Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By a5cent
  • 4 Post By Dave Blake
  • 5 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe
  • 1 Post By gedzum
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    What are people expecting to see here at MWC'13?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Nokia will announce two new Lumia smartphones:

Lumia 520
    Lumia 720

I'm certain about those two. Both look similar to the 820 but are somewhat thinner.

They might also announce one or two high end Lumia's, but I think they won't. They will likely announce them a bit after MWC.

I expect Nokia to also announce "Nokia Play" for WP8. Possibly also a new version of Nokia Drive... if not at MWC then shortly thereafter.

Many here know what my take is on Microsoft's standardized platform strategy, meaning they won't announce a new hardware chassis spec.

HTC won't have anything WP related to announce. They will be focusing entirely on the HTC One.

Microsoft too is unlikely to have anything interesting to report.

edit: almost forgot... Intel is expected to demo their Merrifield 22nm phone SoC
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-23-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: see edit
    tissotti likes this.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I expect to see a high end Lumia with a high MP camera 41 maybe large high resolution screen and its going to Verizon. You heard it here first!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    I expect to see a high end Lumia with a high MP camera 41 maybe large high resolution screen and its going to Verizon. You heard it here first!
    9'000'000MPixel camera, 5" display with 999'999'999PPI, 200 million year battery life, PureView Mk2 technologies in it too, 512TB storage space, all for 500. You heard it here first!

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

I come to not expect much on the high end my feelings now is WP8 will be a low to middle end OS....I think we will see some very awesome high end Android devices and a couple of low to middle WP8 devices with the famous saying coming soon. sorry it's how i'm starting to feel about WP.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I'm going to disagree with Boss Man Blake and say there will be a high end Lumia going to Verizon. But the Lumia with the killer camera is going to AT&T.

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Microsoft Surface Phone shown? 😎
    ATIV S is LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    I'm going to disagree with Boss Man Blake and say there will be a high end Lumia going to Verizon. But the Lumia with the killer camera is going to AT&T.
    I agree stmav. Verizon will get something other than the EOS (likely something very similar to the 920). I think the EOS is going to be the first Lumia that isn't a U.S. carrier exclusive. It will ship to every U.S. carrier that wants it, but it will end up costing around $200 on contract (due to carriers not subsidizing it to the same degree as they otherwise would).

Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    Microsoft Surface Phone shown?
    I said it when the rumour first hit the forums and I'll say it again: not gonna happen.
    Well after Nokia music did the Harlem shake, I'm half expecting Stephen Elop to give it a go with Steve Ballmer coming in typical fashion to join in.

On a serious note, I'm curious to see how this EOS device is going to turn out.
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Lumia 520, Lumia 720 and 2-3 Asha devices for MWC. No updates coming from Microsoft for Windows Phone in MWC=no new high end hardware.

EOS will be a Q4 thing, RM-680 will be out before summer for Verizon and Catwalk will be announced in couple of months.
    Last edited by tissotti; 02-23-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I agree pretty much with this:

MWC 2013 preview: what we can expect

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    I sure hope so. Not betting on it though. Verizon has always been super secretive and to me, that drives off customers who are waiting to hear about a potential phone. A high end Lumia is something I WILL leave Verizon for if they don't get it.

We've waited long enough damnit!!

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    They will report 8.1 which fixes xbox music/video, and that damnable screen dimming issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Mushroom View Post
    They will report 8.1 which fixes xbox music/video, and that damnable screen dimming issue.
    Is this true? I think Microsoft doesn't even have an official presence at MWC. If this is true, I would be very happy
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    Is this true? I think Microsoft doesn't even have an official presence at MWC. If this is true, I would be very happy
    Microsoft has a booth at MWC, but isn't holding any press conferences, which means they are unlikely to announce anything.

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    I want to see 4k screen with 3D, a projector which is 1080p, have holograms shooting out from the device and be able to make me a cup of tea and do all my house work I'm not asking for much
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    It looks like my prediction (post #2), which I made before the 520 and 720 renders started to leak, are spot on. Even the bit about Nokia Play. Yay for me!

I expect the Microsoft Windows 8 gang to not make it to MWC, as they kept crashing on the way.....just like their phones!

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal View Post
    I expect the Microsoft Windows 8 gang to not make it to MWC, as they kept crashing on the way.....just like their phones!
    This is bad news for all of us! Nothing till "Blue" 😒
    ATIV S is LIFE
    I figured that we might get a release date for a Sprint WP8.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal View Post
    Ok just for the record, my phone does not keep crashing. And that's the case for both my HTC TITAN and my Nokia Lumia 920. However I did have to laugh at the reference you made. A better reference could have been Vista on cack hardware

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    MWC is now finished. This thread no longer served a purpose. Closed.