Fanboys?

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm (vaguely) interested in the origins and uses of words. Being a bit new to the world of modern smartphones and their forums, the word "Fanboys" that I see puzzles me. Is the term derogatory? That is, is a ****** someone who sides with something to the exclusion of all else through blind faith, and so could be regarded as being incapable of contemplating anything other than that something, or is a ****** merely someone who has a preference of one thing over another with an acceptance of others' preferences too? Well, it is the Off Topic Lounge, isn't it! I wouldn't want to dis' anyone here by using the word incorrectly, would I?

GraemeT.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm (vaguely) interested in the origins and uses of words. Being a bit new to the world of modern smartphones and their forums, the word "Fanboys" that I see puzzles me. Is the term derogatory? That is, is a ****** someone who sides with something to the exclusion of all else through blind faith, and so could be regarded as being incapable of contemplating anything other than that something, or is a ****** merely someone who has a preference of one thing over another with an acceptance of others' preferences too? Well, it is the Off Topic Lounge, isn't it! I wouldn't want to dis' anyone here by using the word incorrectly, would I?

GraemeT.

A ****** someone who sides with something to the exclusion of all else through blind faith, and so could be regarded as being incapable of contemplating anything other than that something.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Warning: Slightly long opinion piece here...

In tech blogs, comment sections on most sites, and forums, ****** seems to be used/seen as derogatory for the most part. When I see someone write "He's an apple ******" for example, I might immediately think of someone who blindly purchases all Apple products without a second thought, making excuses for nearly every shortcoming they may have or mistakes they may make, may be seen publicly "defending" Apple products and the brand as aggressively, word-twistingly, or blatantly as they can (sometimes the truth, sometimes an exaggeration, or sometimes only believing/hearing and regurgitating what they want to see), over exaggerating the usefulness of any minor new feature/product/update and... basically... defending them against all odds.

It may seem a little extreme, but I feel that is what many think of when they think of a "true ******". It extends beyond smartphones, OEM's, and Apple/Microsoft/Google/RIM... a "COD/Call of Duty" ****** would be someone who blindly purchases every new Call of Duty game... and defend it against other competing shooters such as Battlefield.

Either way, I think there are varying "levels" of fanboys. Aside from the "true ****** / extreme ******" mentioned above, there are the people who are simply loyal to a company but know its faults and shortcomings and accept it hoping for improvement - maybe even getting actively involved in a petition or something - but they will still usually buy many of their products. Then there are those who may be loyal to a company but accept that they can put out some crappy products that aren't for them so they get what does work for them - even a competitor's product - yet still publicly defend the company for which they are loyal to and hope for the best. Oh, and then you have the fanboys that aggressively defend their company of choice until they find something that really pisses them off about a new product. After some whining, they pledge their allegiance to another company who "never would have made a product like that" and they may or may not stick with that one either :p

Finally, you have the "casual fanboys" who are usually just defending their purchase because - c'mon - you don't want to look like the doof who spent money on a crappy product. As an example, my mom turned into a "casual ******" of the Android platform because all of her friends and everyone she talked to would not stop raving about Android (same with my dad, actually) so she bought one. When I got my first WP last November my mom asked how I was enjoying it, but every feature I figured would be awesome to demo she would retort with, "Oh yea, my Android does that" and it got annoying... can't I be excited about my new phone? I would show off a feature that Android can't do natively without an app - or that I think WP does better - and I will get the "Well, I'm sure Android can do that, I know there are a lot of things I don't know about the phone" speech. Of course, after her phone started getting sluggish and slowing down, the attitude changed a bit. I reminded her that, with Android, she'll have to get the top of the line phone to ensure a smooth, non-laggy experience... a bit fanboyish of me, but hey, I experienced that on my old Android phone :p I also reminded her that there are other smartphone platforms out there, and each has its faults.

All my opinion of course, based on my observations in the tech community and the general public's growing allegiance/loyalty to companies and their products. . I don't think the word "******" will always carry a negative connotation. As an example, I casually refer to myself as a geek but if I say that in front of my father he gets upset and tells me not to insult myself like that. Then again, geek can still be used negatively depending on how someone says it or in what context. So can any word.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
By my definition, a ****** is somebody who glosses over or defends the shortcomings and trashes the opposition without giving it a fair shake. Close-mindedness is the key trait here...

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
As ever, thanks everyone. Particularly Mystictrust, for your ****** thesis! It was very good of you to offer such a response to my rather idle question. So as I gauge it, generally derogatory (although that might change over time and usage) but should always be taken in the context that it was meant (although that could be subjective). Actually, in its milder interpretation, I'm probably becoming a bit of a WP8 ****** myself!!!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Fanboys are the spice of internet forums! I love sitting back and watching IOS vs android vs WP fans go at it. Pretty damn entertaining!

Especially when people go ape #$%& for something as simple as a cell phone. Classic!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a ****** of quality hardware. I don't care how much I love an OS, if its on sh*tty hardware, I won't buy it. That's why, although I loved webOS, I never owned a device running it, but was planning on grabbing a Pre 3 (before it ended up never launching). Its also why I used OSX for a while. There were no PC's available with the build quality of my MacBook.

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Used (but looked brand new) on Ebay for $500. I'd rather have a used BMW than a new Kia. At the time I got it, ultrabooks were still $1000+ and non ultrabooks were generally cheaply built.
not the Asus Zenbook UX31. Too bad it had a terrible trackpad and non backlit keyboard.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You also paid twice as much for that quality - so it's a wash.
The price also includes much superior customer support - when one of my friends had a major issue with his MacBook Pro, he brought it to local Apple store and they took care of the rest of diagnostic and repair process, without forcing him to spend 2 hours on a phone with "George" from South Asia ;-)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^^PC hardware has been ****ty for a long time. Vizio is the first company I've ever seen create hardware as gorgeous and high quality as Apple. Going to the store and see all these laptops and desktops running Windows 8, all I can think of is look how ****ty these devices look compared to the modern OS that is on them.

There is a reason MS made the Surface. So OEMs will see how they SHOULD be making these devices.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The price also includes much superior customer support - when one of my friends had a major issue with his MacBook Pro, he brought it to local Apple store and they took care of the rest of diagnostic and repair process, without forcing him to spend 2 hours on a phone with "George" from South Asia ;-)
Who cares if it's George from Oregon or Yorge from India. Tell you what, at the same price, I'll get two Wintel laptops and use one for a spare. My downtime will be less than your friend's.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The owner of our company took his macbook to the apple store. Over a week and a new hard drive later, not to mention 2 years worth of e-mail lost, they never could tell him what happened and what was wrong. I think I'll pass on that kind of customer support.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3