Nokia Stock

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't have money to invest, having spent 40% of Obama's first term out of work, but I did put 100 shares in my Roth this summer at $2.57, and I plan on holding it long term. If I come up with more to invest, I'll certainly put more into NOK while it's low, though.

That's the way to do it, bit by bit. Also, NOK pays a dividend, so some of that can go towards purchasing additional shares.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah, didn't know they paid a dividend. I'm new to the Roth, never played stocks, other than to "day trade" my 401k as a friend once called it. Watch the funds and shift as they rise and fall... Who knows, maybe I helped myself, maybe not. Anyway, I bought NOK because I had the chance and I believe in what they're doing.

I did put $500 in WorldCom once, hoping to see them bounce back, though.... LOL! But back then I could afford to lose that $500... Maybe I should just stick with computers...

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah, didn't know they paid a dividend. I'm new to the Roth, never played stocks, other than to "day trade" my 401k as a friend once called it. Watch the funds and shift as they rise and fall... Who knows, maybe I helped myself, maybe not. Anyway, I bought NOK because I had the chance and I believe in what they're doing.

I did put $500 in WorldCom once, hoping to see them bounce back, though.... LOL! But back then I could afford to lose that $500... Maybe I should just stick with computers...

I suggest sticking with what you know. That's what allows me to be so confident about Nokia. I feel very comfortable about their direction and their chances for success. I stay away from financials precisely because I don't fully understand what's going on there.

You 'day traded' your 401k? Well, since it's a tax-deferred account you'll be okay, but if it was a taxed account, the taxes could have come back to bite you in the butt.

Yes, they pay a 6.53% dividend (based on the current price and most recent payout), which is above average for tech companies. This has been speculation that they may not pay a dividend in 2013, but it has not been decided officially, and if they show an operating profit this coming quarter, I doubt they'll eliminate the dividend. I think the worst that could happen is a reduction in the dividend.

What I'm really hoping for in the future is a dividend increase! I would be so happy if I could be earning 10-15% on my investment from just dividends on a yearly basis! :grin:

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, NOK has recovered nearly all the losses from yesterday. So far I've noticed NOK is usually down or flat on fridays, but today it's doing well. I anticipate more moves upwards next week. Maybe we will break $4, hopefully we can find support above $4.10. Can't wait until $5, the ball will really be rolling by then.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, NOK has recovered nearly all the losses from yesterday. So far I've noticed NOK is usually down or flat on fridays, but today it's doing well. I anticipate more moves upwards next week. Maybe we will break $4, hopefully we can find support above $4.10. Can't wait until $5, the ball will really be rolling by then.

Agree. A LOT of institutions have policies in place that don't allow them to trade penny stocks (SEC defines these as stocks that trade below $5). At $5 these institutions will get back in the game... the rolling ball as you say. The only question is if/when Nokia will reach $5... I think that will depend largely on three things... China, China and China.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Agree. A LOT of institutions have policies in place that don't allow them to trade penny stocks (SEC defines these as stocks that trade below $5). At $5 these institutions will get back in the game... the rolling ball as you say. The only question is if/when Nokia will reach $5... I think that will depend largely on three things... China, China and China.

Exactly. And add to that, the fact that NOK is one of the most heavily shorted stocks (~18% I believe) and we have a very strong short squeeze primed and ready to explode!

The pessimist in me says we won't see $5 until earnings. The optimist in me says we'll see $5 on hype prior to earnings. The realist in me says that we may see $5 before earnings, but we can't trust it as a support until earnings.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My stock guy is trying to encourage me to sell at $4. I bought 200 shares at $3.30 right before it went back down in the $2 range for quite sometime. I'm thinking of holding onto it longer, I think that $5 is realistic and perhaps higher in the long term. Thoughts?

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My stock guy is trying to encourage me to sell at $4. I bought 200 shares at $3.30 right before it went back down in the $2 range for quite sometime. I'm thinking of holding onto it longer, I think that $5 is realistic and perhaps higher in the long term. Thoughts?

I would hold. You have a 21% gain so far, but I think it can be much more. What is your guys logic behind selling?

IMO, there is a clear uptrend, both in terms of technicals and business conditions. The only thing we are waiting for now are the fundamentals (earnings) to confirm. I see absolutely no reason to sell now. I would personally hold until after earnings, but it's your money, do with it what you will.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. And add to that, the fact that NOK is one of the most heavily shorted stocks (~18% I believe) and we have a very strong short squeeze primed and ready to explode!

The pessimist in me says we won't see $5 until earnings. The optimist in me says we'll see $5 on hype prior to earnings. The realist in me says that we may see $5 before earnings, but we can't trust it as a support until earnings.

Hmm... according to yahoo finance short interest was about 8% on the 15th of November. It's probably much lower now, as I assume we are already witnessing the effects of that short squeeze.

$5 by earnings? By January 29th? Wow, that is soon. I'm confident Nokia will hit $5 at some point, but I'm not sure earnings will get us there. A stock buy back might (unlikely just around the corner).

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... according to yahoo finance short interest was about 8% on the 15th of November. It's probably much lower now, as I assume we are already witnessing the effects of that short squeeze.

$5 by earnings? By January 29th? Wow, that is soon. I'm confident Nokia will hit $5 at some point, but I'm not sure earnings will get us there. A stock buy back might (unlikely just around the corner).

Yahoo only reports the short interest for ADRs. There's approximately 10% short interest on NOK1v, for a combined 18%. Those figures only include firms that have a greater than 0.5% interest. Some firms have been winding down slowly, but there's still a lot to go. So yes, I think what we are seeing is part of that squeeze, but IMO, there's a lot more to go.

Yeah, I agree it's optimistic. Even that's an understatement. Honestly, I hope it doesn't make it to $5 too soon, because I'm hoping to accumulate more. A buy back would be awesome, but I agree that it's probably not in the cards. If anything it'd be a toss up between a dividend or buy backs.

At the rate this run is going, the 50SMA is going up sharply ready to cross the 200SMA. $5 is definitely in the cards if we continue at this pace.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yahoo only reports the short interest for ADRs.

Holly molly (yeah, need to update my curse words). I learned something today! Thanks!

So, NASDAQ publishes short interest data twice a month, but they still haven't published NOK's November numbers. Why can I not find more current short interest data?
I'd love to see a graph depicting the combined short interest of NOK and NOK1V over time, day by day or week by week. You know of any place I can get that? If that isn't available, do you know why not?

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
a5cent,

I don't know of any one that has such a graph, it would be nice though. The only places I could think of are pay sites like stockcharts.com. They probably have enough flexibility that you could build the graph yourself. Maybe, that's really just a shot in the dark.

The regulations on reporting short interests aren't that restrictive. So NASDAQ just gets reports that way. The europeans require much more frequent updates however, and I think they update at least once a week, maybe even every other day. I don't have the time to look for it right now, but I'll try to find a link for you.

Oh, and Yahoo Finance isn't so great with their calculations sometimes. You always need to double check their figures, just an fyi.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
LikeWaah, okay, hope you find something. I'll check out the European side.

Thanks for the heads up on Yahoo finance. I don't rely on Yahoo finance myself. It's just the first site that Google listed including short interest on NOK. For financial data and statistics I rely on my online stock broker (optionsXpress).

I have a decent understanding of the terminology and laws that apply in the finance world, but I don't invest purely on "technicals". I am interested in the policies and politics of the tech world and of course the tech markets. I have direct ties to people that work at many of the major players, including Nokia and Microsoft. These are the things I base my investing decisions on... and of course my own understanding of technology, particularly software, although I'm more the operating systems guy than the enterprise software or web developer.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
LikeWaah, okay, hope you find something. I'll check out the European side.

Thanks for the heads up on Yahoo finance. I don't rely on Yahoo finance myself. It's just the first site that Google listed including short interest on NOK. For financial data and statistics I rely on my online stock broker (optionsXpress).

Here you are:
Short positions in Helsinki (Look for Nokia Ojy)

I bookmarked it because it can be a pita to find if you don't know what to look for. Someone else posted it and I'm just sharing it. Yeah, Yahoo caught me once, and I've just stopped relying on it since, haha.

I have a decent understanding of the terminology and laws that apply in the finance world, but I don't invest purely on "technicals". I am interested in the policies and politics of the tech world and of course the tech markets. I have direct ties to people that work at many of the major players, including Nokia and Microsoft. These are the things I base my investing decisions on... and of course my own understanding of technology, particularly software, although I'm more the operating systems guy than the enterprise software or web developer.

Definitely. I don't trade just on technicals either, but some people do, so I like to keep track of them. Also, I like using technicals to gauge my entry and exit points. I also base my decisions more so on fundamentals and direction of the industry. I'm also a contrarian, so I'm always looking for beat up stocks, which is what led me to Nokia in the first place.

Having a background in the industry you are investing in is important. It really helps you filter out the BS and stick to things that actually have a hope of becoming reality. I also find keeping a long term outlook helps keep my sanity. Otherwise the volatility in NOK would indeed drive me wild.

zzdarkwingduck

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's been climbing and holding pretty nicely. When it dropped to 1.70 in july i reopened my brokerage account. bought 600 shares at 2.83, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Only wish I had more money to throw at it.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's been climbing and holding pretty nicely. When it dropped to 1.70 in july i reopened my brokerage account. bought 600 shares at 2.83, I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Only wish I had more money to throw at it.

I wish I had an opportunity to establish a larger position myself. Oh well, there will always be another opportunity. However, I think NOK has much more to run, it might be worth buying 2014 calls here. If I were to increase my exposure to NOK, that's how I would do it.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The close at $4.20 was totally unexpected to me, but you can bet I am happy! :grin:

I'm not sure what to make of this run up. I do expect some profit taking/consolidation, especially as there are a bunch of negative pieces coming out today about Nokia. A lot of it is old news though, if you have been following NOK at all this past quarter.

I really, really, really can't wait until Q4 2012 results are released though. If they turn a profit, I am going to treat myself. :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs