Space Shuttle Discovery over DC - HTC Trophy photos

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a mostly off-topic post, but I think most people won't mind. :)

Earlier today (Tuesday 4/17/12), the Space Shuttle Discovery was flown (via jet) from Cape Canaveral, FL to Dulles International Airport near Washington, DC. (The shuttle was flown to the DC area to go to its final retirement location, to be placed on display at the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport in northern Virginia.) Before flying to Dulles however, the Discovery made multiple passes over Washington, DC, passing over the National Mall and various federal buildings. It made 2 passes near my building, and I got 7 photos of the Discovery. Below are the first 3 photos, from the first pass, taken with my HTC Trophy. As you probably can tell from the first photo, it passed almost directly over my head.

People may say the Trophy has a lousy camera, but I don't think the photos turned out too badly at all.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's the second batch of photos from my HTC Trophy. This second set was taken roughly 1/2 block (maybe 200-300 feet) north of the first set. You may notice on some of the photos, especially the second photo in this set, the Air Force jet that accompanied the Discovery on its final trip. It is much smaller than the jet that carried the Discovery.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Nice pictures! We have so much to learn about the Universe, I wish we could put a greater emphasis on space exploration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross