From WP7 to iPhone

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been having some minor issues with my Omnia7 - more frequently lately - and they culminated into a massive issue where the voicemail notification didn't work at a crucial point when i was restarting my phone because of the other issue i had where internet connectivity would fail and i had to reboot to restore it.
Having spent quite a bit of time already troubleshooting my 'update to 8107' problem - which had already resulted in a loss of non-skydrive data (thanks Mac Connector) - in the hopes that this would fix the issues and gotten nowhere with my out-of-warranty Omnia 7, when this situation arose I knew I wouldn't be comfortable relying on this device overseas this time.

So I grabbed myself a 4S which I will use as my primary device for the time being. To be clear I am pretty sure this is all a hardware issue and that getting a different WP7 device would probably fix the issues, but i didn't have time to research (and hope), i needed to grab what i knew would work. While I was there I considered the Lumia 800, but I need WiFi Hotspot and with the special treatment Nokia seems to be getting from MS it seems their devices are going to be the flagship WP devices, I didn't really want to go with anything else only to realise later that the best apps end up being Nokia-exclusive or something.

The thing is I already miss WP7 features like:
People Hub
Zune Pass
Skydrive Integration

WP is brilliant and the tiles are fantastic (the iPhone is so damned bland) so this certainly isn't a divorce from WP7, just a separation for a while ;)
When Apollo is released and the landscape is clearer on which device really is the flagship, I'll be back! (well actually for news and discussions as well as having a WP PMP I'm realistically not going anywhere :p)

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I have numerous issues with turd of a phone HTC HD7 and I still use it. When the Lumia 900 comes out in a few weeks, unlocked, the HD7 will be trash can bound.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with Nokia even if they had other benefit besides Nokia Drive. There are plenty of other reasons, but that's my deal sealer.

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
yes i'll be really happy to ditch my buggy HTC and go with Nokia once upgrade time comes. Will have to wait till they ship with apollo so i dont have to current issues with a network that can't be bothered with updates.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You may have already found it, but there is an official Skydrive app in the App Store for iPhone. That may help with that particular withdrawal symptom.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldve went with another WP instead of going with an iPhone

As i said, i didn't want to risk another one until a clear winner emerges. What i would imagine is the current 'flagship' - the Lumia 800 - currently lacks features I need. An iphone was the choice partly because i know if i have any problems i can just walk in to a store and swap it over on the spot...WP needs something like that.

You may have already found it, but there is an official Skydrive app in the App Store for iPhone. That may help with that particular withdrawal symptom.

Yeah i found that, thanks. Sure it's not full integration but it certainly gives me access to all the data i had stored on there.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You should try Microsoft Photosynth. That app kicks @$$.

<Heavy Sigh...>

TBH i was pretty excited to download that on my phone, when it came out I put it on my wife's iphone and found it to be pretty awesome (we were building a house at the time so it was cool to go through and build a photosynth of the inside at each stage through the construction)...she did ask me why my microsoft phone didn't have the cool microsoft program though...