Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By link68759
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek
  • 1 Post By electriclamb
  • 1 Post By Luminatic
  • 1 Post By romant56
  • 1 Post By BPuk
  • 1 Post By Coreldan
  • 1 Post By Laura Knotek

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I only have 3 open Google services left: Gmail, Reader and YouTube. With the recent news of Reader being shutdown, I decided that its time to purge the rest. So last night I closed my YouTube account. And as soon as NextGenReader implements an alternative to Google Reader, I will kill off my Gmail account as well, because that is what I am currently using to log in with but is not used as an email. I will probably keep my Google open, but idle, in case YouTube proves to be a hassle to use without an account. Anyone else trying to become Google free?
    Last edited by ninjaap; 03-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    All free except for YouTube and Gmail. Will be awhile before I shut down Gmail though as I have had the account for a long long time and its tied to everything. I have it forwarding to outlook.com though.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Anyone else trying to become Google free?
    Been that way for a while now, never really looked back. Have left my account open just in case but haven't found the need to log in for ages.
    Lumia 930 | Surface Pro 3 |
    Thanked by:

I don't believe that we can truely become free of Google specially with Youtube.

I still have my gmail just for youtube and google voice and that's it.
    Thanked by:

Deleted my google account a year ago, and I used to be really enthusiastic about using ALL google services.

I use Bing; image and video search is better, regular search works for me, can't say it's better or worse. Loving the Bing rewards.

There's no real alternative for google voice, but i initially got that so I could just have data and not pay for texts with ATT. Evil bastards don't let you micromanage like that anymore. I do miss seamless integration of pc/phone texting (can send a text on pc with a keyboard) but Skype lets me do that... For a price.

There's currently no worthwhile alternative to Reader but that'll change.

All in all the switch is pretty painless. Changing emails isn't as bad as you might think; you don't need to change every site all in one go. Do it next time you visit that site.

I have friends I haven't heard from since deleting gtalk (heh) because they refuse to use IRC, which is the only thing I use these days. IRC with server side channel history and an offline message service bot is pretty objectively better than any chat client. Only takes one geek to set it up for everyone so you can't really argue that it's not user friendly ;)
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    romant56 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I signed up for News Blur, because it looks like that is what NextGen is going to. Once they add News Blur, its goooodbye Goooogle.

Global Posts
    32,300 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I deleted my Google account at the end of January 2013. I didn't miss anything, since I only watch YouTube but never upload anything, so there is no need to sign in. I've already handled my RSS feeds via Weave for Windows Phone. Outlook is better than Gmail, since there is no "all mail" hassle with EAS.
    Thanked by:
    romant56 likes this.

the worst thing that ever happened was google buying youtube. at least for anyone thats not a fan of google. It was genius on their part though. I hope that someday another video service can rival them but it seems far off considering youtube is a household name.

The only reason i have to sign into youtube is if im watching over 18 stuff like the Evil Dead red band trailer for example.
    ninjaap likes this.

I'm working on it. I've deleted my google account which was no issue. Getting rid of the google search functionality us the hardest part. (before you ask: no, in my country, Bing is not always an alternative.)
    Happy WP user :P
    ninjaap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminatic View Post
    I'm working on it. I've deleted my google account which was no issue. Getting rid of the google search functionality us the hardest part. (before you ask: no, in my country, Bing is not always an alternative.)
    Ixquick

I deleted my entire google account through the account settings a month or so ago. It feels really good not having anything to do with them anymore.

A few years ago I was using google search, chrome, and had an Android phone. Now Microsoft has caught up on all those fronts and I don't miss google at all.

I did click a link that had an "adult content" youtube video in it that I couldn't watch since I couldn't sign in, but I'll take a minor problem like that. (I should probably be making better use of my time anyway!)
    ninjaap likes this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I deleted my Google account at the end of January 2013. I didn't miss anything, since I only watch YouTube but never upload anything, so there is no need to sign in. I've already handled my RSS feeds via Weave for Windows Phone. Outlook is better than Gmail, since there is no "all mail" hassle with EAS.
    Weave looks good! But I don't like how I can't separate my feeds when reading them. For example, reading or scrolling through WPCentral articles only, then move to Engadget.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    My wife and I have been using an account for years only to share a calendar on multiple devices (and any computer). Tons of recurring and one-off events. That would be the biggest challenge. I know I can switch to something else with some effort, but I'm not sure it's worth the backlash from her, as she just wants to be productive rather than dealing with changing stuff that ain't broke. Case in point: when I "upgraded" her PC to Windows 8

I can never be Google free. I have gotten rid of all Google services but I need Gmail to take in all my SPAM mails.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqrooster View Post
    I can never be Google free. I have gotten rid of all Google services but I need Gmail to take in all my SPAM mails.
    LOL That's what I use Yahoo! and COX accounts for.

Quote Originally Posted by link68759 View Post
    Ixquick
    WTF? Blocked in my office. Will try from home.
    Happy WP user :P

Global Posts
    4,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    If you really hate Google, you're better off using Youtube with Adblock.

And, to really come up with a proverbial slap to the face, buy a Microsoft mouse and keyboard :) (They really do make mice and keyboards)

Cast the Google devil out! lol

I closed all google services at the end of Dec 2012 and don't use them at all now. The trueswitch site is awesome! Moved everything seamlessly:

https://secure5.trueswitch.com/hotmail/
    ninjaap likes this.

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    I switched to pretty as much as much Microsoft as possible with the Lumia 920. That said, I still use YouTube and since I upload to several channels regularly, I won't even try to get rid of that. No reason to really either.
    forked likes this.

Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    My wife and I have been using an account for years only to share a calendar on multiple devices (and any computer). Tons of recurring and one-off events. That would be the biggest challenge. I know I can switch to something else with some effort, but I'm not sure it's worth the backlash from her, as she just wants to be productive rather than dealing with changing stuff that ain't broke. Case in point: when I "upgraded" her PC to Windows 8
    Same here. My wife and I use Google Calendar heavily. It took me a long time to get her to even begin using Google Calendar and I doubt I could get her to move to another service without some extreme pressure.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    32,300 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Weave looks good! But I don't like how I can't separate my feeds when reading them. For example, reading or scrolling through WPCentral articles only, then move to Engadget.
    I'd suggest contacting the developer. He really is good in terms of support.
    ninjaap likes this.

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts
    All I have is a gmail. I dont use an account for youtube. #dontwanttobetracked

I still have a gmail account and use G+ to keep in contact with my trucker friends as a lot of them use it these days (we can see where each of us is on google maps using latitude). Sadly, there simply isn't a good non-google alternative for the G+/Latitude stuff, although I really wish there was.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    This thread has kinda inspired me. Today, I deleted all Picasa albums and my entire Play Music library. I started downloading my YouTube videos in preparation for a move to Vimeo or something. After the 2nd video, I find out I can only download two of MY videos per hour. @#$%&! WTF?!!! Bunch 'o bvllsh|t!!

While I'm waiting for that, I'm moving stuff on Google Drive to Box.