Global Smartphone Sales: Huawei & ZTE, 3rd and 5th

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What qualifies as "good thing" for WP8? Device sales, period? Android has over 70% market share and still lags iOS in terms of profitability from a developer standpoint. The best apps still begin on iOS. Why is that?

Because selling ten million cheap Android handsets to Asian markets doesn't strengthen the Android ecosystem as we see it from a "Western" perspective (for lack of a better term). In fact, selling a hundred million cheap Android handsets to any market doesn't strengthen the ecosystem at all, other than forcing certain services to at least support the platform. Even then, you see instances such as The Next Web pulling their magazine from Android. What, you say? Oh, right - Apple's petty <20% market share garnered TNW 80 times the downloads that Android's >70% market share did. A tonne of cheap, commodity handsets might serve to slap the Android name around, but they don't make a case for the brand other than "everyone's using it". Who wants to write software for laggy QVGA devices?

I'd argue that the same can be said for Windows. Yes, it does hold some pretty key software for some of us - but many software categories are far better served on the Mac side of the equation (two I'd point out: fully fledged to-dos and web publishing software). And nine times out of ten, a Windows version of a piece of software will look like Windows 95 trash and the Mac version will look stunning in comparison.

Microsoft needs two things: one, more and better apps, and two, it needs to fix its flawed software. Neither are solved by market share alone.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What qualifies as "good thing" for WP8? Device sales, period? Android has over 70% market share and still lags iOS in terms of profitability from a developer standpoint. The best apps still begin on iOS. Why is that?

Because selling ten million cheap Android handsets to Asian markets doesn't strengthen the Android ecosystem as we see it from a "Western" perspective (for lack of a better term). In fact, selling a hundred million cheap Android handsets to any market doesn't strengthen the ecosystem at all, other than forcing certain services to at least support the platform. Even then, you see instances such as The Next Web pulling their magazine from Android. What, you say? Oh, right - Apple's petty <20% market share garnered TNW 80 times the downloads that Android's >70% market share did. A tonne of cheap, commodity handsets might serve to slap the Android name around, but they don't make a case for the brand other than "everyone's using it". Who wants to write software for laggy QVGA devices?

I'd argue that the same can be said for Windows. Yes, it does hold some pretty key software for some of us - but many software categories are far better served on the Mac side of the equation (two I'd point out: fully fledged to-dos and web publishing software). And nine times out of ten, a Windows version of a piece of software will look like Windows 95 trash and the Mac version will look stunning in comparison.

Microsoft needs two things: one, more and better apps, and two, it needs to fix its flawed software. Neither are solved by market share alone.

They also need to market their product!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people have a myopic view when looking at Asian markets when looking at technology. There is this mindset that people in places like Asia only settle for cheap goods, and don't care about the ecosystem.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people have a myopic view when looking at Asian markets when looking at technology. There is this mindset that people in places like Asia only settle for cheap goods, and don't care about the ecosystem.
Agree. It's even native to think about Asia as a whole market - there is India which speaks good English, and there are china, Japan etc that don't speak English; they rely on different set of apps and therefore eco-systems; they are of different stages of economic development; heck, they are of vastly different sizes - India and China have more than 1 billion people each, while Singapore has less than 10Million. Trying to deploy a same strategy across such a heterogeneous region is just.... Myopic

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I never said that Asians don't care about the ecosystem. It's that what is considered vital in English speaking countries such as the USA, UK and Australia might not be considered vital for Asian countries. Different services, different usage scenarios, and yes, language barriers do exist. We get to see and use almost every service, those without knowledge of English do not share the same luxury.

And if you believe that high end devices are used heavily throughout Asia, please, let's see the examples (and no, don't show me just Japan). Of the places I've been to and my friends have been to, we do not spot high end phones.

there is India which speaks good English, and there are china, Japan etc that don't speak English; they rely on different set of apps and therefore eco-systems; they are of different stages of economic development; heck, they are of vastly different sizes - India and China have more than 1 billion people each, while Singapore has less than 10Million.
Half of that ties directly into what I said and the other half is irrelevant to the conversation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro