Sushi, What's your favorite dish?

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If possible attach photos for specialty rolls. Some sushi bars with websites have pictures

Ok, My favorite Makimono is the
for cooked: X/O Spider
Spider%20Roll.jpg

Soft shell crab, cream cheese, cucumber, avocado and masago

For Raw: Karai Tekka - Tuna with a spicy sauce.

Worst I've had was Negi Hamachi: raw Yellowtail with scallions. I love the initial taste, hate the aftertaste. After a few bites It just became a burden to eat. I would keep this to Temaki as only a few bites would be much more enjoyable.

Nigri
Tamago! - Egg Custard

If you are in Omaha or come out to visit, make sure to go to Sushi Japan. The fish is always fresh, the shari is spot on, if you become a regular you can even get real wasabi, and it's never too busy. They also have Yakiniku Boy service (grill at the table to cook your own food). This is a culture rich establishment. 144th and Center on the right heading West.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've only had raw sushi. It was raw salmon and I think it was called an alaska roll. I put so much tabasco on it to kill any bacteria, I wasn't able to enjoy it. It was real rubbery.

I think I would do much better with cooked sushi.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It's from Sushi Yawa in NYC.

Tiger Roll - Salmon, tuna & avocado inside, topped w. salmon, tuna, eel, crunch, tobiko & scallion

This thing is gooooooooooood! Posted this picture on iG (instagram).

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've only had raw sushi. It was raw salmon and I think it was called an alaska roll. I put so much tabasco on it to kill any bacteria, I wasn't able to enjoy it. It was real rubbery.

Try Shrimp Tempura Rolls.

I started out with what most call fake sushi... Cali Rolls. Worked my way up to Shrimp Tempura and now I'm trying almost anything, once!

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Don't think about what you put in your mouth. It takes time to get used to it. If your worried about disease, U.S. law requires fish served raw to be frozen to kill off parasites.

If you want to give it another go: Research the best sushi place around you. Nothing trendy, if people complain about it being busy then don't go there. No buffet's.

Start with cooked sushi for your first visit. On the next visit get a Temaki (Cone shaped hand roll) with raw fish and eat it first while your palette is clean. The ginger is not for snacking on or to top your sushi, it is there to cleanse your palette between different cuts of sushi. If anything you can use the ginger and eat it further into your meal. Dousing your sushi in sauce is offensive to the chef. If you must do that, don't sit at the bar. Try at least one raw fish Temaki on each visit and you will eventually find something you like without ending up with a platter full of makimono (rolls) you don't like while still enjoying the cooked sushi. If your see something listed as raw with masago(microscopic fish eggs) it's entirely possible it is the only raw item on the dish so ask about it.

Sushi is about alot more then the food. If you research sushi bar etiquette you will find entire books worth of information on how to eat at a sushi bar. It's allot of fun and helps you learn about a new culture at the same time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ironsoulreaver,

This is a great thread topic! I haven't had any sushi in a while. That reminds me that I need to visit a local sushi bar very soon.

Mmm, sushi. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss