Fanboys?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The owner of our company took his macbook to the apple store. Over a week and a new hard drive later, not to mention 2 years worth of e-mail lost, they never could tell him what happened and what was wrong. I think I'll pass on that kind of customer support.

I would be hesitant to just peg the entire whole as incompetent from one bad experience. Sure, its not something you want to hear just in case you happen to one day experience such a thing. I've experienced really shi#$y customer service with places just as much as I've experienced really good. I don't know of any business/service that has perfect customer service.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I would be hesitant to just peg the entire whole as incompetent from one bad experience. Sure, its not something you want to hear just in case you happen to one day experience such a thing. I've experienced really shi#$y customer service with places just as much as I've experienced really good. I don't know of any business/service that has perfect customer service.

It really should be perfect though if you are paying 3 or 4 x cost for it. Even if they give you a new one, they are still making 2 or 3 x the cost, so no excuses really. I am sure there are more than one bad experience and that is just too many for the price. You are effectively buying a really expensive extended warranty when you purchase an Apple product so there are no excuses for them to be worse than say a Best Buy PSP or some of the other warranties.

Other companies have a legitimate excuse, they make no profit or lose money on their products. So if they replaced everyone's laptop for a really lame reason, they would go out of business. So of course it makes sense for their warranties to be more difficult. They have to take measures to weed out the unreasonable warranty requests or go out of business.

Apple is simply raping people left and right and should take care of their bi t ch es. No excuses.

To the OP. There are plenty examples of fanboys in this very thread. Mainly Apple ones but I think the entire WP central forum and some of the editors here are total Windows Phone fanboys. At least, in my opinion. No one here seems to be able to objectively judge any other operating system besides Windows Phone 8 and occasionally IOS. Black Berry and Android? There is obvious hate towards those two in these forums. A lot of people here simply just make things up about those two operating systems.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Fanboys are the spice of internet forums! I love sitting back and watching IOS vs android vs WP fans go at it. Pretty damn entertaining!

Especially when people go ape #$%& for something as simple as a cell phone. Classic!

Where can I find these threads it forums?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Where can I find these threads it forums?
I'd say look in Windows Phone forums for a "This is why Windows Phone sucks" thread. You could also make it really easy on yourself and wander in to an article at The Verge talking about Windows Phone... actually, just about any article on The Verge involving Microsoft, Google, or Apple... particularly phones though ;)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Paid twice as much for a decent unit that I can't get to crash on Windows 8! Whereas my desktop (custom built) randomly locks up frequently on both Win7 and Win8... I know which one I'd rather have, even when you factor in the price!
Clearly you have a problem with your custom, but I'm running an i3 laptop with first win 7 then 8 and I have never had a single problem.

Just like any ad: "Results may vary"

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

True that you shouldn't paint a broad stroke from a single experience. But unfortunately that was just one of several experiences. And since his son is an apple fan and tells him what to use, he remains in that system. Fortunately it only goes as far as his personal use and we don't use it in the company.

And I supposed you can't judge all apple stores and customer service from just one with repeated bad performance. But surely you can understand any hesitation one might have. And as stated by tomatoes, for that kind of money, there should be no hesitation.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If you're not joking, you should be smacked with a shovel.

I'm not joking. Have you been to Best Buy lately?

This is gorgeous...
http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Vizio-Ultrabook-Thin7.jpg

These are not...
http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-Ultrabook-4_Win8-screen.jpeg

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/550P5C_001_Front-Angle-Open_silver.jpeg

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/XPS-Duo-12.jpeg

Maybe being a Product/UI designer I'm a bit more picky, but I've been amazed how cheap and crappy looking laptops and ultrabooks STILL look.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
But it is the Apple vs. everyone else argument all over again. Sure, Macs are quality hardware but you really do pay a premium for it (and a lot of the times, I don't think it is justified) - whether or not that is worth it, is purely up to you and your pocket. I, personally, don't want the hassle of learning OSX or dealing with the limitations imposed on the hardware but that's not to say that the same goes for everyone.

It's just like the argument with the iPhone - the device is gorgeous and the build quality is easily one of the best in the business and if you really want to compare it to say something like the LG Optimus, you could convince people that the Apple device does it better but what if you compare it to someone like Nokia? Nokia has great customer service AND quality hardware (better than even Apple's) so it really depends on whom you go with.

Needless to say that different people will have different experiences with different companies - I for one loath both Dell and HP and adore Samsung (at least when it comes to PCs) but I know there will be hundreds who think the other way around. Also, I don't think the quality of hardware sucks on PCs, it's just that when you try to buy a machine for $400, you better not expect anything other than plastic for that thing. The only issue I have seen is OEMs scaling the crappy design up. Some high end HP Envy's for example, have started looking like a baboon's backside because they cost $50 less than their predecessor. That's not the way to do it and I think this is why the Surface was formulated. In my opinion, OEMs could attack a middle ground between cheap laptops and Apple's products and make some decent looking hardware at a decent price - just a pity that this doesn't happen too often since corporate management and the urge to maximize short term gains gets in the way. There is some hope though because I've seen that after the advent of Windows 8, many OEMs are really stepping it up (Vizio, Acer, Asus and Samsung have all introduced some good looking hardware with a decent price tag) so let's see.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not joking. Have you been to Best Buy lately?

This is gorgeous...
http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Vizio-Ultrabook-Thin7.jpg

These are not...
http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-Ultrabook-4_Win8-screen.jpeg

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/550P5C_001_Front-Angle-Open_silver.jpeg

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/XPS-Duo-12.jpeg

Maybe being a Product/UI designer I'm a bit more picky, but I've been amazed how cheap and crappy looking laptops and ultrabooks STILL look.

It also depends upon each person's needs. The Lenovo T60 was not pretty, but it was a workhorse that could survive if one spilled his/her coffee on it. For some users, function is more desirable than aesthetics.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It also depends upon each person's needs. The Lenovo T60 was not pretty, but it was a workhorse that could survive if one spilled his/her coffee on it. For some users, function is more desirable than aesthetics.

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, or just plain old (school) but I never understood how a phone was described as "sexy". If my wife looked like a phone, I'd be cheatin'.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It really should be perfect though if you are paying 3 or 4 x cost for it. Even if they give you a new one, they are still making 2 or 3 x the cost, so no excuses really. I am sure there are more than one bad experience and that is just too many for the price. You are effectively buying a really expensive extended warranty when you purchase an Apple product so there are no excuses for them to be worse than say a Best Buy PSP or some of the other warranties.

Other companies have a legitimate excuse, they make no profit or lose money on their products. So if they replaced everyone's laptop for a really lame reason, they would go out of business. So of course it makes sense for their warranties to be more difficult. They have to take measures to weed out the unreasonable warranty requests or go out of business.

Apple is simply raping people left and right and should take care of their bi t ch es. No excuses.

To the OP. There are plenty examples of fanboys in this very thread. Mainly Apple ones but I think the entire WP central forum and some of the editors here are total Windows Phone fanboys. At least, in my opinion. No one here seems to be able to objectively judge any other operating system besides Windows Phone 8 and occasionally IOS. Black Berry and Android? There is obvious hate towards those two in these forums. A lot of people here simply just make things up about those two operating systems.

I don't disagree that with paying that much, you have the right to expect stellar customer service. I just know from experience (not specifically Apple) that this isn't always the case. I've experienced the good and the bad in the last two days with AT&T. Could not get one CSR to help me with my situation. Today, I finally spoke to a competent individual and got $50 bucks off my next phone bill for all my troubles.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, or just plain old (school) but I never understood how a phone was described as "sexy". If my wife looked like a phone, I'd be cheatin'.
Most of the time, nobody even sees the phone anyway, since most people use cases. The days of this are gone.

breakfloor_zpsf13a171e.jpeg

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

So no cars look sexy to you?

Sexy has been a generalized term for aesthetic attractiveness for a long time. :)

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Sexy has been a generalized term for aesthetic attractiveness for a long time. :)
cars are just objects, a women is entirely different. A person would like the car so much more ( or in my case a motorcycle ) if a sexy women was on it or standing next to it.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's just like the argument with the iPhone - the device is gorgeous and the build quality is easily one of the best in the business and if you really want to compare it to say something like the LG Optimus, you could convince people that the Apple device does it better but what if you compare it to someone like Nokia? Nokia has great customer service AND quality hardware (better than even Apple's) so it really depends on whom you go with.

I'm starting to disagree with the Nokia=quality hardware argument. I have a Lumia 900. The camera is Meh at best. The screen squeeks and creaks in its setting, which is incredibly annoying when you are on a phone call. And this phone is less than a year old. I have used iPhones that are over a year old and are still just as solid as the day they left the factory. Thats not to say there aren't other companies that put out just as quality of hardware as Apple, just that I don't think Nokia is on their same level. I know I would have a hard time buying another Nokia product after my 900 expereince.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Is this a trick question? Maybe it's because I'm a product of the 60's but sexy, to me, means something attractive that would make me want to have sex with it. Salma Hayek: YES! Ferrari: only if Salma's in it.

Get the point?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills