Besides the over abundance of apps, what makes the iPhone so much better?

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used every platform, and besides the beautiful apps I didn't see what the huge deal was about the iPhone. I liked the fluidity and the design (as in it didn't have the cheap feel of most androids), but that was about it. In fact, I ended up switching to an android that had more features for nearly the same price (BB lacked some key features I use, and my local ATT rep bashed Windows Phone so bad it put me off for awhile). Everyone in my family from my father to my husband uses mid-range to high-end Androids, and while it's cool to share some features between us all, I don't plan on going back to the platform.
While I really like my Lumia, I can say I miss a few features from my Skyrocket. Not sure if the Lumia 920 has these, but I won't be shelling too much out on another smartphone (I've spent too much in the past and would like to find something enjoyable for the next year or 2. Only 3 options would be an iPhone 4s or 4 (which I can get a well deal on) or my current Lumia 900 (which I'm leaning toward, if I can figure out a few workarounds). Besides the few features I mentioned, can anyone who has or has had the Lumia 900 and iPhone 4 or 4s share their opinions? I didn't really care for it too much when i had it, but maybe I overlooked something, and I dont have the 2 devices to compare did by side. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw, I chose this site to post because people here seem to give their genuine opinion and the bias level doesn't seem to be as high as some other sites. Thanks again.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think there are three major draws to iPhone.

1. Some people aren't aware of the other options. Specifically, non techie people.
2. All their friends/family/acquaintances have it.
3. Ecosystem and apps

For 3, apps as you mentioned, is a large draw for people. Without apps iPhone can't do much. Ecosystem is a major draw for anyone with Apple TV and mac devices. I think it's as simple as those three major factors.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Nothing really....
I had a Lumia 800 for over 5 months now. I used it to evaluate Smartphones that will make full use of Office 365 since our company has subscribed to it. It does work well together with Office 365, its integration can't be beaten so I decided to make a report and propose it to management but the frustrating truth was that Lumia's are nowhere to be found in most carriers in our country, its listed as coming soon but that was almost a year ago. Bottom line is that we had no choice but to go with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. I've had iPhone 4S for almost a week now and I miss my Lumia 800 (which I gave to another employee since android Japanese support is not that good). Well the iPhone is all about looks, its premium but brittle in my opinion, maybe that's why most iPhones have protective casings. iOS is mature but not efficient, I think it was not built for multi-tasking, heck even the SMS program is sh#t because it does not display the date/time entries on all SMS. It may not be important to some but it is to me and others. Its also hard to forward SMS messages as your only option is to copy it and paste it. Mail app is not good also. Applications are really better than others, Android apps are just bloat ware and mostly redundant copies of existing apps (meaning they have same functions, its like app A does ABC and app Z does also ABC. The live tiles work well for me the static and continuously swiping to the right is sometimes cumbersome. Battery life sucks too in my iPhone 4S. I charge it overnight and around mid-day its almost empty. They say I have to disable 3G but how the heck do I suppose to receive emails outside if I disable it. Lumia 800's display (ClearBlack) is better than iPhone 4S in my opinion. I'm really leaning on buying the Lumia 620 but its not yet available. Again, I think availability is what's dragging Windows Phone. Their distribution is a pain and most of the time when you want it its not available which is really frustrating. I think the OS will mature and it is a real contender and not just a pretender.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
For every 'standard person': If you buy an iPhone you'll have all the apps and all the features you can wish for, and you can also be sure, that every IT department will support you.

I often recommend the iPhone 5 because the person asking will never have a problem with this device, even though I don't like Apple at all. I don't want to explain why a Windows Phone device doesn't have Instagram, and a better Whatsapp, and VPN and so on, and so on. (Of course I will tell them better to buy Windows Phone, but being aware of the limitations.)

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The thing I miss from my iphone, apart from the apps is being able to update iOSas soon as its released, I've still not had Portico come to my unlocked phone, and I've no idea what updates I may or may not get in the future.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to help with an opinion because I have a Lumia 900, a Lumia 920, my gf had a iPhone 4and now have a 8x. But I'm Norwegian, and my English ain't perfect so I didn't fully understand what you're looking for advice on :)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans