"Why didn't you get an iPhone?"

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Seriously. For example, I wanted to watch all of the episodes of "Big Bang Theory". I simply turned on my TV, switched to my AppleTV, browsed to iTunes store on it, made a purchase with a few clicks of remote using excellent user-friendly GUI and immediately started watching them. I watched a few episodes on TV using AppleTV, then when I couldn't use my TV - I continued to watch the rest of the episodes on my iPhone and my iPad, which were downloaded seamlessly over WiFi, WITHOUT connecting either my iPad or iPhone to my PC or MacBook Pro. When I was able to use my TV again, I continued watching it there again, using AppleTV. Same goes for all my music and most of my movies (the ones that were not purchased on Blu-Ray disks... b.t.w, some Blu-Ray movie versions include a code in the box which allows you to download a free iTunes copy of this movie for all iOS devices). This is the BEST (most seamless and most convenient) "media ecosystem" I have personally experienced based on my experience with Android, iOS and WP8 phones. You may have different experience with the stolen music and movies you've downloaded at some BitTorrent site, but it's really not a "valid" issue that Apple has to care about ;-) Of course, my example will simply fall on deaf ears and I will definitely be told to "go away" and that I don't "belong to this L33t circle-jerk WP fanbot club" but oh well, hopefully at least some individuals (without fanbot mentality) will be able to see my point ;-)

OK that is pretty cool. But I can already do that kind of stuff with SkyDrive and the 3 screens. Even with my "stolen" content. (I have legally purchased stuff too)

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.

Interesting that I should read this today. Earlier today I was in one of Toronto's more upscale malls, which has both an Apple store and one of the new MS stores. I read a couple of posts here that claimed that the Apple store at that mall was pretty empty and the MS store in the same corridor was packed, and I wanted to see this for myself since I was there anyway.
I saw no evidence of that.

This was peak Saturday shopping hours, and the Apple store was crammed. The MS store was adequately busy but not very. I spent about 10 minutes inside and during that time 100% of customer attention was all about the tablets and laptops. The Lumia, HTC, and Samsung displays remained untouched.

It appears these sketchy articles about Apple sliding are nothing more than the same old sensationalist journalism as always to generate cheap website hits.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, iPhone WAS cool back in the days. (Used to own the first one)
So why not an iPhone? Because I want to be a different individual; not just that guy in the corner that has an iPhone.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-) Some people just like to mindlessly follow the other people's choices instead of doing their own research, evaluating the competing products themselves and then making their purchasing decision based on the outcomes of those evaluations ;-)
Also, many kids just like to use or try out various apps/games, most of which will become "boring" to those kids very quickly, making them seek newer apps/games, so in this sense iPhone DOES provide better "entertainment" to them and their ADD nature due to the largest amount of such content ;-) Of course not all of them are so apps-hungry, but many are and to them it may seem strange that other kids may choose a smartphone platform with significantly smaller amount of entertainment content.

Sadly, this mindlessly following someone's opinion is causing one to lose tons of money as well. (IE: Following a friend's stock advice, business decision, etc).
IMHO, people that follows the stuff you mentioned lack a definite decision and purpose that they can't live without relying on someone else's "opinion."

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Expensive product with cheap glass.
This might be a MS forum, but have you ever seen those Galaxy vs iPhone drop tests? I want to see that with a Lumia one of these days...
*oh, wait...*

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OP's sister is in 8th grade. Most 8th graders don't even know there's an alternative. They think smartphone is iphone. That's what they mean when they ask 'why didn't you get an iphone'. It's not because they think iphone is better than Android or WP. A few who actually sees WP for the first time are often amazed by the fact that there is an alternative and WP actually looks very cool. My kid took a WP to school one day and she said kids drooled all over it when they saw it. And this is a 2 year old Samsung Focus I gave her lol.

College kids (and quite a few adults) are a different story. They are mostly insecure and just want to be seen "mainstream" to be safe so they choose iphone. I think things are starting to change a bit as more and more are willing to switch to Android and WP.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Seriously. For example, I wanted to watch all of the episodes of "Big Bang Theory". I simply turned on my TV, switched to my AppleTV, browsed to iTunes store on it, made a purchase with a few clicks of remote using excellent user-friendly GUI and immediately started watching them. I watched a few episodes on TV using AppleTV, then when I couldn't use my TV - I continued to watch the rest of the episodes on my iPhone and my iPad, which were downloaded seamlessly over WiFi, WITHOUT connecting either my iPad or iPhone to my PC or MacBook Pro. When I was able to use my TV again, I continued watching it there again, using AppleTV. Same goes for all my music and most of my movies (the ones that were not purchased on Blu-Ray disks... b.t.w, some Blu-Ray movie versions include a code in the box which allows you to download a free iTunes copy of this movie for all iOS devices). This is the BEST (most seamless and most convenient) "media ecosystem" I have personally experienced based on my experience with Android, iOS and WP8 phones. You may have different experience with the stolen music and movies you've downloaded at some BitTorrent site, but it's really not a "valid" issue that Apple has to care about ;-) Of course, my example will simply fall on deaf ears and I will definitely be told to "go away" and that I don't "belong to this L33t circle-jerk WP fanbot club" but oh well, hopefully at least some individuals (without fanbot mentality) will be able to see my point ;-)

That is exactly the experience I have had the last two years with Windows Phone 7, the Xbox 360, and Windows 7.

Go to Xbox Video, buy a season, watch on the Xbox. Stop, continue on WP7. Go to a friends house, log on to their Xbox, watch some more. End up at school, logon with the Laptop, watch some more.

All of the above still works with the exception of WP8, there is a DRM issue playing back Xbox video content on WP8 that was purchased on the Xbox. Though I am sure a fix is on the way.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Omnious: of course its crammed, its Apple. Im not saying people loathe Apple products all og a sudden, but that instead of seeing iphoned everywhere, now i see Galaxys frequently, and now that i talk to people considering a new phone, its not always automatically "iPhone" any more.

Yes iTunes is nice with your purchased-from-iTunes content, but what about my library of physical copies of movies and downloaded content?
Not all downloaded media is pirated material, BTW.

And as mentioned earlier, you get the same system with MS.

The iPhone has no advantage over my 920 for me that would make me consider it or recommend it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I would never get an iPhone because I know Apple are producing good products, but they are the most hypocritical company around. I mean, all of them are, they have to be, but Apple is just so much worse. These "We love everybody, and that's the reason we make products, it's all the love, not the money, love, love love" presentations just make me sick.

Also, the iOS interface just seems so outdated. It looks old, it feels old, it IS old.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I once was an iSheep. I knew nothing of the competition, except that it can't compete with apple. I had everything apple. I loved my iPhone 4. Then I saw windows phone, and I loved it.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually, you can get media files to the iPhone the same way if you choose although it is not automatic. For many people being able to plug the phone into iTunes and let the application do the work for them is very convenient.

One of the big advantages to the iPhone is the integration of all the parts, iPhone, iTunes and the App store. For young people, that, and the fact they are popular, are huge selling points - much stronger to many young people than any actual advantages or disadvantages the phone may offer.

For me, I moved away from the iPhone because I was getting bored with the OS and because I wanted a larger screen. That said, the iPhone is by far the most mature OS out there right now and the design of the iphone itself is very well thought out ergonomically That makes the final package a very smooth experience, and that is why many people continue to buy them - the phones are convenient and people generally know they are going to work well, even if they aren't the "best" in every situation.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I want a new experience and I don't want the "freedom" android give. Naturally there is small issue with wp8 before all stuff are fixed.
And I l like the platform but I'm little frightened over how Microsoft will update the platform in the long run. Many time I feel that they are slow in response when new bugs appears.

paneerakbari

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8 can all do this through the Xbox 360 with Xbox Video content using SmartGlass. The experience is very streamlined and allows for switching among multiple screens over WiFi. Admittedly, Xbox Video doesn't have the Blu-Ray add-on items, but I'm sitting out another round of disk-based media in favor of the distribution model of an Xbox Video.

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The answer is simple...its boring and stagnant
In details:
1. OS is really out of date...icons suck...live tiles are better
2. Small screen...Lumia 920's is not only larger but more clearer...more PPI
3. I don't have apple ecosystem...have always been a Windows user
4. Lumia 920 has better hardware and killer looks...so what if iPhone is few grams lighter...Lumia 920 gives that solid feel in your hand and colors to choose from
5. Lumia 920 camera is better...low light especially
6. Nokia maps and drive....Apple goofed up on this
7. Proprietary charging cable
8. Any tom, dick and harry would have an iPhone...herd mentality

The only reason against Lumia 920 is apps...need more apps

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I was asked the question "Why didn't you just get an iPhone" only once - not even by an iPhone user. My answer was: Because when I thoroughly evaluated, The Lumia 800 came out on top, followed by the iPhone. "Everybody has an iPhone", she then told me. "Why should I care?", I then said.
She knew no answer to that.

The third friend on that evening - an iPhone user - could explain perfectly well what she likes about it. I am perfectly fine with that as I respect that different people = different needs.

As long as such a person doesn't suddenly think that her opinion must be the rest of the worlds opinion and therefore, that person must be right, therefore, all persons with different opinions must be stupid people burying their heads in the sand. Yes, that's for that person who thinks that if he/she sais the iPhone is best, it MUST be an universal truth. Ugh. How arrogant, and how utterly unrealistic at the same time. Ever thought that a certain app that is a live or death issue for you is completely unimportant for others? Ever thought that there are *gasp* people in the world who do their choices unaffected of what everybody else thinks and has?

BTW, in my professional circles, an iPhone is often frowned upon - the IT guys in my company seem to prefer Android by a large margin (not true for the rest of my country, though, we're quite enAppled - except for Laptops and Desktops, where the Majority has MS devices). My new, bright yellow Lumia made them curious, though, I heard things like: "Does it have Word? Is it usable? Can I try? Looks cool".

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8 can all do this through the Xbox 360 with Xbox Video content using SmartGlass. The experience is very streamlined and allows for switching among multiple screens over WiFi. Admittedly, Xbox Video doesn't have the Blu-Ray add-on items, but I'm sitting out another round of disk-based media in favor of the distribution model of an Xbox Video.

I have not found the experience with xBox to be as smoothly integrated as the Apple experience, even if the functionality is there. I am hopeful that is going to change.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Why I didn't get an iPhone?

1. Boring User Interface
  2. Difficult to transfer data and musics from PC to the phone
  3. Useless maps and navigation system
  4. Overrated
  5. Extremely expensive!

Yeah.. Got a Nokia Lumia 620 instead and I'm happy with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven