages (which is a pain in the butt) and I wish I could side-by-side a program on the desktop and another program in the metro interface. I don't understand why there is no 50/50 choice when using the Metro interface. It become around 80/20.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Partitioned the drive on my very old Fujitsi P7010 notebook and W8 is working fine with limitations. At first I had no sound or video, but W8 managed to find an audio driver somewhere. But video is still all choppy as my chip does not support DirectX9. I new that before I started though. W8 also found a generic display driver that won't get me past 1024 x 764, so some limitations there.

But overall, a good way to get familiar with navigating the new OS. Using this machine more the past week than in the past six months.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Right - my mouse broke this morning after 4 years of trusty service, so I'm stuck using my basic backup mouse (2 buttons, clunky scroll wheel). Works fine with my Mac.

W8 with this however is really pretty clunky. And yes, it's bad hardware, but a lot of people have bad hardware/basic mice. Mouse control gestures didn't work, and it was generally much harder to get around. I think W8 might cause more than a few people to have to upgrade hardware as well as OS.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe people who don't sit on forums discussing their per-release operating system installs are more likely to get the OS installed with hardware more than they are to upgrade their current systems? :)

I have a gaming mouse so I have had no problems with the controls, but I did have the thought that it could be cumbersome with a laptop trackpad. Other than that I don't see it having any problems running on machines that are running 7/Vista now.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe people who don't sit on forums discussing their per-release operating system installs are more likely to get the OS installed with hardware more than they are to upgrade their current systems? :)

Maybe. But people don't always have optimum kit or gaming-grade mice. If I upgraded with this basic model (which isn't that dissimilar with what you get with a lot of off the shelf PCs) I'd think W8 was awkward to use. That's not really a first impression that'll endear you to using Metro.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it's likely that it will be possible to disable the whole thing in the release version, but that it's enforced in the preview because Microsoft wants it to be tested. There was a report of a sighting of a Professional Plus edition as well, and I think it's a reasonable guess that the plus version will be the one with Metro, while the regular one installs without any option to enable it all – which probably is something a lot of businesses would prefer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3