Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    So I let my younger sister (she's in the 8th grade) have my Trophy recently since I replaced it with my 822. She really likes Windows Phone and so she was pretty excited to get to use it. But the crazy thing is that she's been asked at least 3 times by her peers why she didn't get an iPhone. I told her to ask them "why?" to everything to see what they really know. None of them can give any legitimate reasons. They tell her the iPhone can do certain things that her's can't, even though it actually can. They tell her the iPhone is cool and that no one likes Windows Phone (even though they probably have no idea what it is). It seems to me like these kids think the iPhone is the only actual smartphone out there, like it's some kind of god to them or something. It's really frustrating to my sister as well as myself. Sure, these kids are 14-year-olds, but they're so impressionable in their early years. And this is nothing against the iPhone, it's really just a lot of the people that use them are incredibly ignorant when it comes to phones. It seems like this is the biggest barrier to get past in terms of gaining marketshare.

Anyway, anyone else have any ridiculous stories like this about people and their ignorance with phones?
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Kids like to get the latest hip app to play with their friends every week. Windows Phone doesn't get the latest and greatest apps. For kids, windows phone isn't fun. It just isn't. I'm not a kid, I love my 8x, but if all I cared about was having the newest facebook game every week so I could be cool I would have gotten an iphone.
    Alex Kj likes this.
    Back in my day (public school in the 90's) high school brats didn't have 700 dollar cell phones. :)

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Q. Why didnt you get an iphone?

A. Becasue my nan has got one.
    afgzee likes this.

A: "because iphones Are SO 2010. Get with the times."

Would be a good answer for a 14 year old.
    MarcXW likes this.

There’s really no way around this. The iPhone is a ubiquitous presence in the smartphone arena. For many young, old and in-between, the iPhone is the end all beat all even though they may not have experience with other capable and/or superior smartphones. We will always encounter the type of attitude you described. In a recent discussion, a friend of mine argued that Apple invented the touchscreen. To me this was laughable but it doesn’t so much speak to her ignorance as it does to the power of the Apple/iPhone brand.
    MarcXW likes this.

IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
    I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post
    IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
    I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.
    I agree. I have a friend who had the 3G, 3GS, and 4S. Instead of getting the 5, he switched to the Note II.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BotanicalStig View Post
    Kids like to get the latest hip app to play with their friends every week. Windows Phone doesn't get the latest and greatest apps. For kids, windows phone isn't fun. It just isn't. I'm not a kid, I love my 8x, but if all I cared about was having the newest facebook game every week so I could be cool I would have gotten an iphone.
    These kids don't know anything about Windows Phone. It's not that they know that WP doesn't have as many games or apps, it's just not cool for them to have anything other than iPhone. You could tell these kids that WP cures cancer, and then they'd say "but it's not an iPhone, so who cares?".

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Back in my day (public school in the 90's) high school brats didn't have 700 dollar cell phones. :)
    That's because no one had $700 cell phones...plus, these kids get them for $200 on contract. Though my sister did tell me about someone in her grade who dropped her iPhone, broke it, and then her mom bought her a new one. There's just so little responsibility these days.
    ClixT likes this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    They stopped being fun many many years ago. Plus, Steve jobs was a twice-used ****** bag.
    ~Sal
    Thanked by:
    sinime 
    crystal_planet and James8561 like this.

Global Posts
    2,545 Global Posts
    I usually answer along the lines of "Why on earth WOULD I have got an iPhone?".

Usually they can't even come up with any real argument :D
    Thanked by:
    willied and James8561 like this.

Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-) Some people just like to mindlessly follow the other people's choices instead of doing their own research, evaluating the competing products themselves and then making their purchasing decision based on the outcomes of those evaluations ;-)
    Also, many kids just like to use or try out various apps/games, most of which will become "boring" to those kids very quickly, making them seek newer apps/games, so in this sense iPhone DOES provide better "entertainment" to them and their ADD nature due to the largest amount of such content ;-) Of course not all of them are so apps-hungry, but many are and to them it may seem strange that other kids may choose a smartphone platform with significantly smaller amount of entertainment content.
    Last edited by Alex Kj; 01-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kj View Post
    Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-)
    But that's the thing...I've never heard any of those in real life. Also, what I'm saying that these kids don't even mention apps as a reason when they're asked why they buy them...that's the crazy thing. They literally have no reason other than it's cool, or it's what everyone else has, etc.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Because they're boring. Got my brother's old iPhone, and I liked the quality, but not the software.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    snowmutt likes this.
    iSheep: Wait, why did you get that **** (my awesome yellow 920) over the (crappy) iPhone 5?

Me: I got a larger screen, I've had LTE before you, my screen is better (SST and HD+), I have an awesome and a non-boring UI, my phone has a better camera, my phone actually isn't a boring slab, and a lot more. I could go on forever.

iSheep: But... But... But it's not an iPhone.

Me: Give me 5 reasons why the iPhone is better than my phone.

iSheep: I have apps, you don't!

Me: All phones have apps.

iSheep: Well, I have, um... um...

Me (inside): :D
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt, gedzum, RushilPa and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by willied View Post
    But that's the thing...I've never heard any of those in real life. Also, what I'm saying that these kids don't even mention apps as a reason when they're asked why they buy them...that's the crazy thing. They literally have no reason other than it's cool, or it's what everyone else has, etc.
    Well, like I said - some people like to blindly "follow" other people's choices, including a perception of "what's cool to use" because they want to be "accepted" into a large "herd" and not be a "different" individual. Some people "grow out" of this phase, some never do ;-) Nothing wrong or "crazy" with both of those choices, especially now that many people have internet access and can easily find similarly-minded people to converse with (about your preferred smartphone, for example) online, without having to "adjust" to the "peer pressure" or the preferences of "offline" friends/schoolmates/coworkers ;-) Too bad some ******ed parents don't understand such benefits of internet and try to force their children to "not spend a lot of time on evil, evil internets, filled with predators and other bad people!" ;-)

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    Plus, Steve jobs was a twice-used ****** bag.
    You sir, win free internets for the day.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Q: Why didn't you get an iPhone?

A: Ummm.... Sorry?? Did you ask something? I was too busy looking directly at the most important information on my Live Tiles and typing on my keyboard that doesn't over correct my words for me. I also spent a few minutes looking up a location and it actually gave it to me right. I also saw it on a screen size I decided on, instead of having my phone maker tell me what size is actually the best. I also have a new, vibrant UI, instead of one from 9 devices ago, so I enjoy using my phone instead of criticizing others for their choices to feel better about myself.

Care to repeat the question?
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    "Why didn't you get an iPhone?"

"Because you touch yourself at night."

(Works on almost all annoying questions.)
    Thanked by:
    willied likes this.

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    Q: Why didn't you get an iPhone?

A: Ummm.... Sorry?? Did you ask something? I was too busy looking directly at the most important information on my Live Tiles and typing on my keyboard that doesn't over correct my words for me. I also spent a few minutes looking up a location and it actually gave it to me right. I also saw it on a screen size I decided on, instead of having my phone maker tell me what size is actually the best. I also have a new, vibrant UI, instead of one from 9 devices ago, so I enjoy using my phone instead of criticizing others for their choices to feel better about myself.

Care to repeat the question?
    whooo I like it!!
    Thanked by:
    Mike3of3, LeLee092 and Kuldeep2104 like this.

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    If they had an iPhone since the first one came out, they would understand why alot of us switched, same boring UI, design isn't changing either. I watched the last Apple conference that introduced the iPhone5, never been more disappointed about a phone, and people just buy it because its apple and everyone had one. Kids these days have their parents buy them an iPhone as a first phone and all of a sudden they are super cool. I'm happy with the Lumia 920:) (I do still have my iphone4 for some apps I still use at home).
    snowmutt and LeLee092 like this.
  22. tgp

Global Posts
    2,841 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    iSheep: I have apps, you don't!
    That's actually a very valid point!

I want to be different, WP8 seems, so pure and clean. I wish we had better apps that is all, the main reason was the awesome Lumia range though.
    LeLee092 likes this.

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    The question I get is "why do you have so many smartphones"? I have 6 of them currently, with 5 different operating systems. (That number will likely grow to 8 or 9 smartphones by spring; I'm jonesing for a high-end WP8 device, preferably a Nokia, on Verizon, would also really like to buy an iPhone 5, and may get a new HP Pre 3 on the cheap just because I have a soft spot for webOS and would like to get the device that essentially was/is webOS' flagship smartphone.) Most people think I'm crazy. (They'd be right, but it has nothing to do with my smartphone fleet. )

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    I didn't get an iPhone because:

1) The interface is boring. It is just rows of static buttons. Android is much more useful and WP useful, organized, fast and stylish.
    2) iPhone screen is too small. Nokia Lumia 920's 4.5 inch screen is nice but I would like a Samsung Galaxy Note II even more.
    3) The only other Apple product I have ever owned is an iPad 2 and I am giving that to a friend. I don't have an Apple ecosystem.
    4) Apple products are too expensive. Compare the price for features of a Nokia Lumia 920 versus and iPhone 5.
    James8561 likes this.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast