OCTA 8 CORE PROCESSOR in a MOBILE (AMAZING)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would be amazed if someone could show me even one application that can fully use todays 4-core capabilities (except games).

You said it man..u said it..

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Like I said, its not about one application using all four (or eight) cores. Its about more apps having one or more cores available that they don't have to share. That's where the real benefit of quad/octo core.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Even quad core processors is an exciting prospect to me. We're almost getting to the point where mobile phones stomp on dedicated game machines in terms of power, and that's just mind blowing. I love Nintendo, I really do, but there's no way in heck they can keep competing the way they are. Subsidised phones makes it easy for people to jump on a platform with a lower mental barrier for entry. I really didn't need a WP8 device, but I got one since my contract was up.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting on picking up that 3DS I've been thinking about for ages.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
By September all WP8.5 will use Quad Core Snapdragon 800 SOC Processors!

Snapdragon 800 Series and 600 Processors Unveiled | Qualcomm

So you will see Nokia Lumia 940 & Samsung ATIV S2, etc etc...all with these new Snapdragon 800 processors 9 months from now! Also you will see:
- 2GB RAM
- 64GB on board flash memory
- 5"+ 1080p Displays'
- 3000mAh+ Battery's
- 128GB micoSD Cards
- Wi-Fi ac support

This is all coming 9 month's from now to Windows Phone 8.5 platform. 

I sure hope 5" screens won't go mainstream. I want my phones to be high end as I buy them, but even 4,5" is almos pushing it for me. That said, I know that L920 has lots of bezel in ratio to screen size, but not all bezel is bad cos it allows you to hold the phone easier without touching the screen.

So basically I hope that in 2 years time when I buy my new phone, I dont have to go at least much bigger than 4,5". My hand doesnt grow in the same ratio.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe 5" 1080p is 2013 mainstream display for Samsung! I think LG and Sharp have 5" 1080p display's coming?
I also here there is 6" 1080p displays coming! Can you say Note3....
My brother has the Note2 5.5" 720p I think it's too big for me.....I have the ATIV S with 4.8" 720p display feel's just right but maybe could get away with the new 5" 1080p display 😎
Windows Phone 8 has no support for 1080p display yet! Maybe they will add support for 1080p in the upcoming WP8.1 sometime in March?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When you compare a dual core S4 vs. a quad core S4, the quad core will preform better if all other things are equal, and when we start seeing Cortex A15 based quad core chips, they will be more in line with the Qualcomm Krait based chips.

That statement is very incomplete, as it entirely ignores the role of software. As things are now, you will see no performance difference between the dual core S4 and the quad core S4 (except in theoretical benchmarking apps designed to stress test multithreaded performance). That isn't changing anytime soon.

The best shot at exploiting any performance gains to be had from a quad core CPU's would necessitate Microsoft specifying a new chassis spec for WP9 mandating a quad core CPU. As long as dual core CPUs are part of the WP8 market, developers won't be taking steps to exploit quad core CPUs to any significant affect.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
That statement is very incomplete, as it entirely ignores the role of software. As things are now, you will see no performance difference between the dual core S4 and the quad core S4 (except in theoretical benchmarking apps designed to stress test multithreaded performance). That isn't changing anytime soon.

The best shot at exploiting any performance gains to be had from a quad core CPU's would necessitate Microsoft specifying a new chassis spec for WP9 mandating a quad core CPU. As long as dual core CPUs are part of the WP8 market, developers won't be taking steps to exploit quad core CPUs to any significant affect.

WP9 is 64-bit and will not be ready till 2014 Q4 when ARMv8 is ready! Till then we are suck with 32-bit ARMv7 software.
Like it or not 2013 is the year of the Quad Core phone's! WP8 can do up to 64 Cores'......with the new Qualcomm Quad core Snapdragon 600 and 800 SOC out very soon Microsoft will use S600 & S800 with there upcoming updates to WP OS with Windows phone 8.1 & Windows Phone 8.5 this year.
Don't be surprised if some WP8.5 software won't run with our WP8 hardware. Remember it's not just the CPU there changing...the GPU as well!
Moving from Snapdragon 4+ to Snapdragon 800:
- CPU Krait 2 core to 4 core
- GPU Adreno 225 to 330

IE10 is GPU hardware accelerated! Now with the new Adreno 330 is going to be crazy fast 😎

I Love new hardware but the world hardware seems to be moving very fast and software is playing catch up.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
<snipped>

Much of what you've stated goes against current MS strategy. I think what you're describing is more akin to your own personal hardware fantasies rather than Microsoft's actual plans. Everything I've heard so far points to no large adjustments being made to the WP8 hardware chassis specs anytime soon.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Tell you what, you give me a 5" 1080p screen with WP8.5 with snapdragon 800 SOC, and I will sell my computer! Heck, if 8.5 has hdmi out.. I don't see a reason for an antiquated desktop. Isn't WP8 already running NT.. Microsoft may even redefine what is a Personal Computer.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Tell you what, you give me a 5" 1080p screen with WP8.5 with snapdragon 800 SOC, and I will sell my computer! Heck, if 8.5 has hdmi out.. I don't see a reason for an antiquated desktop. Isn't WP8 already running NT.. Microsoft may even redefine what is a Personal Computer.

I think your very right! But to drive 1080p they need a bigger frame buffer means more memory! So they will need 2GB RAM because of 1080p! "I don't know why Android phones with 720p display's need's 2GB RAM?"
Yes WP8 is NT based and only 32-bit ARMv7 software, like Windows RT.

I love my new Samsung ATIV S and wishes it to be top dog for years.....but unfortunately there is new hardware every year! With new top end WP8.x coming using the new Snapdragon 800 this year to keep up to Android using Exynos 5 Quad & Octa cores!

Do you think the Quad core Snapdragon 800 will be = to Exynos 5 Octa?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
to drive 1080p they need a bigger frame buffer means more memory! So they will need 2GB RAM because of 1080p!

A single 1080p frame buffer requires less than 6 MB. Even when triple buffering no more than 18 MB is required. Frame buffers have practically no influence on whether 1080p devices will ship with 1GB or 2GB of memory.

I don't know why Android phones with 720p display's need's 2GB RAM

Because Android OS can simultaneously run any number of apps and background apps, none of which have limits on memory utilisation. In other words, for Android devices, more memory is always better. That is completely different and in no way comparable to WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon