Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWaah View Post
    Yahoo only reports the short interest for ADRs.
    Holly molly (yeah, need to update my curse words). I learned something today! Thanks!

So, NASDAQ publishes short interest data twice a month, but they still haven't published NOK's November numbers. Why can I not find more current short interest data?
    I'd love to see a graph depicting the combined short interest of NOK and NOK1V over time, day by day or week by week. You know of any place I can get that? If that isn't available, do you know why not?

a5cent,

I don't know of any one that has such a graph, it would be nice though. The only places I could think of are pay sites like stockcharts.com. They probably have enough flexibility that you could build the graph yourself. Maybe, that's really just a shot in the dark.

The regulations on reporting short interests aren't that restrictive. So NASDAQ just gets reports that way. The europeans require much more frequent updates however, and I think they update at least once a week, maybe even every other day. I don't have the time to look for it right now, but I'll try to find a link for you.

Oh, and Yahoo Finance isn't so great with their calculations sometimes. You always need to double check their figures, just an fyi.
    Thanked by:
    a5cent 
    LikeWaah, okay, hope you find something. I'll check out the European side.

Thanks for the heads up on Yahoo finance. I don't rely on Yahoo finance myself. It's just the first site that Google listed including short interest on NOK. For financial data and statistics I rely on my online stock broker (optionsXpress).

I have a decent understanding of the terminology and laws that apply in the finance world, but I don't invest purely on "technicals". I am interested in the policies and politics of the tech world and of course the tech markets. I have direct ties to people that work at many of the major players, including Nokia and Microsoft. These are the things I base my investing decisions on... and of course my own understanding of technology, particularly software, although I'm more the operating systems guy than the enterprise software or web developer.

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    LikeWaah, okay, hope you find something. I'll check out the European side.

Thanks for the heads up on Yahoo finance. I don't rely on Yahoo finance myself. It's just the first site that Google listed including short interest on NOK. For financial data and statistics I rely on my online stock broker (optionsXpress).
    Here you are:
    Short positions in Helsinki (Look for Nokia Ojy)

I bookmarked it because it can be a pita to find if you don't know what to look for. Someone else posted it and I'm just sharing it. Yeah, Yahoo caught me once, and I've just stopped relying on it since, haha.

I have a decent understanding of the terminology and laws that apply in the finance world, but I don't invest purely on "technicals". I am interested in the policies and politics of the tech world and of course the tech markets. I have direct ties to people that work at many of the major players, including Nokia and Microsoft. These are the things I base my investing decisions on... and of course my own understanding of technology, particularly software, although I'm more the operating systems guy than the enterprise software or web developer.
    Definitely. I don't trade just on technicals either, but some people do, so I like to keep track of them. Also, I like using technicals to gauge my entry and exit points. I also base my decisions more so on fundamentals and direction of the industry. I'm also a contrarian, so I'm always looking for beat up stocks, which is what led me to Nokia in the first place.

Having a background in the industry you are investing in is important. It really helps you filter out the BS and stick to things that actually have a hope of becoming reality. I also find keeping a long term outlook helps keep my sanity. Otherwise the volatility in NOK would indeed drive me wild.
    Thanked by:
    a5cent 
    Thanks for the tips LikeWaah, greatly appreciated!

I raise my glass! To the rise of Nokia! Cheers!
    LikeWaah likes this.

Fairly big move today! Already reported by WP Central: Nokia rising: stock breaks through $4 a share upon news of strong demand | Windows Phone Central

I am hoping it closes above $4.00 today. If we can break $4.25 this week, it would be huge! I think it's more realistic to be in a range of $3.90 - $4.10 for the week, unless some news about sales is reported.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    $4.27 peak for today so far. it really is looking quite promising for nokia

It's been climbing and holding pretty nicely. When it dropped to 1.70 in july i reopened my brokerage account. bought 600 shares at 2.83, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Only wish I had more money to throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by zzdarkwingduck View Post
    It's been climbing and holding pretty nicely. When it dropped to 1.70 in july i reopened my brokerage account. bought 600 shares at 2.83, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Only wish I had more money to throw at it.
    I wish I had an opportunity to establish a larger position myself. Oh well, there will always be another opportunity. However, I think NOK has much more to run, it might be worth buying 2014 calls here. If I were to increase my exposure to NOK, that's how I would do it.

The close at $4.20 was totally unexpected to me, but you can bet I am happy!

I'm not sure what to make of this run up. I do expect some profit taking/consolidation, especially as there are a bunch of negative pieces coming out today about Nokia. A lot of it is old news though, if you have been following NOK at all this past quarter.

I really, really, really can't wait until Q4 2012 results are released though. If they turn a profit, I am going to treat myself.

I expected a pull back today, but was pleasantly surprised at it holding. In fact, it even went up a penny!

Could be related to news of China Mobile offering a subsidy for the Lumia 920T.

Oh! Also, the 50SMA ($3.08) is right below the 200SMA ($3.09). This means, barring a crazy move downwards, we should see the 50SMA cross the 200SMA tomorrow, which is a generally bullish signal in TA. Of course, technical traders are going to look for confirmation before piling in, but I see this as a positive catalyst for NOK. We may see ~$4.50 by the end of the year.

Down to $3.99 today, on a down day. Not too worried about this dip, but if you have been looking for a buy opportunity, this is a good one!

Still many positive news for NOK, 02 deal, 360buy.com deal, and technically speaking, the 50SMA has just crossed over the 200SMA -- a Golden Cross.

Great news for Nokia!! Nokia's Q4 performance exceeds expectations | Windows Phone Central

I don't know if we'll see $5 by earnings, but we sure are pretty close! I'm all grins today. :D

I bought the 920 on launch day, and I've been buying some NOK the last few weeks. I bought some yesterday on the pullback. I was kinda shocked when I checked it today. I'm wishing I had more money available to put in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B T C View Post
    I'm wishing I had more money available to put in it.
    Welcome to the club, don't we all ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LikeWaah View Post
    Yahoo only reports the short interest for ADRs.
    Although NOK short interest is now slightly lower than it was a month ago, short interest on NOKV1 actually rose another 2%. Apparently, we are still a bit away from a short squeeze. I'm starting to wish I knew not just the amount of shorted stock, but also at what price points they were shorted.

On a side note, I'm wondering what led Nokia to release sales numbers early. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm looking forward to Q1 of 2013 which will include sales in China.

Guys/Girls. this is not a easy road, yes NOK closed out at $4.49 NOK has done all the right things to keep the cash flowing rather than bleeding out. it's well run company. even when the stock tanked Nokia still had a hefty 6 billion on the back burner. NOK is not a short term stock. this is a 24-32 month stock meaning that in that time frame the stock should grow steadily. with new products coming out in a few months with the deals they have in India and in China they are in a very good position. more so in China than anywhere else. this year we will see Nokia high end and mid to lower end devices on all US carriers. but for me it's not the US market that I'm looking at for this stock rather it's China and India. that is where it's going to make or break Nokia. currently all things are pointing in the right direction. so yes if you have some extra cash the stock is still cheap at under 5 bucks a share. I would buy for the long the haul 24--32 months.
    a5cent and LikeWaah like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    Guys/Girls. this is not a easy road.
    I would second everything you've stated. I don't know what everyone else around here thinks, but the opinions I've read so far do suggest (as far as I can tell) that the people are aware this is a mid/long term investment.
    jabtano likes this.

BBC Reporting Nokia sold 4.4 million Lumia phones last quarter. 86 million total phones sold. Shares up sharply in after hours trading......

I'm a buy and hold guy.

Today was not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by B T C View Post
    Today was not great.
    Nope. I don't know why, but guess that Nokia deciding not to pay a dividend started a decline that triggered a lot of automated sell offs as the stock price fell.

It will climb again, but will require good news out of U.S. and Chinese markets to climb over $5. At this point we have neither, and those are the two biggest markets.

Global Posts
    1,432 Global Posts
    Nope. I don't know why, but guess that Nokia deciding not to pay a dividend started a decline that triggered a lot of automated sell offs as the stock price fell.

It will climb again, but will require good news out of U.S. and Chinese markets to climb over $5. At this point we have neither, and those are the two biggest markets.
    From what I've been able to gather the decline of their Asha line led to less money from emerging markets. They were able to make more money because the Lumia line was profitable. Personally I don't think the decline of the Asha line is too terrible since they are moving Windows Phones to pretty aggressive price points in those same markets.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    From what I've been able to gather the decline of their Asha line led to less money from emerging markets.
    Where did you get that? Source? I'm reading the exact opposite.

Asha is apparently a huge help in keeping Nokia's head above water, but neither Asha or Lumia sales could compensate for the crash and burn of Symbian (sales volume is now almost zero). Both Asha and Lumia are bringing in money, just not as much as Symbian once did.

Well. **** just got real!

Global Posts
    4,719 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I'm expecting at least 50% gain from Nokia.
    Good news for the investors.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast