"Why didn't you get an iPhone?"

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
So I let my younger sister (she's in the 8th grade) have my Trophy recently since I replaced it with my 822. She really likes Windows Phone and so she was pretty excited to get to use it. But the crazy thing is that she's been asked at least 3 times by her peers why she didn't get an iPhone. I told her to ask them "why?" to everything to see what they really know. None of them can give any legitimate reasons. They tell her the iPhone can do certain things that her's can't, even though it actually can. They tell her the iPhone is cool and that no one likes Windows Phone (even though they probably have no idea what it is). It seems to me like these kids think the iPhone is the only actual smartphone out there, like it's some kind of god to them or something. It's really frustrating to my sister as well as myself. Sure, these kids are 14-year-olds, but they're so impressionable in their early years. And this is nothing against the iPhone, it's really just a lot of the people that use them are incredibly ignorant when it comes to phones. It seems like this is the biggest barrier to get past in terms of gaining marketshare.

Anyway, anyone else have any ridiculous stories like this about people and their ignorance with phones?

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Kids like to get the latest hip app to play with their friends every week. Windows Phone doesn't get the latest and greatest apps. For kids, windows phone isn't fun. It just isn't. I'm not a kid, I love my 8x, but if all I cared about was having the newest facebook game every week so I could be cool I would have gotten an iphone.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
There’s really no way around this. The iPhone is a ubiquitous presence in the smartphone arena. For many young, old and in-between, the iPhone is the end all beat all even though they may not have experience with other capable and/or superior smartphones. We will always encounter the type of attitude you described. In a recent discussion, a friend of mine argued that Apple invented the touchscreen. To me this was laughable but it doesn’t so much speak to her ignorance as it does to the power of the Apple/iPhone brand.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.
I agree. I have a friend who had the 3G, 3GS, and 4S. Instead of getting the 5, he switched to the Note II.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Kids like to get the latest hip app to play with their friends every week. Windows Phone doesn't get the latest and greatest apps. For kids, windows phone isn't fun. It just isn't. I'm not a kid, I love my 8x, but if all I cared about was having the newest facebook game every week so I could be cool I would have gotten an iphone.

These kids don't know anything about Windows Phone. It's not that they know that WP doesn't have as many games or apps, it's just not cool for them to have anything other than iPhone. You could tell these kids that WP cures cancer, and then they'd say "but it's not an iPhone, so who cares?".

Back in my day (public school in the 90's) high school brats didn't have 700 dollar cell phones. :)

That's because no one had $700 cell phones...plus, these kids get them for $200 on contract. Though my sister did tell me about someone in her grade who dropped her iPhone, broke it, and then her mom bought her a new one. There's just so little responsibility these days.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I usually answer along the lines of "Why on earth WOULD I have got an iPhone?".

Usually they can't even come up with any real argument :D

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-) Some people just like to mindlessly follow the other people's choices instead of doing their own research, evaluating the competing products themselves and then making their purchasing decision based on the outcomes of those evaluations ;-)
Also, many kids just like to use or try out various apps/games, most of which will become "boring" to those kids very quickly, making them seek newer apps/games, so in this sense iPhone DOES provide better "entertainment" to them and their ADD nature due to the largest amount of such content ;-) Of course not all of them are so apps-hungry, but many are and to them it may seem strange that other kids may choose a smartphone platform with significantly smaller amount of entertainment content.

Last edited:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-)

But that's the thing...I've never heard any of those in real life. Also, what I'm saying that these kids don't even mention apps as a reason when they're asked why they buy them...that's the crazy thing. They literally have no reason other than it's cool, or it's what everyone else has, etc.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Because they're boring. Got my brother's old iPhone, and I liked the quality, but not the software.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
iSheep: Wait, why did you get that **** (my awesome yellow 920) over the (crappy) iPhone 5?

Me: I got a larger screen, I've had LTE before you, my screen is better (SST and HD+), I have an awesome and a non-boring UI, my phone has a better camera, my phone actually isn't a boring slab, and a lot more. I could go on forever.

iSheep: But... But... But it's not an iPhone.

Me: Give me 5 reasons why the iPhone is better than my phone.

iSheep: I have apps, you don't!

Me: All phones have apps.

iSheep: Well, I have, um... um...

Me (inside): :D

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
But that's the thing...I've never heard any of those in real life. Also, what I'm saying that these kids don't even mention apps as a reason when they're asked why they buy them...that's the crazy thing. They literally have no reason other than it's cool, or it's what everyone else has, etc.
Well, like I said - some people like to blindly "follow" other people's choices, including a perception of "what's cool to use" because they want to be "accepted" into a large "herd" and not be a "different" individual. Some people "grow out" of this phase, some never do ;-) Nothing wrong or "crazy" with both of those choices, especially now that many people have internet access and can easily find similarly-minded people to converse with (about your preferred smartphone, for example) online, without having to "adjust" to the "peer pressure" or the preferences of "offline" friends/schoolmates/coworkers ;-) Too bad some ******ed parents don't understand such benefits of internet and try to force their children to "not spend a lot of time on evil, evil internets, filled with predators and other bad people!" ;-)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Q: Why didn't you get an iPhone?

A: Ummm.... Sorry?? Did you ask something? I was too busy looking directly at the most important information on my Live Tiles and typing on my keyboard that doesn't over correct my words for me. I also spent a few minutes looking up a location and it actually gave it to me right. I also saw it on a screen size I decided on, instead of having my phone maker tell me what size is actually the best. I also have a new, vibrant UI, instead of one from 9 devices ago, so I enjoy using my phone instead of criticizing others for their choices to feel better about myself.

Care to repeat the question?

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Q: Why didn't you get an iPhone?

A: Ummm.... Sorry?? Did you ask something? I was too busy looking directly at the most important information on my Live Tiles and typing on my keyboard that doesn't over correct my words for me. I also spent a few minutes looking up a location and it actually gave it to me right. I also saw it on a screen size I decided on, instead of having my phone maker tell me what size is actually the best. I also have a new, vibrant UI, instead of one from 9 devices ago, so I enjoy using my phone instead of criticizing others for their choices to feel better about myself.

Care to repeat the question?

whooo I like it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs