i5 3rd Gen 3330 2.7Ghz

4 GB RAM

1 GB NVIDIA 610 Graphic Card

OR

Lenovo B 340

i3 3rd Gen

1 GB NVIDIA 615 Graphic Card

1 TB HDD

I have highlighted the USP of each. I am tied between the two. Both cost nearly the same. And perform also the same.

But the reason I am considering HP i5 + 1 GB NVIDIA.

I wanted to know if any one has any experience with either brands, good or bad. It could help me make my decision.

I am hearing mixed reviews for HP but Lenovo has only good reviews.

Thanks. :grin:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Does the second one only have 4gigs of ram? 4gigs is the bare minimum nowdays. Also does one have a touch screen?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Does the second one only have 4gigs of ram? 4gigs is the bare minimum nowdays. Also does one have a touch screen?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Sorry my bad...

Yes the other one is 4GB and a non-touch screen...

Sent from my DROID RaZr on JB.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely suggest a touchscreen for Windows 8.

I have a laptop from HP that is 4 years old, and it's never had any problems. My only concern with HP now is the current state of the company. I'm not sure what direction it is going, or if it will even continue selling PCs. Lenovo's financials are in great shape, unlike HP's.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Are they at a local store where you can play with them both?

The last HP I bought was about 5 or 6 years ago now. It has survived XP, Vista, and now Windows 7. The system was $1,200 and proved to be very stable and sturdy. But that was an HP of a half decade ago. On the other hand, Lenovo has been rock solid, making record profits and churning out quality products.

I can't really say either choice is wrong, especially without some sort of official benchmark comparison tests. If it was me I would probably choose the extra horse power of the HP unless the durability was suspect and then I would get the Lenovo.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Corey. I'm laptop hunting myself (see my optical drive thread here). Will be my first ever - always been desktop. Initially, touchscreen laptops sounded totally daft to me. That was until I tried some in the stores. Awesome. I'm not saying you'd use touch for everything. Touchpad and pointing still has it's place, but touchscreen is just so easy. It's more natural than you might first think. I'll be honest, I've not looked up the specs of your two machines. If they're both touch, flip a coin. If only one is, go with that. If neither is, look again. The only downside is that as far as I can see (here in the UK) touchscreen seems to add the best part of ?200/$300 to a laptop. That's a hike. But if you want the best out of Win8 regard it as an investment.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions. But these are not laptops but desktop AIOs.

My old desktop is aging and is so messy its not funny. Plus, we sleep right next to the wires and there is a mountain of dust there. Am afraid will affect our health. Thus, AIO is the best bet. Laptops are always a no-no for me. They are bulky, heavy and very uncomfortable.
"Should I keep it on my lap?" Oh no its too heavy. "Should I keep it on the desk?" oh wait..its a laptop...
And plus both dad and me have iPads, so no point of having a laptop.
Now coming to touch. I've researched a lot on this too. Believe me, every single person buying a touch desktop has regretted. Desktop & touch never go well together. It becomes very difficult to operate and not to mention, ur arm will hate u for that rest of ur life. :p
Plus the cost. If I have to go for a touch, I will have to compromise on hardware/specs.
Which, I think is more important. But does that mean I've accepted defeat?
**** NO!
I'm buying a Logitech track pad T650.

It is just plain brilliant... :)
Thanks again..

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The other option is build your own desktop to the spec you want. Youll probably save $300-$400 on what both HP and Lenovo will charge for a spec thats not as good. Then buy yourself a touchscreen monitor, and hey presto - youve spent the same amount as you would have but will have a custom machine with a spec much better than either OEM

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd go Lenovo. I have only had one, but it took a beating and kept on ticking. Drop after drop and spill after spill (it was my college computer), and that thing didn't miss a beat. Also, it was a Vista machine and I knew several others with Leonovo computers running Vista, and we were about the only people in the world who didn't have issues with Vista. I have also had several HPs and have hated every last one of them (including my current one). Terrible trackpads and poor longevity have been my experiences with every HP I've owned.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with Lenovo. You'd probably be fine with either, but I really like Lenovo's laptops, so I figure their AIOs should be pretty good.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Lenovo!
I've had a bunch of hand me down laptops (dell and toshiba...both broke within two years or less)
Both my cousin and my brother bought HP laptops and within a year it was just accumulating dust coz it couldnt run anything without taking half an hour
I finally got an Thinkpad (hand me down as well) and it was rock solid
Now im using a Lenovo Ideapad U400 (kinda low end but good enough for college), have had it for half a year and its still giving me 4+ hours of usage as if it just came out of the box

Might be a tad different for desktop, still recommend Lenovo

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all u guys. It seems Lenovo is like a unanimous choice. Hmm..the specs of HP are too jarring to overlook.
Kinda makes me Wonder what to do... Also, I haven't heard a lot of great reviews about HP here in India too...hmm..thanks everyone...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Desktop & touch never go well together
I'm buying a Logitech track pad T650.

Hey old friend!

I want to point out, that those two statements seem to be contradictory. After all, by using the track pad, you will end up providing touch input to your desktop. Right?

So, it's not touch input per se that is problematic, but desktop monitors supporting touch which are ridiculous (requires gorilla arms). ;-)

I also want to point out something I feel many are missing. On desktops and laptops, whether you need or don't need touch input support, depends solely on the software you intend to use. Nothing else!

If you intend to use any metro apps at all, then you need touch. If not, then you don't need touch, as W8 can be used just like W7, in which case you can also save yourself some money, as you won't need that track pad. Those who want the traditional laptop/desktop experience need to do the following:
a) configure IE10 to always open on the desktop
b) download desktop versions of software MS provides only metro based versions for (like a PDF reader).
c) ensure all your file types are associated with desktop software, not metro apps.

After doing so, you will never flop back into metro mode, except when visiting the start screen, which is really nothing but a big start menu, and is also easily configured with a mouse and keyboard. Easy.

IMHO, supporting touch based input on desktops is a fad that will disapear when the novelty wears off. I I think the vote is still outstanding on how the laptop market will develop. However, where touch+mouse/keyboard really shines is with convertables, like the HP envy X2 or the Lenovo Lynx. Such devices is what W8 is intended to facilitate. That is where MS is headed.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey old friend!

I want to point out, that those two statements seem to be contradictory. After all, by using the track pad, you will end up providing touch input to your desktop. Right?

So, it's not touch input per se that is problematic, but desktop monitors supporting touch which are ridiculous (requires gorilla arms). ;-)

I also want to point out something I feel many are missing. On desktops and laptops, whether you need or don't need touch input support, depends solely on the software you intend to use. Nothing else!

If you intend to use any metro apps at all, then you need touch. If not, then you don't need touch, as W8 can be used just like W7, in which case you can also save yourself some money, as you won't need that track pad. Those who want the traditional laptop/desktop experience need to do the following:
a) configure IE10 to always open on the desktop
b) download desktop versions of software MS provides only metro based versions for (like a PDF reader).
c) ensure all your file types are associated with desktop software, not metro apps.

After doing so, you will never flop back into metro mode, except when visiting the start screen, which is really nothing but a big start menu, and is also easily configured with a mouse and keyboard. Easy.

IMHO, supporting touch based input on desktops is a fad that will disapear when the novelty wears off. I I think the vote is still outstanding on how the laptop market will develop. However, where touch+mouse/keyboard really shines is with convertables, like the HP envy X2 or the Lenovo Lynx. Such devices is what W8 is intended to facilitate. That is where MS is headed.

Hey a5cent....how are u doing?

Yes I buy your point completely... W8 is meant to be used with touch. But like I mentioned, I won't be using it alone. My father and wife too will be using it.
I may be using ONLY metro, but they might not use it At all.. :) so let's see.. However right now my conflict is brands.. HP or Lenovo? Thanks for your reply.. :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I like HP because their designs seem fresh and they are very reliable computers, even though everyone uses close to all the same parts. Lenovo charges alot for their products. HP is more price friendly too.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is the deal:

HP Pavillion 23 -b026in

i5 3rd Gen 3330 2.7Ghz

4 GB RAM

1 GB NVIDIA 610 Graphic Card

OR

Lenovo B 340

i3 3rd Gen

1 GB NVIDIA 615 Graphic Card

1 TB HDD

I have highlighted the USP of each. I am tied between the two. Both cost nearly the same. And perform also the same.

But the reason I am considering HP i5 + 1 GB NVIDIA.

I wanted to know if any one has any experience with either brands, good or bad. It could help me make my decision.

I am hearing mixed reviews for HP but Lenovo has only good reviews.

Thanks. :grin:

If anything its HPs laptops from yester year. Their laptops now are very good.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I like HP because their designs seem fresh and they are very reliable computers, even though everyone uses close to all the same parts. Lenovo charges alot for their products. HP is more price friendly too.

Lenovo's business products are expensive; however, their consumer line of products are actually competitively priced and they often have sales on certain products on their website where you can get some really good savings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb