The king is back baby!

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Review — a series risen from the dead

Fitness Apps

Keep your New Year's fitness resolutions with these great Windows 10 apps!

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

Get ready for beta!

Halo Wars 2 Blitz: Game modes, beginner's tips, and more

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex Kj
  • 1 Post By spaulagain
  • 1 Post By spaulagain
  1. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    6,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,122 Global Posts
       #1  
  2. #2  
    It appears that Microsoft is becoming more of a company targeting enterprises than consumers. Microsoft earnings report show the future of the company: Enterprises first, consumers last | Computerworld Blogs
  3. gpstrucker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #3  
    Becoming a company targeting enterprise? That has always been there business model.
  4. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It appears that Microsoft is becoming more of a company targeting enterprises than consumers. Microsoft earnings report show the future of the company: Enterprises first, consumers last | Computerworld Blogs
    Uhh, where have you been the past 20 years?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Uhh, where have you been the past 20 years?
    Some of the earlier versions of Windows definitely targeted consumers, not enterprises. 98 and ME were supposed to be for consumers. 2000 was the enterprise version.

    It wasn't until XP that the NT version of Windows was for consumers and enterprises. Previously NT was for enterprise, and DOS-based was for consumers.
  6. Alex Kj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #6  
    PC-Plus Era? Probably, since I myself use my mobile devices very often, even at home... Especially in bathroom ;-)
    Post-PC? Definitely not, the PCs will continue to exist forever. They may have different form of input/output devices (for example, instead of "old and busted" displays and mouse/keyboard they will use VR goggles and VR gloves or full-body VR suits with full-body haptic feedback or (in the very far future) "brain wave activity" interfaces) but there will always be need for large boxes housing most powerful consumer hardware available for the most demanding tasks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  7. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Some of the earlier versions of Windows definitely targeted consumers, not enterprises. 98 and ME were supposed to be for consumers. 2000 was the enterprise version.

    It wasn't until XP that the NT version of Windows was for consumers and enterprises. Previously NT was for enterprise, and DOS-based was for consumers.
    Then why would you say they are just now going for enterprise in your first post?

    For sometime now their products weighed heavily on the business/enterprise side. Office, Server, Dynamics, an OS that supports any business required program. Consumer focused products like Zune, Xbox, Windows Media Center, etc. have usually been side shows. Its only recently actually that MS has pushed more of the consumer aspects of their product lines.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Then why would you say they are just now going for enterprise in your first post?

    For sometime now their products weighed heavily on the business/enterprise side. Office, Server, Dynamics, an OS that supports any business required program. Consumer focused products like Zune, Xbox, Windows Media Center, etc. have usually been side shows. Its only recently actually that MS has pushed more of the consumer aspects of their product lines.
    I believe that Microsoft might focus less on consumers and more on enterprises.

    I believe there was more of a consumer focus in the late 90s with Windows 98/ME.
  9. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I believe that Microsoft might focus less on consumers and more on enterprises.

    I believe there was more of a consumer focus in the late 90s with Windows 98/ME.
    I think its the opposite. Most of their big product releases and changes have been very consumer oriented. Kinect, Windows 8, Windows Phone, are very consumer focused with business integrated. Sure, their enterprise market will continue to grow with the strength it already has. But Apple has made some serious impacts in the consumer market and MS is not going to let them just have at it. They want a slice of it too.

    I think Microsoft is trying to connect consumer with enterprise in a more seamless and congruent manner. That's where they are heading.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    I think its the opposite. Most of their big product releases and changes have been very consumer oriented. Kinect, Windows 8, Windows Phone, are very consumer focused with business integrated. Sure, their enterprise market will continue to grow with the strength it already has. But Apple has made some serious impacts in the consumer market and MS is not going to let them just have at it. They want a slice of too.

    I think Microsoft is trying to connect consumer with enterprise in a more seamless and congruent manner. That's where they are heading.
    It will be interesting, since Microsoft also has compete with RedHat and other Linux in the enterprise. Apple is more popular in enterprise in terms of mobile products (BYOD), but Apple is pretty much a nonentity in enterprise otherwise. Linux servers are common in enterprise.
  11. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It will be interesting, since Microsoft also has compete with RedHat and other Linux in the enterprise. Apple is more popular in enterprise in terms of mobile products (BYOD), but Apple is pretty much a nonentity in enterprise otherwise. Linux servers are common in enterprise.
    They're common for web servers, and have been for some time. Nothing has changed in that realm. Our company has been using Linux web servers since it was found 12 years ago.

    But Linux is empty handed when it comes to employee services.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Is this the replacement for "meta"?
    By Laura Knotek in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 02:29 AM
  2. Is this the worst product roll-out you have ever seen?
    By steve_w_7 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM
  3. Is this the Lumia Pureview???
    By ryouzaki in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows Phones
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
  4. This is why the 900 has a chance
    By baseballbert in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 02:25 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions