Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,375 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    I must admit, I live in a gun-free country (mostly), but that doesn't seem to lower the crime rates. You still see all these muggings, killings, etc, even in the UK. They just use weapons like knives etc. So my question is, is outright banning guns in the US really going to make the country safer? I don't believe it would personally.
    This has been on the news here 24/7. As I recall from all the statistics I've heard thrown around, I think the violent crime rate per 100,000 people in the the U.K. is higher than the U.S., but the homicide rate in the U.K is lower than the U.S. per 100,000 people. I think Brazil has the highest homicide rate per 100,000 people.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    3,532 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    I must admit, I live in a gun-free country (mostly), but that doesn't seem to lower the crime rates. You still see all these muggings, killings, etc, even in the UK. They just use weapons like knives etc. So my question is, is outright banning guns in the US really going to make the country safer? I don't believe it would personally.
    Thank you SO much Paladinleeds. I have seen stats where assaults, bludgeoning attacks, knife attacks, and sexual assaults are all as high or higher in countries with gun bans. Violence is a society problem, usually at it's core is poverty or some sort of mental defect. Until high crime rate areas have a sense of hope and structure and we find a way to deal with metal defects properly, these acts of violence will continue. But that is such a HUGE undertaking it is easier to attack the method of delivery, not the core problem.

Understanding I am a big gun's rights advocate, I will concede this: Guns increase the tragedy in these situations. No way the recent tragedies in Colorado or Newtown are nearly as horrific without guns. I am ready to have that conversation. I do not believe the removal of weapons is the answer, but neither is blind ignorance of weapon ownership. Even the NRA recognizes that what just happened was a tipping point. People have a right to sporting firearms and protection. But the time has come for a long hard look at what is or is not actually needed for those 2 purposes.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12