Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By crystal_planet
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    "Nokia (NYSE: NOK) is another company 24/7 still predicts will go away soon. The former Finnish heavyweight just fired 10,000 employees, or 20% of its workforce."

Read more: Ten Brands That Will Disappear In 2013 - 24/7 Wall St. Ten Brands That Will Disappear In 2013 - 24/7 Wall St.

It could be a good thing... Maybe force MS to get a partner with better designs!

The problem with the current Nokia phones is software, not hardware. Microsoft is the one responsible for the software.

Global Posts
    32,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Nokia isn't on the latest list. The companies on the latest list are: 10. Avon 9. MetroPCS 8. Oakland Raiders 7. Salon.com 6. Suzuki 5. Pacific Sunwear 4. Research In Motion 3. Current TV 2. Talbots 1. American Airlines
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Their lists are always ridiculous. Two of the brands they "predict" are going away have already announced they're going away (Metro is merging with T-Mo, Suzuki Motors is pulling out of the USA).

The other brands aren't going anywhere. If Avon fails, it will be acquired by a larger company and its brand will be continued. Salon has been predicted to fail since the early 2000s but always soldiers on. RIM probably will make it through 2013. American Airlines' brand will live on, even if it merges with a smaller US Airways.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Their lists are always ridiculous. Two of the brands they "predict" are going away have already announced they're going away (Metro is merging with T-Mo, Suzuki Motors is pulling out of the USA).

The other brands aren't going anywhere. If Avon fails, it will be acquired by a larger company and its brand will be continued. Salon has been predicted to fail since the early 2000s but always soldiers on. RIM probably will make it through 2013. American Airlines' brand will live on, even if it merges with a smaller US Airways.
    Suzuki? Is this the cars, motorcycles, both? The cars I can definitely see.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Got your PadFone yet? How are its sales doing? I believe we are at PadFone II now.
    My next phone...
    12Danny123 likes this.

I predict 24/7 Wall St will go away. These websites are dime a dozen. What credibility do these people bring to the table?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etyrnus View Post
    Suzuki? Is this the cars, motorcycles, both? The cars I can definitely see.
    Suzuki Motors USA is bankrupt,and Suzuki is exiting the US car business.

Their cars weren't that good anyway. And they really don't have much on the motorcycle front that's interesting, unless you're into the bloated whale phallus that is the hayabusa, or another me too on a gsxr. Can't say I'm really surprised.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I liked the Kizashi... But they've not been serious about the US market for a while. "Predicting" their demise is not that impressive!

Global Posts
    32,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I liked the Kizashi... But they've not been serious about the US market for a while. "Predicting" their demise is not that impressive!
    I don't think I've ever seen one.

Well there we have it Nokia isn't even on the list.

Nokia is doing a great job right now and will even do a better job next year. I hope they make a Win8 RT tablet that is easily affordable for low-mid range markets and a flagship to compete with the Surface Pro.

Maybe MS will cut them a deal with licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen one.
    It was an interesting little sedan, actually had some potential, but kind of fell into that too late to change perceptions category.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    They had "predicted" that Nokia would be going away, and they obviously didn't, and aren't, and it would not be a good thing for WP8 if they did.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Got your PadFone yet? How are its sales doing? I believe we are at PadFone II now.
    I dunno but rumor has it ASUS is already working on Padfone 3! Who knows if they will ever bring it here though. They said they were going to but I've recently read that they called it off. Somebody must be buying them if they keep refining/improving it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Their cars weren't that good anyway. And they really don't have much on the motorcycle front that's interesting, unless you're into the bloated whale phallus that is the hayabusa, or another me too on a gsxr. Can't say I'm really surprised.
    The cars are going away their motorcycles are the gold standard... except for those that lack the testicular fortitude to handle a Hayabusa the GOD OF BIKES!

Preluva = Proud Hayabusa pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    The cars are going away their motorcycles are the gold standard... except for those that lack the testicular fortitude to handle a Hayabusa the GOD OF BIKES!

Preluva = Proud Hayabusa pilot!
    Guessing/hoping its a stock swingarm, non-turbo one, if so, fear not, I respect anyone that can throw a busa around in the twisties. My reference is mainly at the straight liners who are afraid of the curves.

And I'd rock a B-king if I had the $, I just prefer the nakeds ;)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Nokia is gonna be here, even if it stops dealing with Microsoft. They start using Android before that happens.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

They are number 1 in india. They are not going away completely. Only in USA they are going away.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Nokia is gonna be here, even if it stops dealing with Microsoft. They start using Android before that happens.
    If that was the case then why didn't they just go straight to hemroid? It's certainly more popular than WP. No I think the die has been cast and unless WP8 explodes Nokia will be a memory! I don't really care either way cause I don't like there current design and a fancy camera won't save them.
    Banned

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Guessing/hoping its a stock swingarm, non-turbo one, if so, fear not, I respect anyone that can throw a busa around in the twisties. My reference is mainly at the straight liners who are afraid of the curves.

And I'd rock a B-king if I had the $, I just prefer the nakeds ;)
    I don't really understand the appeal of stretched bikes they just look silly to me. Mine is bone stock and I can understand the speed freaks that add turbo's but i have no such desires, it's fast enough as it is. This is my first bike so I haven't done any craving of canyons yet. The naked style looks unfinished to me guess I'm just picky when it comes to bikes. Infact the Hayabusa is THE only one I like, all the rest are ugly to me.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    If that was the case then why didn't they just go straight to hemroid? It's certainly more popular than WP. No I think the die has been cast and unless WP8 explodes Nokia will be a memory! I don't really care either way cause I don't like there current design and a fancy camera won't save them.
    What incentive would they have to go to Android? LG? Motorola? HTC? How are they doing?

Nokia also believes in the platform... so why not make hardware for it?

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichael75 View Post
    They are number 1 in india. They are not going away completely. Only in USA they are going away.
    That's probably why he specified Suzuki Motors USA and the US car business.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    What incentive would they have to go to Android? LG? Motorola? HTC? How are they doing?

Nokia also believes in the platform... so why not make hardware for it?
    Exactly. Going android is no guarantee of success. Look at how dominant Samsung is right now. I think Nokia has the potential to have that kind of clout in the WP world, but in the android world they would be just another company struggling to compete with Samsung.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Nokia isn't going anywhere, at least not by 2013. The cutting of employees, leasing their headquarters, and to some degree, releasing fewer phones is them cutting the fat. They've been too big of a company for a few years now, and their phones haven't been selling in the post-iPhone and Android world as they have previously. We're finally seeing them turn things around with their current Lumias, many of which are matching or beating the competition in specs and value. We're also seeing a big push for Windows and Windows Phone 8 from Microsoft. Now, they need to iron out their production issues, and Microsoft needs to work out the bugs and continue adding features to Windows Phone 8.

The big question is RIM. I don't expect them to fail in 2013 either, but I don't see them having nearly the success as Nokia, especially in the consumer space. Blackberry 10 has a few nice features, but features alone don't sell, and I don't see RIM as a company having the legs that Microsoft does. And the mobile space definitely can't support four players, even three is debatable especially considering the fact that Metro, despite it's ease of development, requires a rethinking of app development.
    Microsoft Store employee; opinions are mine.

I'm on the Twitters.