Things a developer should improve

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Case #1: Horrible Graphics:
They release horrible looking apps but with brilliant ideas behind them and except the game to be extremly popular.
Fix:
Make your graphics colorful, outstanding and hi-resoultion.

Case #2: Lazy Ass Developers:
They are too lazy to create a WP8 app.
Fix:

Sorry, but I had to make a rank. I cannot take it anymore. :angry:I really want Brave and other great looking 3D apps, but if you are lazy and give us horrible designed games, you'll never sell your product. Also, just cause it looks great doesn't mean it's going be a succes. If you won't update it, don't expect people to keep playing.

To all developers, thanks for releasing your applications to WP's marketplace, but please take care of them (update/release new version/etc).

Last edited:

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: I hate developers

I hate Windows Phone's developers.

They release horrible looking apps but with brilliant ideas behind them and except the game to be extremly popular.
Fix:

Fix:

Sorry, but I had to make a rank. I cannot take it anymore. :angry:I really want Brave and other great looking 3D apps, but if you are lazy and give us horrible designed games, you'll never sell your product. Also, just cause it looks great doesn't mean it's going be a succes. If you won't update it, don't expect people to keep playing.

To all developers, thanks for releasing your applications to WP's marketplace, but please take care of them (update/release new version/etc).

Maybe you should try being a developer first before you start talking sh*t about their work. People that are quite good and gifted at writing code often aren't gifted at design. Certain things will simply be missed by us from not giving it a second thought. That's where designers come in and make it look all nice and pretty for the users. The code works as fully intended, but users (as they do best) will find things we miss.

Try it, talk to some developers, go to a Microsoft planned event.

-Sincerely,

Someone that appreciates their hard work and gives constructive criticism and feedback where it's due.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a developer, (as a hobby, teaching myself) not of games, but frankly you give me no motivation to do anything to please you even if I were. Maybe you should try to do it before you criticize what we do.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

To be fair, OP makes a good point about what sells.

We're in a new world where products are expected to have a high level of performance, reliability, aesthetic quality, speed, and design.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm a developer, (as a hobby, teaching myself) not of games, but frankly you give me no motivation to do anything to please you even if I were. Maybe you should try to do it before you criticize what we do.
You got it wrong. I was reffering only to developers that have big expectations from their apps but they do not update them nor make them run faster, have a better quallity.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Well, you didn't say that in your header. You said "I hate developers."

And Steve Ballmer disagrees. He loves developers developers developers developers developers developers developers...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

A lot of developers have great ideas, but they don't have the money to hire designers and artists. I know many devs who truly believe that the game mechanics by themselves will sell their games, because the mechanics are really what makes it a joy to play. But they haven't really faced the reality that people like pretty things.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

A lot of developers have great ideas, but they don't have the money to hire designers and artists. I know many devs who truly believe that the game mechanics by themselves will sell their games, because the mechanics are really what makes it a joy to play. But they haven't really faced the reality that people like pretty things.

Completely agree. I wouldn't have understood this myself if i had not attended (as a hobbyist) a Microsoft conference hosted last year. Most of the developers also came with along with designers that they pass their code onto to look nice and neat.

It's all a matter of perspective i suppose.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

A lot of us are doing it on the side, some of us are doing it to teach ourselves, some to expand what we were taught before, some for fun, and some to try to make a career. There are many different motivators. But what you said, was "I hate developers." That's a pretty wide net. That being the case, you should probably get rid of your smart phone, and go back to the tin can and string method of communication, as that's about as far back as you're going to have to go in order to avoid developers.

Like WinningGuy said, we can't all afford designers or artitsts for our apps. Yes, I agree that there are a lot of games and apps that could be made to be more appealing, but what do you want for $1.49? Not many of the developers out there are getting rich. Yes, there are occasional hits that make some good money for the developers who wrote them, but those are by FAR the exception, not the rule.

I've got four apps in the store. None are anything to write home about, one I'd like to rewrite as it's rather junk, but I wrote it to teach myself, and I'd take it down, but for some reason it's the most downloaded, and continues to be so, despite my expectations.... Go figure.... When I get time, I'll rewrite it, and maybe I'll actually not be so ashamed of it that I'll tell you what it is.... But I was learning, right? The others? One is rated two stars better than an official name app that it competes against, and that one I'd like to add features to, but I can't get the numbers up. The other two are just little rinky-dink apps that I wrote to learn some basic stuff, and thought, "why not publish it? It can't hurt." There's nothing stellar about them, but they're nothing to be ashamed of, either, I don't think, at least not for a near-novice. But life gets in the way and I haven't had time to continue with them yet.... So anyway, I've got these four apps in the store, all are free downloads with ads in them, using ad rotator, and ad duplex, along with MS Pub center ads. What did I make last month? Something just over $22.00. Yeah... It pays for the membership in the dev center, and a bit more, but not much. But hey, it's a hobby when I have time for it, and I learn a bit here and there from it. But can I afford a designer? Not a chance. Of course, I'm not in the gaming arena, and that's where the money is, and I realize that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Ignorance based hate I would call this. Good replies people.

Anyway, to people who are interested in this topic, I would recommend taking a look at the documentary Indie Game.

It's completely non-technical and at points it gets somewhat too "esoteric" for my taste, but it does give non-developers a glimpse of the passion and effort required to develop a game that can (or at least has the potential to) sell. It focuses on console gaming, not mobile, which means the games discussed in the documentary sell for approximately $20 and target the world's largest gaming market (XBOX). The average selling price for a WP game is around $2 (pulled that out of thin air) and targets a much smaller market to begin with. Just keep that in mind while viewing.

To the OP. I'm also one of those people you hate. So I hope you will watch this documentary. I hope it will change your mind about developers.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate Windows Phone's developers.

Fix:

Fix:

I'm a dev, and that hurt my feelings.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Someone just close this topic and erase it. You are all missing my point. I do not have ALL developers, I hate those who HAVE BIG EXPECTATIONS from their crappy apps.
Stop telling me loads of information that I'm already aware of and I didn't bring it in here. I do respect the developers up to a point. Don't say WP Eco's the fault when your app is not a success.
Nevermind, I'm just 17 years old so I might see the world different at the moment being... I did not intend to hurt your feelings. Good night folks :)

The point of the thread was to show you (developers) what us (constumers) really want. I'd rather play something with not many levels at first but with entertaining graphics, than something that looks out-dated in terms of graphics. I was just giving you that kick, that everyone needs if he/she wants to succeed.

Edit: Changed the title. Hopefully you will understand what's the thread all about.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate developers

Someone just close this topic and erase it. You are all missing my point. I do not have ALL developers, I hate those who HAVE BIG EXPECTATIONS from their crappy apps.
Stop telling me loads of information that I'm already aware of and I didn't bring it in here. I do respect the developers up to a point. Don't say WP Eco's the fault when your app is not a success.
Nevermind, I'm just 17 years old so I might see the world different at the moment being... I did not intend to hurt your feelings. Good night folks :)

The point of the thread was to show you (developers) what us (constumers) really want. I'd rather play something with not many levels at first but with entertaining graphics, than something that looks out-dated in terms of graphics. I was just giving you that kick, that everyone needs if he/she wants to succeed.

We have games from gameloft coming soon with xbox live, such as MC4 and Nova 3.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

We have games from gameloft coming soon with xbox live, such as MC4 and Nova 3.
Aren't you all tired of hearing the word "coming soon"? Microsoft's "coming soon" is never that soon as it may seem to be. I just hope they don't screw us and let us wait in pains for more than 1 month... - developers, not Microsoft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05