Nokia Maps FTW!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had to go somewhere today and needed directions. Bing Maps and Google Maps both failed, since they told me to turn onto a street that doesn't exist.

After I drove past the area twice and did not spot the street name, I parked in the parking lot at a shopping center and tried Nokia Maps.

Voila! Nokia Maps had the directions I needed, along with real streets, not non-existent ones.

I would have saved about 15 minutes of useless driving around had I used Nokia Maps initially.

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd used Nokia map and Nokia drive five years ago on my Symbian phone, and off line navigation, they are the best.........

Miscellaneous Rant

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia owns Navteq a Chicago, Il based company. Satellites are own by Dept. of Defense. See where this is going. One time I drove though a US Army based. My g/f Samsung SII lost all its signals. I had my signals for data, Nokia radio and Nokia maps. She was using Pondora when she lost signal. I won all bragging rights on that trip.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Awesome! Drive and Maps on my Lumia 900 are pretty accurate; about the only thing I miss from using Maps/Drive on my N8 is street announcements during navigation, and not losing a GPS signal. Not sure why I lose the signal after a few minutes on my L900, but I do (which is why I carry my N8 with me as backup when I have to navigate into unknown parts).

Glad you made it to destination safely!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Exactly why I'm going for a Lumia and not other WP8 choices.

Sent from my Note II with a WP8 theme

all windows phones use Nokia maps, they have a partnership with Microsoft that makes Nokia maps the default maps in the OS, also all windows phone 8 devices now have Nokia drive+ so it doesn't matter which handset maker you choose

Alva street

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you 'had' tried Nokia Maps on the Symbian before I think you would be very disappointed with the Nokia Windows Phone version. I loved the Nokia Maps on a Symbian, it was great off-line, I stopped using my satnav because it was so good. I used Nokia Maps on my 820 for the first time yesterday and it is rubbish, awful, terrible. I would like to use other words but "We're a family show". What is going on with Nokia? Have they forgotten everything that made Nokia and Maps a great app to use? I really hope they make some sort of up date very soon as people are going to start to walk due to this and other WP8 problems.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
If you 'had' tried Nokia Maps on the Symbian before I think you would be very disappointed with the Nokia Windows Phone version. I loved the Nokia Maps on a Symbian, it was great off-line, I stopped using my satnav because it was so good. I used Nokia Maps on my 820 for the first time yesterday and it is rubbish, awful, terrible.

I wonder what is wrong with the one in Windows Phone though. I currently have both devices with Nokia Maps, Symbian and Windows Phone and it seems to me the Windows Phone version is much better, much more accurate and much faster. The one on my N97 mini running on Symbian S60 is sluggish, terribly slow and the off-line search is also slow as compared to the Windows Phone version.

If you are referring to the loss of 3D view, Landmarks and all, they're in the Nokia Drive and not in Nokia Maps in Windows Phone.

Alexandre Donnert

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what is wrong with the one in Windows Phone though. I currently have both devices with Nokia Maps, Symbian and Windows Phone and it seems to me the Windows Phone version is much better, much more accurate and much faster. The one on my N97 mini running on Symbian S60 is sluggish, terribly slow and the off-line search is also slow as compared to the Windows Phone version.

If you are referring to the loss of 3D view, Landmarks and all, they're in the Nokia Drive and not in Nokia Maps in Windows Phone.

About the lumia 620...
This phone have not GPS? I am reading some reviews about, and at lots of descriptions some guys are talking that it have not GPS, is true?

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
About the lumia 620...
This phone have not GPS? I am reading some reviews about, and at lots of descriptions some guys are talking that it have not GPS, is true?

No that's not true at all. The Lumia 620 does have a built-in GPS system. I used the Nokia Drive the other day and it was great! ;)

EDIT: Unless, it's not available in some countries? I doubt that though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon