So what better for screen tech IPS vs LCD vs SAMOLED vs LED?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Just what your opinions and expertise in which is the best overall in screen technology. :kiss:

It all to much for me IPS is good for whites same for lcd whereas SAMOLED good for deep black and over saturation etc etc etc. :confused::angry::confused:

Has anyone had the different type and screen and compared with each other :angel:

Everything little helps

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, IPS is a specific type of LCD and LED is a way of backlighting an LCD. For example, my LG TV is an LED backlit (with local dimming) IPS LCD. IPS has superior off angle viewing angles to standard LCD. Off angle viewing has long been one of the weaknesses of LCD, and with IPS (which stands for In Plane Switching) technology, an IPS LCD TV would have similar viewing angles to an LCD. Now, in most picture quality measures OLED (of which SAMOLED is a specific type) are usually superior to an LCD. Some complain that colors are unnaturally vivid or are too cool (have a blueish hue). The Samsung Focus S is a good example of a SAMOLED that has the blue hue issue. The big disadvantage with OLED, at least at large screen sizes, is cost. LCD (even an IPS panel) are soooo much cheaper. On a 55" TV, you are talking like a $9,000 price difference. Now on a cell phone, obviously the price difference is no where near that extreme, I would imagine its still there. Personally, I love the deep blacks of an AMOLED, and I always have preferred Plasma to LCD (even though my current set is an LCD). On my Lumia 900, you can have a hard time seeing where the screen stops and the bezel begins, that's how black the blacks are. However, due to the blue tint, I preferred the Super LCD of the Titan to the OLED of the Focus S. Really, a large portion of it boils down to looking at the screens in person and picking which you like the look of best.

A note on LED backlighting. It is sort of a double edged sword. LED's enable what is called local dimming, which means your TV can selectively shut off the backlight in certain areas in order to produce deeper blacks, some times on par with Plasmas and OLEDs. This works best when you have a full array LED back light, which means there is a big panel of LEDs behind your screen. However, most LCDs that use LED backlighting are edge lit (including ever single thin LED TV you will ever see). This means there is a ring of LEDs around your screen instead of the backlight source being behind your LCD panel. This allows for a much, much thinner TV, but can result in unevenly lit images (the center will often be darker than the edges since it is further from the light). An Edge lit LED LCD can still use local dimming (as my TV does), but it isn't as effective as it is on a thicker, heavier full array LED panel.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Think of it this way: LCDs are basically glass that has 3 color filters per pixel. They need a backlight to shine color. OLEDs don't require any backlight: each pixel shines by itself when it is told to. Thus, when you want to show color, OLED is punchier because the material is MADE of that color, whereas the LCD is simply a glass that's transparent and then tinted with one of the primary RGB colors. When it comes to black purity, OLEDs have perfect blacks since they're essentially "off" (not really, but the point is there is NO light AT ALL) and therefore black is actually black. Even on the best LCD, the blackest black you could obtain is really a very dark grey: since the backlight is still needed to produce color, the screen tries to filter as much light as possible to give you the darkest black it can, but it will never be actual black since you can't filter all the light, thus ending up with some really dark grey instead (unless you can do local dimming, but this rare - if not non-existent - in smartphones).

In short: Amoled = perfect blacks + punchy colors, LCD = brighter overall image which can be good/bad depending on what you're viewing, duller colors.

To give you an idea, ever since I switched to WP7, I got a Focus with an AMOLED screen and I'm now incapable of using anything other than AMOLED in my phone. Yes, the pixel layout in this particular screen isn't ideal and there's a light bluish hue that is noticeable sometimes, but the contrast is so crazy good and the blacks (which are so common in WP) are so deep, I can't go back to a dull LCD. As great as the Lumia 920 screen is, even THAT paled in comparison to the AMOLED I have. The world is shifting to OLED screens by the way, it'll just take lots of years to make a full transition since LCDs are so cheap these days... but keep in mind, LCDs where prohibitively expensive back in the day, and look where we are now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss