Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By txaggies07
  • 2 Post By jhoff80
  1.    #1  
    Is there any advantage of the 4th generation versus the current generation? I'm thinking of getting the 21.5 inch imac now, but maybe apple will release the next one, which WILL have the 4th generation, and requires a touch screen.
  2. txaggies07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #2  
    No on the imac
    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
    Past Phones: iPhone 4, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Nokia Lumia 900, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro, Nexus 7
    Reflexx likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by txaggies07 View Post
    No on the imac
    But apple is committed to Intel, and they must be on the current version on the next generation iMac.
  4. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    902 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Is there any advantage of the 4th generation versus the current generation? I'm thinking of getting the 21.5 inch imac now, but maybe apple will release the next one, which WILL have the 4th generation, and requires a touch screen.
    You're saying that a intel cpu requires a touchscreen ? Eh ?
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  5. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,107 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,086 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
    You're saying that a intel cpu requires a touchscreen ? Eh ?
    In order to be certified as an Ultrabook, new PCs will need a touchscreen.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and BIGPADDY like this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In order to be certified as an Ultrabook, new PCs will need a touchscreen.
    But can desktops with this processor work? And do desktops with this processor need touchscreen?
  7. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,107 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,086 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    But can desktops with this processor work? And do desktops with this processor need touchscreen?
    Of course it'll work on desktops. It's just a branding thing. In order to call your Haswell / 4th generation Core i5 laptop an Ultrabook, (and therefore have Intel's marketing push behind you), you need to, among other things, have a touchscreen and support WiDi.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course it'll work on desktops. It's just a branding thing. In order to call your Haswell / 4th generation Core i5 laptop an Ultrabook, (and therefore have Intel's marketing push behind you), you need to, among other things, have a touchscreen and support WiDi.
    So that means the new macs (desktops and laptops) will need touch?
  9. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,821 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    So that means the new macs (desktops and laptops) will need touch?
    Apple most likely won't get Intel to heavily push their Macs, so as such this won't be a requirement.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  10. kevin2577's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    So that means the new macs (desktops and laptops) will need touch?
    Nope. Only notebooks that want to be branded "Ultrabooks" and receive a share of the marketing dollars Intel provides for Ultrabooks. Apple uses Intel chips but has not participated in the Ultrabook initiative so far (or even the Intel Inside program) and likely won't this time. Apple does their marketing themselves so doesn't much care for any of these requirements.
  11. kerryprsp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Is there any advantage of the 4th generation versus the current generation? I'm thinking of getting the 21.5 inch imac now, but maybe apple will release the next one, which WILL have the 4th generation, and requires a touch screen.
    I think the only advantage is increased battery life in notebooks which won't matter to you since you have an iMac. As far as requiring a touch screen that's only for the PC Manufacturers who are apart of the ultrabook initiative. Although, I think Apple will use the fourth gen CPUs when they refresh their Mac line.

Similar Threads

  1. Any chance of a Surface tablet with the Intel Atom processor?
    By woodbane in forum Upcoming and Rumored Tablets
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
  2. WP9 on Intel Medfield processors = Game Over.
    By KingCrimson in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
  3. Intel dropping MeeGo for WP7?
    By smartpatrol in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
  4. 4th & mayor issues
    By Devilstar in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
  5. So how's everyone liking 4th & Mayor?
    By ctt1wbw in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions