Jobs for a tech-fanatic

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, need to know skill set. I'd like to say IT because that's a great place to become familiar with a lot of the tech, and you can research new tech to see if it would fit the company's needs, but if you aren't very familiar with the tools, then there's absolutely no way you could get into that. If you're a writer, then I'd say check into various blogs such as WPCentral, Ars Technica, or maybe even Engadget. If you can write software, there's a myriad of options there, as the tech industry is almost starving for programmers (I can't count how many ads I've seen of companies looking for software programmers in the last week alone).

I, myself, am a software programmer for the IT department for a large company and get the opportunity to research lots of tech (whether or not I get to use it is another question). It gives me the income to go and purchase new tech that I like to test, as well. Just a thought. If you're looking to build a skill set, IT. Definitely build up some IT skills.

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you define "tech fanatic" and what's your skill set?
interested in all the newest things. I am a first year college student that's going into engineering and my job at Goodwill is becoming mundane. My skillset lies within C++, Java, tech "know how"(fixing/troubleshooting, and that may be it.

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, need to know skill set. I'd like to say IT because that's a great place to become familiar with a lot of the tech, and you can research new tech to see if it would fit the company's needs, but if you aren't very familiar with the tools, then there's absolutely no way you could get into that. If you're a writer, then I'd say check into various blogs such as WPCentral, Ars Technica, or maybe even Engadget. If you can write software, there's a myriad of options there, as the tech industry is almost starving for programmers (I can't count how many ads I've seen of companies looking for software programmers in the last week alone).I, myself, am a software programmer for the IT department for a large company and get the opportunity to research lots of tech (whether or not I get to use it is another question). It gives me the income to go and purchase new tech that I like to test, as well. Just a thought. If you're looking to build a skill set, IT. Definitely build up some IT skills.
like told the guy above, I'm looking into engineering, but my skillset is limited. Maybe just an entry level position for a student?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For an all rounded IT job I would say work as an IT Technician at an secondary school it is all rounded you do a lot of thing which ranges a lot of trouble shooting (a lot) :wink:

If you don't mind students then I say go for it :wink:

D

Deleted member 199301

If you're a writer, then I'd say check into various blogs such as WPCentral, Ars Technica, or maybe even Engadget.

I've always wondered where the application is for these kind of sites. Are these hires more a "friend of a friend" type?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I know WPC were looking for ambassadors etc not long back. If you enthusiastic, get involved anywhere and everywhere you can.

There was a guy's blog that I used to follow regarding Xbox stuff. He used to write a blog for some Seattle based tech site. The guy had some real nice scoops and was great to read. I happened upon it by chance and stuck with it. Anyway, he decided to quit, so the Seattle times, or whatever blog it was, published a request for readers to pick up where he left off. The post will likely have been filled by now, it was ages ago, but my point is that you should put yourself out there.

And also follow the advice of those guys above, get in somewhere that lets you geek up to the max.

Incidentally, the guy was called Jake, and I think his blog was called 8bitjoystick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon