Lenovo or Dell? Touch or non-touch?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey all...
Again, I am confused and cant make up my mind.

I am looking for an AIO (all-in-one). Now I have zeroed down on two brands - Dell and Lenovo.

What I've heard so far: Dell here in India is just superb.

What I personally think: Dell is garbage. The service may be good, but the parts are recycled and the overall hardware sucks. Had once experience with a Dell laptop. That was enough for me to say goodbye to the brand.

What I've also heard: Lenovo is very good.

What I want to know: How good is it? The hardware and the service is good? Paying a little more for good overall quality is Ok with me.

Also, for a mid-level usage at home, is a touch screen required? I mean, Windows 8 is all about touch isn't it? And if I am buying good hardware, don't I need a good touch screen to make optimum use of the OS?

I will be using it for:

Work (MS Office, Excel, PPT etc)

Photoshop (red-eye reduction, cropping out an unwanted cousin from a family photo etc)

YouTube (Mostly dad will be watching some old songs etc)

Reading articles, surfing net and social networking of course.

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've am currently using a Lenovo X220 Tablet and it is absolutely amazing. I had a Dell laptop before it and it was considered high-end, but in reality it was horrible. Definitely would go with the Lenovo. As far as touch screen or not, Windows 8 is much better with touch, whenever I use a non-touch laptop or desktop, I keep finding myself touching the screen because of how used to it I have become :grin:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
But touch on W8 on a desktop? Is that easy to use. Even the ergonomics play a vital part.

Sent from my DROID RaZr on JB.

TeamKillerJKFFL

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Lenovo x230 Tablet here and it's stellar. We have nice Dells at the office but still don't hold a candle to Lenovo with quality. Never had a problem with Lenovo support but never had a quality issue either. My view is support is a non-issue if the product is built right so if I'm expecting it to fail I'm not buying it or am in the process of getting a refund and buying something else.

W8 with touch screen is not necessary but once I started using it I gradually got hooked. Case in point; Exactly like the previous poster I still find myself reaching out to touch the screen on one of the non-touch PCs at work. It just works.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Touch is the only way to go. I got RT at launch and found myself reaching to screen all the time on my old laptop. Touch just seems to flow so much better. Just got a Vaio with touch. You will be surprised at how much easier it is and how much more you will utilize touch than trackpad. As far as brand, Lenovo is a good bet. I've had a few Dell and have had more problems over the years with them. But, to each his own.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo x230 Tablet here and it's stellar. We have nice Dells at the office but still don't hold a candle to Lenovo with quality. Never had a problem with Lenovo support but never had a quality issue either. My view is support is a non-issue if the product is built right so if I'm expecting it to fail I'm not buying it or am in the process of getting a refund and buying something else.

W8 with touch screen is not necessary but once I started using it I gradually got hooked. Case in point; Exactly like the previous poster I still find myself reaching out to touch the screen on one of the non-touch PCs at work. It just works.

That is exactly what I told my friend. Dell has good support cause the hardware requires it, simply cause it's garbage. Lenovo on the other hand, is built nice. ALso, I've solved the touch issue as I plan to buy the trackpad. Logitech T650. IF someone knows a better brand, their suggestion is always welcome.

Just that, my budget is going slightly over board.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hold the phone. "Fisher Price" GUI? Sorry, some of us simpletons really like the interface. The whole W8 experience isn't done justice without a touchscreen and if you don't like it, you haven't used it with touch. Some of us are mobile all the time and a mouse is a furry creature that should stay hidden. If you don't have touch screen, that's why you don't want anything to do with W8. I can fly around OS and get much more done than with track pad and W7. And, my RT and Vaio have identical setup, down to color and tile location. Its a world of mobile computing. A mouse and track pad will be history in 10 years. You are going to have to like it sooner or later.

I know you jest, but I needed to fly off the handle so to speak. Its been a slow day. Lol.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
A mouse and track pad will be history in 10 years. You are going to have to like it sooner or later.
The future does not belong to touch interfaces - wildly flailing your hands is not a very physically efficient way to interact with computer interfaces (especially with large display sizes), regardless of how cool it may look in movies like "Minority Report" ;-) Using the voice control is much more efficient and convenient (you don't even have to look at display), at least until the proper "brain wave activity" interface will be fully developed ;-)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend Lenovo. Their hardware is excellent and their support is supposed to quite good as well, but I haven't had to use it. I would recommend a touch screen, also. It's not necessary for W8, but it makes it an even better experience and the beautiful UI really benefits from touch.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The future does not belong to touch interfaces - wildly flailing your hands is not a very physically efficient way to interact with computer interfaces (especially with large display sizes), regardless of how cool it may look in movies like "Minority Report" ;-) Using the voice control is much more efficient and convenient (you don't even have to look at display), at least until the proper "brain wave activity" interface will be fully developed ;-)

I can see your point with desktops. I've been on and around laptops for so long I forgot desktops still exist. And the touch pad has always been more aggravation than help. I honestly find reaching for screen easier than reaching for touch pad on a laptop. That's why I had to upgrade to touch on my laptop. I found myself reaching for screen all the time after I got Surface. I agree with you also about voice control being the future, but we aren't quite there yet. It may take ten years for voice to work well enough where people will want to use it. Right now, voice control is more aggravation than its worth.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ive got the Lenovo A720. 27inch beauty with enough power to handle whatever i throw at it. Dont be put off, the touch interface is awesome on a big screen the only issue i have found is occasionally it can be hard to close programs with a swipe from top to bottom - My main job is drawing work using Autocad and Revit and it handles large 3d drawings without any issues in desktop mode. One of the great things about it is it folds down flat so if i have to mark up drawings the screen is big enough to replicate having a paper copy of the drawing on my desk saving me trips to the printers to get A0 and A1 size prints.
Screen resolution is amazing as well, all the apps running in the metro UI look great and respond really well. Im just hoping that Autodesk make their next release of software touch enabled as that would make the whole system perfect. I cant comment on Dell as ive never owned but my previous experiences with them at work isnt great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon