Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    send em up to me and Ill unlock em... eh

at the same time the U.S. is getting strict on unlocking the canadian gov is forcing providers to give unlock codes (a lot more details in the matter and still changing)
  2. tgp

Global Posts
    2,833 Global Posts
    Here's what I don't understand: if I buy the phone subsidized by signing a contract, the carrier will get their money back either by me paying them for service for 2 years or by charging me an ETF if I leave early. I realize that they don't want me going to another carrier even if they get reimbursed for the phone, but competition is part of the free market. I also realize that initially the phone is not mine, but after I pay for 2 years of service or pay the ETF plus whatever other fees they might charge me, it's mine. Once I sign on the dotted line, I will be paying for that phone one way or another. I guess I fail to see how someone can even screw the carrier, phone locked or unlocked.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    Here's what I don't understand: if I buy the phone subsidized by signing a contract, the carrier will get their money back either by me paying them for service for 2 years or by charging me an ETF if I leave early. I realize that they don't want me going to another carrier even if they get reimbursed for the phone, but competition is part of the free market. I also realize that initially the phone is not mine, but after I pay for 2 years of service or pay the ETF plus whatever other fees they might charge me, it's mine. Once I sign on the dotted line, I will be paying for that phone one way or another. I guess I fail to see how someone can even screw the carrier, phone locked or unlocked.
    Basically the CTIA said that carriers are losing money due to "large scale phone trafficking operations" where people "buy large quantities of pre-paid phones, unlock them, and resell them in foreign markets where carriers do not subsidize handsets."

So basically they're protecting the carriers and not us. Useless government.

This is misuse of the DMCA. The DMCA was created to protect creative works, not to protect wireless carriers' business.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    Basically the CTIA said that carriers are losing money due to "large scale phone trafficking operations" where people "buy large quantities of pre-paid phones, unlock them, and resell them in foreign markets where carriers do not subsidize handsets."

So basically they're protecting the carriers and not us. Useless government.

This is misuse of the DMCA. The DMCA was created to protect creative works, not to protect wireless carriers' business.
    I really don't understand this either. Why exactly would the carriers be losing money? Do they not charge enough for their prepaid phones? If so, then that's their own fault. Charge enough for the phone to cover your costs and then you wouldn't have to worry about "trafficking operations."

Using a loss leader is always risky business, no matter what product you're selling. Why should the government be propping up risky business practices?

But the reality is that logic has no place here. It all boils down to companies using lobbying money to buy the privilege to write their own legislation.
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    I really don't understand this either. Why exactly would the carriers be losing money? Do they not charge enough for their prepaid phones? If so, then that's their own fault. Charge enough for the phone to cover your costs and then you wouldn't have to worry about "trafficking operations."

Using a loss leader is always risky business, no matter what product you're selling. Why should the government be propping up risky business practices?

But the reality is that logic has no place here. It all boils down to companies using lobbying money to buy the privilege to write their own legislation.
    You're spot on!
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    A White House petition to make unlocking cell phones legal again has passed 1 lakh signature . Passing the milestone means the U.S. government has to issue an official response. On January 26th, unlocking a cell phone that is under contract became illegal in the U.S Just before that went into effect , a petition was started at whitehouse.gov https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...legal/1g9KhZG7 to have the Librarian of Congress revisit that decision. 'It reduces consumer choice, and decreases the resale value of devices that consumers have paid for in full. The Librarian noted that carriers are offering more unlocked phones at present, but the great majority of phones sold are still locked,this can be done using any third party vendors .i have come across a site called Unlock-free.com ... where unlock codes can be obtained for free for most of the basic models but this is not applicable for smart phones .The policy is a big issue for anyone who wants to use their phone abroad, without needing to go through their U.S.' carrier's expensive roaming and international plans. Additionally, anyone who wants to move to a new GSM carrier in the U.S. (such as T-Mobile to AT&T), will have issues. any how lets wait for a positive response from the government..
    Last edited by palandri; 02-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12