Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gedzum
  1.    #1  
    I sometimes like to use English (UK) instead of English (US) as the language in Windows on my PC. Windows 8 adds this feature easily by allowing one to press the Windows key + Space to change the input method.

    My question is this: what are the differences in the UK keyboard? I saw that what would be @ became " when I used the UK keyboard. What else differs in the US and UK keyboards?
  2. gedzum's Avatar

    1,970 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,992 Global Posts
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I looked around and found this:

    UK layout:

    US layout:

    The UK variant of the IBM Enhanced keyboard commonly used with personal computers designed for Microsoft Windows differs from the US layout as follows:

    • an AltGr key is added to the right of the space bar
    • the # symbol is replaced by the symbol and a 102nd key is added next to the Enter key to accommodate the displaced #
    • @ and " are swapped
    • the ~ is moved to the # key, and is replaced by a symbol on the backquote (`) key
    • the \ key is moved to the left of the Z key
    • the Enter key spans two rows, and is narrower to accommodate the # key
    Hope that helps
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gedzum View Post
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I looked around and found this:

    UK layout:

    US layout:

    Hope that helps
    Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.
  4. #4  
    For one, I can't seem to find the "y'all" key in the UK version.

Similar Threads

  1. Question about keyboard shortcuts
    By rickylago2 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
  2. Question about Focus S keyboard...
    By Jerryzkidz in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions