Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex Kj
  • 1 Post By spaulagain
  • 1 Post By spaulagain

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    It appears that Microsoft is becoming more of a company targeting enterprises than consumers. Microsoft earnings report show the future of the company: Enterprises first, consumers last | Computerworld Blogs

Becoming a company targeting enterprise? That has always been there business model.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It appears that Microsoft is becoming more of a company targeting enterprises than consumers. Microsoft earnings report show the future of the company: Enterprises first, consumers last | Computerworld Blogs
    Uhh, where have you been the past 20 years?

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Uhh, where have you been the past 20 years?
    Some of the earlier versions of Windows definitely targeted consumers, not enterprises. 98 and ME were supposed to be for consumers. 2000 was the enterprise version.

It wasn't until XP that the NT version of Windows was for consumers and enterprises. Previously NT was for enterprise, and DOS-based was for consumers.

PC-Plus Era? Probably, since I myself use my mobile devices very often, even at home... Especially in bathroom ;-)
    Post-PC? Definitely not, the PCs will continue to exist forever. They may have different form of input/output devices (for example, instead of "old and busted" displays and mouse/keyboard they will use VR goggles and VR gloves or full-body VR suits with full-body haptic feedback or (in the very far future) "brain wave activity" interfaces) but there will always be need for large boxes housing most powerful consumer hardware available for the most demanding tasks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Some of the earlier versions of Windows definitely targeted consumers, not enterprises. 98 and ME were supposed to be for consumers. 2000 was the enterprise version.

It wasn't until XP that the NT version of Windows was for consumers and enterprises. Previously NT was for enterprise, and DOS-based was for consumers.
    Then why would you say they are just now going for enterprise in your first post?

For sometime now their products weighed heavily on the business/enterprise side. Office, Server, Dynamics, an OS that supports any business required program. Consumer focused products like Zune, Xbox, Windows Media Center, etc. have usually been side shows. Its only recently actually that MS has pushed more of the consumer aspects of their product lines.

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Then why would you say they are just now going for enterprise in your first post?

For sometime now their products weighed heavily on the business/enterprise side. Office, Server, Dynamics, an OS that supports any business required program. Consumer focused products like Zune, Xbox, Windows Media Center, etc. have usually been side shows. Its only recently actually that MS has pushed more of the consumer aspects of their product lines.
    I believe that Microsoft might focus less on consumers and more on enterprises.

I believe there was more of a consumer focus in the late 90s with Windows 98/ME.

I believe that Microsoft might focus less on consumers and more on enterprises.

I believe there was more of a consumer focus in the late 90s with Windows 98/ME.
    I think its the opposite. Most of their big product releases and changes have been very consumer oriented. Kinect, Windows 8, Windows Phone, are very consumer focused with business integrated. Sure, their enterprise market will continue to grow with the strength it already has. But Apple has made some serious impacts in the consumer market and MS is not going to let them just have at it. They want a slice of it too.

I think Microsoft is trying to connect consumer with enterprise in a more seamless and congruent manner. That's where they are heading.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I think its the opposite. Most of their big product releases and changes have been very consumer oriented. Kinect, Windows 8, Windows Phone, are very consumer focused with business integrated. Sure, their enterprise market will continue to grow with the strength it already has. But Apple has made some serious impacts in the consumer market and MS is not going to let them just have at it. They want a slice of too.

I think Microsoft is trying to connect consumer with enterprise in a more seamless and congruent manner. That's where they are heading.
    It will be interesting, since Microsoft also has compete with RedHat and other Linux in the enterprise. Apple is more popular in enterprise in terms of mobile products (BYOD), but Apple is pretty much a nonentity in enterprise otherwise. Linux servers are common in enterprise.

It will be interesting, since Microsoft also has compete with RedHat and other Linux in the enterprise. Apple is more popular in enterprise in terms of mobile products (BYOD), but Apple is pretty much a nonentity in enterprise otherwise. Linux servers are common in enterprise.
    They're common for web servers, and have been for some time. Nothing has changed in that realm. Our company has been using Linux web servers since it was found 12 years ago.

But Linux is empty handed when it comes to employee services.
    Laura Knotek likes this.