Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YCSMD

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
RE: I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

I love it when individuals voice valid complaints about WP and they get "******" responses such as, "buh bye", " see ya", etc.

Nothing the OP said was invalid and his/her history with WP does not make their decision a knee-jerk reaction.

Some of you guys have a strange loyalty/obsession with WP. I'm starting to think a lot of the posters here work for Microsoft. Sheesh.
Yeah, pretty sad. If they worked for Microsoft I doubt they would say stuff like that though.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

I love it when individuals voice valid complaints about WP and they get "******" responses such as, "buh bye", " see ya", etc.

Nothing the OP said was invalid and his/her history with WP does not make their decision a knee-jerk reaction.

Some of you guys have a strange loyalty/obsession with WP. I'm starting to think a lot of the posters here work for Microsoft. Sheesh.

I agree, a lot of hostility over here, the op has a longer history then all these newbies, yet they make him look like the inexperienced new guy lmao

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Considering the fragmentation of Android, I would ensure the phone you get, is actually compatible with your car. Other than that, I can't offer any sympathy, sorry. I could care less about the "big apps". I like the OS for what it does now, not what it MAY have in the future. But, I know some people such as yourself are dependant on seeing these apps on the OS. To me, it seems a little petty to be worring about apps. But hey, I think most things people worry about are petty.

Good luck in your endevor.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

That was my tipping point when I went to iOS from webOS 2 years ago. When WP8 came out, it had 55 of my 62 most used apps available, so I made the switch from iOS.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm Leaving Windows phone for a while. Gonna come back for Nokia EOS :)

Hey Guys.

I'm considering leaving Windows phone for a while. Since I'm getting a brand new Galaxy Nexus or a HTC DNA. I'm not leaving because of any of it's issues. I'm considering because I want to try Android. I likely gonna come back for the Nokia Lumia EOS. and the tiles always get ya. lol. :-D. Gonna be one **** of a awesome phone by the way :). I love Windows phone. bottom of my heart. But I love to try something new sometimes. I'll always have Windows 8. Which I love :). But I do agree. with people. the tiles always leaves a mark on you. So I'm doing what my heart is doing. not my brain. and coming back soon. I promise :).

So Guys. I will still love to follow Windows phone news. aka WPcentral, Wmpoweruser. But leaving Windows phone for a while.

So goodbye Windows phone. for a while :grin::smile:

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Considering the fragmentation of Android, I would ensure the phone you get, is actually compatible with your car. Other than that, I can't offer any sympathy, sorry. I could care less about the "big apps". I like the OS for what it does now, not what it MAY have in the future. But, I know some people such as yourself are dependant on seeing these apps on the OS. To me, it seems a little petty to be worring about apps. But hey, I think most things people worry about are petty.

Good luck in your endevor.

The real sad part is how LONG it took you to jump ship, seeing as how you've been "waiting" for so long to get first class apps. Lets just be realistic here, if you are buying a Windows phone you KNOW you are not getting first-class apps, and that it will be a LONG SHOT/miracle to ever get there. If you have a Windows phone, it is because you want to have something different, "unique", and maybe you like the design of the OS or the hardware appeals to you. It will very likely NEVER become as big as Android or IOS, to think so would be overly optimistic - we are destined to have the second tier, third tier or even lower quality apps (for quite some time, if not forever). App wise, sometimes we may luck out and get some good ones, but generally that is not why we have the phone, and I am perfectly happy with my L920.

The app thing didn't used to bother me so much. I love the OS and the uniqueness it offers. I love the visual style, and I love live tiles. And back when I got my first Windows Phone, few of my friends/relatives had smartphones. Now most of them do and it kinda sucks to not be able to play the games they are all playing with each other or to take part in their group chats (for some reason my battery drains super fast if I have WhatsApp installed). As much as I like the look and feel of the OS, when every day I'm thinking "Oh, it sucks my phone can't do this thing or run this app that all my friends have or would be really handy", its time for a new phone. Or when I leave for work at 2:30 in the morning to an icy, freezing car and think "Wow, if I had a iPhone, Android, or ancient Blackberry, I could be an a warm, toasty, defrosted car right now", its time for a new phone. Now, if Windows Phone does catch on and start attracting big name apps and being compatible with things like my car, I will gladly come back.

As far as getting an Android phone, I wouldn't get anything not running 4.0 or higher.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
RE: I'm abandoning Windows Phone. Its the apps.

Based on your original post I say get an iPhone 5 or GS3 and rock on. Both are great devices. Don't worry about the few tools on this sight that can't seem to appreciate more than one phone OS at a time.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm Leaving Windows phone for a while. Gonna come back for Nokia EOS :)

Its a good idea to try all os's before making up ones mind on sticking with one for a while, good idea op (although imo wp is more functional and work efficient than android)

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

You might want to consider the Nexus 4 over the Galaxy Nexus. It's a better handset overall, although I'm not sure what the availability is like in NZ.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

Mm? Go get XboxMusic on Android in the mean time, tell us how it goes! ~ I'm sure looking forward to what Nokia cranks out this year. Maybe it'll actually get to OTHER carriers, time.. :grin:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

yes. you can buy it in NZ. but the Nexus 4 is $800!!!!

House prices are rising up fast in NZ. my $700,000 house is now $1.5 million

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

yes. you can buy it in NZ. but the Nexus 4 is $800!!!!

House prices are rising up fast in NZ. my $700,000 house is now $1.5 million

$800..Ouch!!

It's back on sale in the states today on the Play Store. Is there anyone over there that can buy it for you and pop it in the post to NZ?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

unfortunately. the NZ government won't let NZders. if you do it legally. you'll have to pay $1000 extra to ship. if illegally........$10,000 - $50,000 depending on the size. if worse. 12 months in Jail

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't blame ya. The app situation is pretty frustrating, but it's not enough for me to change since I really don't like both Apple and Google. Though the app situation on WP should only get better in the future.

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

unfortunately. the NZ government won't let NZders. if you do it legally. you'll have to pay $1000 extra to ship. if illegally........$10,000

That's madness. The N4 is really an incremental upgrade over the GNex, so if you can snag a Galaxy Nexus at a good price it's still well worth it. I would always recommend a Nexus device over any other type of Android handset. Functionally there is little difference between the GNex and the N4 and both run Android 4.2.1

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Governments always want their slice of the action. I got hit when I imported a Corvette from the States to the UK :cry:

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
RE: I'm Leaving Windows phone for a while. Gonna come back for Nokia EOS :)

Governments always want their slice of the action. I got hit when I imported a Corvette from the States to the UK :cry:
Well I mean it is a corvette... Haha. I didn't know they didn't sell them in the UK but I plan on moving there when im older.

I don't think it matters which nexus you get because they all get the same updates and as updates come they will need less hardware power.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I'm a teen. And who on earth wants to pay so much :-(

Just make sure Android is the right decision before you take the plunge and you spend your hard earned cash. There are pros and cons to all of the platforms, and you may not enjoy the experience coming from WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb