Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gedzum
  1.    #1  
    I sometimes like to use English (UK) instead of English (US) as the language in Windows on my PC. Windows 8 adds this feature easily by allowing one to press the Windows key + Space to change the input method.

My question is this: what are the differences in the UK keyboard? I saw that what would be @ became " when I used the UK keyboard. What else differs in the US and UK keyboards?

1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,984 Global Posts
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I looked around and found this:

UK layout:

US layout:

The UK variant of the IBM Enhanced keyboard commonly used with personal computers designed for Microsoft Windows differs from the US layout as follows:

• an AltGr key is added to the right of the space bar
    • the # symbol is replaced by the Ł symbol and a 102nd key is added next to the Enter key to accommodate the displaced #
    • @ and " are swapped
    • the ~ is moved to the # key, and is replaced by a ¬ symbol on the backquote (`) key
    • the \ key is moved to the left of the Z key
    • the Enter key spans two rows, and is narrower to accommodate the # key
    Hope that helps
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gedzum View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I looked around and found this:

UK layout:

US layout:

Hope that helps
    Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.
    For one, I can't seem to find the "y'all" key in the UK version.