Post Apocalyptic Vehicle of choice.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I was watching The Walking Dead last night (Windows 8 add featuring Zombies was brilliant btw), and realized that some of the cars they chose were poor and started thinking, what would be my choice of vehicle in a post-apocalyptic zombie world?

Well, right off, fuel would be a huge concern to me, since I don't want to spend lots of time hunting for gas. Second, would be some sort of off road ability to get away from the main roads. Power isn't a huge concern, since Zombies aren't fast, I don't really need to be able to go fast to outrun them.

I would choose a Jeep Compass or Patriot as they both are "Trail Rated" when properly equipped (meaning they don't completely fail off road) and get decent fuel economy (30ish highway). Plus they have okay cargo capacity. Great post-apocalyptic vehicles IMO.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a Ford Raptor with a custom fitted EcoBoost V6 since they only offer the 6.2L V8 right now, which is a very thirsty beast.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Gasoline loses its octane over time. Ever tried to start an old motorcycle that has sat all winter and didn't have fuel stabilizer put in the tank? Useless. You have to drain the carbs and get fresh gas in there.

Diesel fuel does not have this problem. Vegetable oil is a diesel fuel substitute as well. I would be driving a military diesel vehicle preferably, but a diesel pickup truck would suffice. At the bare minimum I would weld up an armor frame to mount on the truck and all widows would have armored shutters. This is why I would prefer a military vehicle as most already have this level of protection.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Man, that's kind of loaded question you pose because there are so many variables that depend on the kind of zombies in play.

I like you're idea generally, it would be good to have an off road vehicle, especially when you may have a ton of other cars or debris on the roads.

However, the real issue isn't so much the zombies as is the other survivors in the world who, now with the laws of society gone, may not be so nice.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Pre blue tech diesel or pre '75 jeep or other 4x4.

The somewhat older Diesel motors can run on a much larger variety of oils, including using vegetable oil mixed in with regular diesel to help extend the fuel reserve. If I could find something pre '75, before all the electronic ignitions and other "high tech" devices in it, I would take it along. Much easier to keep running without the need to expensive tools.

When it comes down to it though, my favorite Post Apocalyptic vehicle would be whatever I got my hands on that had fuel and was reliable. As long as it moved and could carry me and my people, I'd figure out how to make it carry what supplies I had.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I changed my mind, a clear oversight on my mind. I have done the research. Clearly the superior post Z-Day vehicle is a black Escalade fitted with a plow blade and a prominent number three on the front doors.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A realistic vehicle is the one I already own. It's a '92 Ford Bronco with the old 4.9L(300) 6 cylinder and manual transmission. No lift, factory stock. Other than it being a gas vehicle, it's got one of the most reliable engines ever made. It carries enough torque/power to get you anywhere you need to go and other places you probably shouldn't. No power windows other than the back glass. It's just a great, general purpose, vehicle. Get the plow attachment that works with that model year vehicle and you're set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon