How come Windows Phone didn't get the popularity BBZ10 is getting?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The buzz is simply because BB was all but pronounced dead. Its up again and they are spending money to advertize it. Admittedly, it doesn't look all that shabby as compared what you might see from Android but it is what it is. Besides, BB was before IOS. Many owned one so it has a built in following. Beyond that, maybe you live in a rural town where ad buys are just scarce. I see wp ads all over Las Vegas and on TV.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I would say WP8 at the moment is more popular, we recently took 3rd place and WP8 sales and devices are exponentially higher than WP7.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
the ads they have been presenting are boring and need better presentation, like the previous ads that show the phone being useful like the ones on the windows phone site.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
IMO Blackberry has been in the media a lot over the last year with all the doom and gloom articles... Another thing is Blackberry has one sole market to focus on vs MS launching windows8, windows phone 8,new office, getting into the hardware game etc (part of the reason I think MS hasn't been overly focused on WP8). also RIM was once the dominate king of the mobile market that took a fast free fall.

BB10 is absolutely plastered everywhere I went this week BUT like Blackberry I'm also canadian eh

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
In UK, perhaps, but worldwide BB ne'er was the king. Also reasoning "Because they've been in doom & gloom articles" isn't really that sound, since that same has affected Nokia just as much, or even more so. Admittedly, BB has sizable fanbase still to fall back on.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Lots of old BlackBerry users that are excited about getting an upgrade, maybe.

And RIM is no more, just FYI to the person that called them that. It's BlackBerry now.
FYI, I would like to call the OS BlackBerry, and the company Research In Motion. Those names just carry a lot of meaning for me. Especially Research In Motion. It just sounds cooler, for me.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
FYI, I would like to call the OS BlackBerry, and the company Research In Motion. Those names just carry a lot of meaning for me. Especially Research In Motion. It just sounds cooler, for me.
Blackberry Z10 by Research In Motion vs Blackberry Z10 by Blackberry. Damn right RIM sounds better (except when people made all the rim job jokes I guess)

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
In Sweden I have seen one BB user (2007) ever and I have never seen an ad for it or any mentioning of it on TV or in any papers or magazines that wasnt tech related...ever.
A lot of people here believes that BB is some sort of sms-system that doesn't work in Europe.
But WP8 is getting some attention on billboards and in phone adds.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's not true. Samsung and Apple are not Canadian companies, so that doesn't make a diff. Also, BB10 is making news worldwide, not just Canada.

I agree with you. The notion that large corporations behave as though they were patriotic nationals is very outdated. Companies like MSFT and BBRY spend their marketing budgets based on expected ROI, not based on sentimental ties to geopolitical boarders. For BB10, that amounts to marketing them where Blackberrys are already popular AND consumers have the incomes to afford such expensive hardware... those two criteria leave Canada as one of very few 1st world economies worth spending marketing dollars in. That explains what you are seeing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Canada and I really don't see too much buzz around BB10 or the Z10 this week compared to the week they launched.

With less than 2 billion in cash on hand, BBRY doesn't have the cash to sustain carpet marketing efforts for too long either. BBRY's entire cash reserves amounts to Microsoft's W8 and WP8 world wide marketing budget, and even that didn't get MS noticed everywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb