Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By WPenvy
  • 1 Post By StevesBalls
  • 1 Post By hopmedic
  • 1 Post By brmiller1976
  • 2 Post By brmiller1976
  • 2 Post By Reflexx
  • 1 Post By WPenvy
  • 2 Post By a5cent
  • 1 Post By unstoppablekem
  1. ImAdrian23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Case #1: Horrible Graphics:
    They release horrible looking apps but with brilliant ideas behind them and except the game to be extremly popular.
    Fix:
    Make your graphics colorful, outstanding and hi-resoultion.

    Case #2: Lazy *** Developers:
    They are too lazy to create a WP8 app.
    Fix:
    ...

    Sorry, but I had to make a rank. I cannot take it anymore. I really want Brave and other great looking 3D apps, but if you are lazy and give us horrible designed games, you'll never sell your product. Also, just cause it looks great doesn't mean it's going be a succes. If you won't update it, don't expect people to keep playing.

    To all developers, thanks for releasing your applications to WP's marketplace, but please take care of them (update/release new version/etc).
    Last edited by ImAdrian23; 12-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.
  2. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    I hate Windows Phone's developers.

    Case #1: Horrible Graphics:
    They release horrible looking apps but with brilliant ideas behind them and except the game to be extremly popular.
    Fix:
    Make your graphics colorful, outstanding and hi-resoultion.

    Case #2: Lazy *** Developers:
    They are too lazy to create a WP8 app.
    Fix:
    ...

    Sorry, but I had to make a rank. I cannot take it anymore. I really want Brave and other great looking 3D apps, but if you are lazy and give us horrible designed games, you'll never sell your product. Also, just cause it looks great doesn't mean it's going be a succes. If you won't update it, don't expect people to keep playing.

    To all developers, thanks for releasing your applications to WP's marketplace, but please take care of them (update/release new version/etc).
    Maybe you should try being a developer first before you start talking sh*t about their work. People that are quite good and gifted at writing code often aren't gifted at design. Certain things will simply be missed by us from not giving it a second thought. That's where designers come in and make it look all nice and pretty for the users. The code works as fully intended, but users (as they do best) will find things we miss.

    Try it, talk to some developers, go to a Microsoft planned event.

    -Sincerely,

    Someone that appreciates their hard work and gives constructive criticism and feedback where it's due.
  3. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I hate rich people because they don't give me their money.

    ...

    jdevenberg likes this.
  4. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I'm a developer, (as a hobby, teaching myself) not of games, but frankly you give me no motivation to do anything to please you even if I were. Maybe you should try to do it before you criticize what we do.
    WPenvy likes this.
  5. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    To be fair, OP makes a good point about what sells.

    We're in a new world where products are expected to have a high level of performance, reliability, aesthetic quality, speed, and design.
    ImAdrian23 likes this.
  6. ImAdrian23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I'm a developer, (as a hobby, teaching myself) not of games, but frankly you give me no motivation to do anything to please you even if I were. Maybe you should try to do it before you criticize what we do.
    You got it wrong. I was reffering only to developers that have big expectations from their apps but they do not update them nor make them run faster, have a better quallity.
  7. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Well, you didn't say that in your header. You said "I hate developers."

    And Steve Ballmer disagrees. He loves developers developers developers developers developers developers developers...
    WPenvy and a5cent like this.
  8. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    A lot of developers have great ideas, but they don't have the money to hire designers and artists. I know many devs who truly believe that the game mechanics by themselves will sell their games, because the mechanics are really what makes it a joy to play. But they haven't really faced the reality that people like pretty things.
    a5cent and WPenvy like this.
  9. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    A lot of developers have great ideas, but they don't have the money to hire designers and artists. I know many devs who truly believe that the game mechanics by themselves will sell their games, because the mechanics are really what makes it a joy to play. But they haven't really faced the reality that people like pretty things.
    Completely agree. I wouldn't have understood this myself if i had not attended (as a hobbyist) a Microsoft conference hosted last year. Most of the developers also came with along with designers that they pass their code onto to look nice and neat.

    It's all a matter of perspective i suppose.
  10. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    871 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    The lazy developers are killing the windows phone experience.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  11. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    A lot of us are doing it on the side, some of us are doing it to teach ourselves, some to expand what we were taught before, some for fun, and some to try to make a career. There are many different motivators. But what you said, was "I hate developers." That's a pretty wide net. That being the case, you should probably get rid of your smart phone, and go back to the tin can and string method of communication, as that's about as far back as you're going to have to go in order to avoid developers.

    Like WinningGuy said, we can't all afford designers or artitsts for our apps. Yes, I agree that there are a lot of games and apps that could be made to be more appealing, but what do you want for $1.49? Not many of the developers out there are getting rich. Yes, there are occasional hits that make some good money for the developers who wrote them, but those are by FAR the exception, not the rule.

    I've got four apps in the store. None are anything to write home about, one I'd like to rewrite as it's rather junk, but I wrote it to teach myself, and I'd take it down, but for some reason it's the most downloaded, and continues to be so, despite my expectations.... Go figure.... When I get time, I'll rewrite it, and maybe I'll actually not be so ashamed of it that I'll tell you what it is.... But I was learning, right? The others? One is rated two stars better than an official name app that it competes against, and that one I'd like to add features to, but I can't get the numbers up. The other two are just little rinky-dink apps that I wrote to learn some basic stuff, and thought, "why not publish it? It can't hurt." There's nothing stellar about them, but they're nothing to be ashamed of, either, I don't think, at least not for a near-novice. But life gets in the way and I haven't had time to continue with them yet.... So anyway, I've got these four apps in the store, all are free downloads with ads in them, using ad rotator, and ad duplex, along with MS Pub center ads. What did I make last month? Something just over $22.00. Yeah... It pays for the membership in the dev center, and a bit more, but not much. But hey, it's a hobby when I have time for it, and I learn a bit here and there from it. But can I afford a designer? Not a chance. Of course, I'm not in the gaming arena, and that's where the money is, and I realize that.
  12. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteSomeTime View Post
    The lazy developers are killing the windows phone experience.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    <3 the developers.

    Keep up the good work y'all. Don't listen to people like this
    hopmedic likes this.
  13. a5cent's Avatar

    Posts
    6,398 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,404 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Ignorance based hate I would call this. Good replies people.

    Anyway, to people who are interested in this topic, I would recommend taking a look at the documentary Indie Game.

    It's completely non-technical and at points it gets somewhat too "esoteric" for my taste, but it does give non-developers a glimpse of the passion and effort required to develop a game that can (or at least has the potential to) sell. It focuses on console gaming, not mobile, which means the games discussed in the documentary sell for approximately $20 and target the world's largest gaming market (XBOX). The average selling price for a WP game is around $2 (pulled that out of thin air) and targets a much smaller market to begin with. Just keep that in mind while viewing.

    To the OP. I'm also one of those people you hate. So I hope you will watch this documentary. I hope it will change your mind about developers.
    WPenvy and hopmedic like this.
  14. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    I hate Windows Phone's developers.

    Case #1: Horrible Graphics:
    They release horrible looking apps but with brilliant ideas behind them and except the game to be extremly popular.
    Fix:
    Make your graphics colorful, outstanding and hi-resoultion.

    Case #2: Lazy *** Developers:
    They are too lazy to create a WP8 app.
    Fix:
    ...

    Sorry, but I had to make a rank. I cannot take it anymore. I really want Brave and other great looking 3D apps, but if you are lazy and give us horrible designed games, you'll never sell your product. Also, just cause it looks great doesn't mean it's going be a succes. If you won't update it, don't expect people to keep playing.

    To all developers, thanks for releasing your applications to WP's marketplace, but please take care of them (update/release new version/etc).
    I'm a dev, and that hurt my feelings.
    WPenvy likes this.
  15. ImAdrian23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Someone just close this topic and erase it. You are all missing my point. I do not have ALL developers, I hate those who HAVE BIG EXPECTATIONS from their crappy apps.
    Stop telling me loads of information that I'm already aware of and I didn't bring it in here. I do respect the developers up to a point. Don't say WP Eco's the fault when your app is not a success.
    Nevermind, I'm just 17 years old so I might see the world different at the moment being... I did not intend to hurt your feelings. Good night folks :)

    The point of the thread was to show you (developers) what us (constumers) really want. I'd rather play something with not many levels at first but with entertaining graphics, than something that looks out-dated in terms of graphics. I was just giving you that kick, that everyone needs if he/she wants to succeed.

    Edit: Changed the title. Hopefully you will understand what's the thread all about.
  16. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    Someone just close this topic and erase it. You are all missing my point. I do not have ALL developers, I hate those who HAVE BIG EXPECTATIONS from their crappy apps.
    Stop telling me loads of information that I'm already aware of and I didn't bring it in here. I do respect the developers up to a point. Don't say WP Eco's the fault when your app is not a success.
    Nevermind, I'm just 17 years old so I might see the world different at the moment being... I did not intend to hurt your feelings. Good night folks :)

    The point of the thread was to show you (developers) what us (constumers) really want. I'd rather play something with not many levels at first but with entertaining graphics, than something that looks out-dated in terms of graphics. I was just giving you that kick, that everyone needs if he/she wants to succeed.
    We have games from gameloft coming soon with xbox live, such as MC4 and Nova 3.
  17. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAdrian23 View Post
    Nevermind, I'm just 17 years old so I might see the world different at the moment being... I did not intend to hurt your feelings. Good night folks :)

    Edit: Changed the title. Hopefully you will understand what's the thread all about.
    much better
  18. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    BTW, I'm 15...
  19. ImAdrian23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    We have games from gameloft coming soon with xbox live, such as MC4 and Nova 3.
    Aren't you all tired of hearing the word "coming soon"? Microsoft's "coming soon" is never that soon as it may seem to be. I just hope they don't screw us and let us wait in pains for more than 1 month... - developers, not Microsoft

Similar Threads

  1. 1000 Developers working on Windows Mobile 7
    By Beaver_2 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions