Writers Complaining about WP Fans

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I read this article at Pocketnow.
Actually, there were two reasons behind this:
1. I'm a fan of Windows Phone.
2. There were 187 comments.

Yes, I know that you may have seen this already, but he does have a point. And, that's proven by the 2400 comment thread at The Verge for its Lumia 900 review.

But, here's a counterargument.
Biased tech writers.

Yes?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sure, a lot of tech blogs nowadays have biased articles about anything MS for some reason. But his point is also correct, there are some fanboys that do contribute to flame wars greatly and are unreasonable. Neither should be free from blame.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sure, a lot of tech blogs nowadays have biased articles about anything MS for some reason. But his point is also correct, there are some fanboys that do contribute to flame wars greatly and are unreasonable. Neither should be free from blame.
Those fanboys are called Blind Tech Fanboys. Sure. Any OS (or company) isn't free from them. Be it iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry or the Symbian-MeeGo-Sailfish fanboys that have a never say die attitude (these people herd behind Tomi Ahonen).
But, this is more of people defending something rather than blind fanboys throwing mud all over the place.

Read the comments. That is all I ask of you.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Those fanboys are called Blind Tech Fanboys. Sure. Any OS (or company) isn't free from them. Be it iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry or the Symbian-MeeGo-Sailfish fanboys that have a never say die attitude (these people herd behind Tomi Ahonen).
But, this is more of people defending something rather than blind fanboys throwing mud all over the place.

Read the comments. That is all I ask of you.

I already knew that these commenters were just defending Windows Phone! I was just pointing out that some people are those kind of Blind Tech Fanboys attached to MS.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
That was such a poor article attempting to paint all MS fans with the same brush in an attempt to generate more page views.

It's no secret that MS products get trashed on tech sites mainly because a lot of writers seem to still hold some kind of grudge against MS. I don't see as many negative articles for Apple, Google, or BB products as I do for MS products. Of course the larger proportion of negative MS articles will lead to a larger number of angry comments.

Also, these articles tend to be loaded with trolling comments from fans of other ecosystems. Usually with the same lame "blue screen", M$, "no market share", etc comments that egg on WP fans. Just look at the comments in the pocketnow piece and look at how many are made from non-MS fans derailing the comments.

I remember back when Android was still lagging behind iOS in terms of market share, sites like giz, engadget and the rest would write negative articles about Android which would lead to thousands of angry comments from Android fans (including myself). Once Android became a legit threat they backed off the negative articles and decided to write crap pieces about other products such as WP. These sites know how to generate page views and by publishing crap that they know will piss people off they will get their views.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
There is an obvious grudge present against Ms for some reason. I have actually noticed myself becoming dumbed down using WP though I will admit, everything either is integrated or just works, I don't go into fits of rage because I have to reload my device anymore.
I had many wm, palmos, ios, WEBOS, androids, wp7 and now rocking a 920, I have zero complaints. For day to day usage WP is the fastest easiest to use I think. There are things I do wish would come to WP(Bt keyboard, vpn) or change, but none are important enough for me to bother with hacking anymore.
I think most of the rage from the "fan boys" is primarily focused on the poor knowledge of the reviews we are reading, "doesn't have this, doesn't do that" when in fact it does by a third party app that is better to use than natives on other platforms... My 2 cents

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The sad thing about this now is that anyone can write a hit piece on WP and if fans react in a way to defend WP people will just link to this stupid article and say that we're all overreacting as always.

HappyPalm

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think WP fans stick up for the phone, because it's in the minority, it's a great phone, and it needs to be stuck up for so it continues on. iOs and Anroid don't need the same support, as they're doing just fine. Surely the writers get this? As Squire777 said, Android fans used to be the same way, and it makes sense.

Toyotat165,
You say your phone has dumbed you down some? I'm really confused by this. Ha! Is it because it's so easy to use, and so there's less to deal with and learn? I know if I were using iOs or Android, I'd have a lot more to learn.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes it has dumbed me down. It just works. I sit with my friends for coffee and we talk and show each other stuff from each others phones, and feel sad for them hitting their phones as if that will fix the lag... Or listen to them ***** about "I did download the damn app but I can't do 'blank' from the app, and the site just tells me to download the app, can I borrow your phone?"
People at work going what is this thing doing, how do you do this? Well I just hit this or that, its all integrated into the os.. Yes operating system.... No you have to go to the app then you can do 'blank'.... Yes I know this makes more sense.... And its not designed specifically for a south paw. ...
I gave my wife a Samsung focus flash when they launched, last month her work gave her a brand new iPad 4g.... And she hates the iPad, prefers the touchpad. Wants a surface pro.... As do I lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss