whats your bike? what accessories do you have?

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
An older photo, but 2013 Orbea Occam 29er...full XTR, RockShox Sid fork, Mavic SLR rims, Maxxis Ikons tires.

WP_20121110_017.jpg

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Your bike is another I've not heard of sadly :(.
That's because (at best) you could call it a low mid-end, compared to bikes shown here, by other people. Bought it 3 years ago, but it never failed me, even on my longest rides - i'm sentimental about it ;).
Wife wants me to get a helmet, but I just haven't felt the need. IDK, I grew up in a time when no one ever wore helmets on bikes. I don't ride off road, mainly on paved trails, in fact, I'm about to close on a house that is right next to one of the bike trails here in SA, TX...

So I guess, who wears helmets and who doesn't?

I do wear a helmet and to be honest i grew up in those times too. I never thought about one until year ago. I was riding with my friends and one of them tried to pull of a simple drop from a small ledge (about half a meter high). Something went wrong and he ended up on the ground with a broken arm, unconcious and with brain concussion. I know it might sound really amateur, but he knows how to ride a bike. That was the moment i decided to buy myself a helmet :p

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's because (at best) you could call it a low mid-end, compared to bikes shown here, by other people. Bought it 3 years ago, but it never failed me, even on my longest rides - i'm sentimental about it ;).

I do wear a helmet and to be honest i grew up in those times too. I never thought about one until year ago. I was riding with my friends and one of them tried to pull of a simple drop from a small ledge (about half a meter high). Something went wrong and he ended up on the ground with a broken arm, unconcious and with brain concussion. I know it might sound really amateur, but he knows how to ride a bike. That was the moment i decided to buy myself a helmet :p
my first bike that I can remember getting when I was a kid was like a 60lb magna bike from toys r us. It was a blue mountain bike. But man was it heavy and that's pretty much what I remember. That and it was big for me then lol.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Great topic OP, as I starting to really get into biking.

I originally had a target schwinn ranger and my girlfriend... For my bike I had inexpensive bell head and tail lights, storage rack, under seat bag with tools and spare tube, and a mini air pump on the frame. Unfortunately both bikes were stolen late last year...

In February, I replaced my bike with a Trek FX 7.3 and her bike with a Trek Verve 1.

My new accessories are a nite rider 350 head light nite rider Cyclops 2 watt tail light, small triangle frame bag/pouch that holds a spare tube, presta adaptor, and tools, a Mini air pump with Co2 cartridges, lastly I have this cell phone pouch that I put on the handlebars. That is one of the coolest so I can use my cellphone to track data.

I have not put a rack on the bike because I just carry a backpack... My surface, a small jacket, or accessories usually come along fie the ride. I have a basic light targus backpack and in have a ful sling shoulder bag with an internal battery for my phone.

I'm so dog gone happy! Just did 25 mile distance ride cs doing that amount of miles on a circular trail. It was much harder, but my gears were able to make all of the hills. I am buying a camel back today 😊.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, of course a helmet, reflective vest, and knife... People will run you over, try to rob/jack your bike, or both, lol.

lol, never thought of that, although my Trek isn't high end.. ~$500... I didn't want to spend a lot and it's for exercise, so I wasn't necessarily worried about weight.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine was a little over $600, but the lights and other accessories make the total bike cost (not necessarily worth) over $900.

I never thought anyone would steal my sub $200 bike, but they did... Plus all the accessories.

After that experience and doing research, thieves just don't care... An opportunity to sell your stuff waaaaayyyyy below cost is all that is needed. Bike thefts and jacking are going up. Quick money and low pressure from the police.

I carry my knife because when I commute to work... Though there are others on bicycles, I am one of the only one with a helmet, other safety gear, backpack, and on my way to work, lol! I'm an instant mark!

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Two bikes
A haro sonix for mtb with only the original frame everything else in the bike was changed during the years.
A small 20'' for commute.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Great topic OP, as I starting to really get into biking.

I originally had a target schwinn ranger and my girlfriend... For my bike I had inexpensive bell head and tail lights, storage rack, under seat bag with tools and spare tube, and a mini air pump on the frame. Unfortunately both bikes were stolen late last year...

In February, I replaced my bike with a Trek FX 7.3 and her bike with a Trek Verve 1.

My new accessories are a nite rider 350 head light nite rider Cyclops 2 watt tail light, small triangle frame bag/pouch that holds a spare tube, presta adaptor, and tools, a Mini air pump with Co2 cartridges, lastly I have this cell phone pouch that I put on the handlebars. That is one of the coolest so I can use my cellphone to track data.

I have not put a rack on the bike because I just carry a backpack... My surface, a small jacket, or accessories usually come along fie the ride. I have a basic light targus backpack and in have a ful sling shoulder bag with an internal battery for my phone.

I'm so dog gone happy! Just did 25 mile distance ride cs doing that amount of miles on a circular trail. It was much harder, but my gears were able to make all of the hills. I am buying a camel back today .

yea I started this thread because well I just got a new very capable bike that I know of lol. But I'd like to know what other people ride and what accessories they find they need for their way of riding. Maybe something will be mentioned that I haven't thought of. I've looked at getting a good bike for a long time but I just could never afford one. So I've gotten really lucky lately but I'm so enjoying my new ride. I just got back from trail riding at a awesome park place near charlotte NC. I must say my muscles are worn!!!!! Lol. But I find it extremely fun. So yes its nice to hear from others on this topic and what they do and have.

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I wear the Helmet in mtb and I believe that is stupid not wear one in those kind of rides.
Another things that I personally carry are:
my L920, have to find a decent case.
Swiss knife
Spare tube and pump
Tools
All these go in my camelback.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wear the Helmet in mtb and I believe that is stupid not wear one in those kind of rides.
Swiss knife
Spare tube and pump
Tools
I have the black incipio dual pro on my l920. Durable and nice looking. Not really heavy and not much bulk added. I need to get spare tire stuff and tools yet in case something was to happen while I'm out. What kind of pump do you have?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's my 2009 Jamis XCT 2.0. I upgraded the fork to an X-Fusion Velvet RL2, the front wheel was replaced as my grandmother ran over the original (and somehow spared the bike, whew), and I recently put Kenda Excavator 2.35" tires on it and saved two pounds over the original wire bead Nevegals.

P1010167-1.jpg

P1010169.jpg

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my 2009 Jamis XCT 2.0. I upgraded the fork to an X-Fusion Velvet RL2, the front wheel was replaced as my grandmother ran over the original (and somehow spared the bike, whew), and I recently put Kenda Excavator 2.35" tires on it and saved two pounds over the original wire bead Nevegals.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/rcmaster1029/Jamis XCT 2 Mountain Bike/P1010167-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/rcmaster1029/Jamis XCT 2 Mountain Bike/P1010169.jpg

Sharpe bike. I originally set to look for a Jamis bike but I could not find any dealers �� but that's ok cause I really like the one I got my Fuji ��

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Swiss knife
Spare tube and pump
Tools

My wife got her Camelback before I did and I jokingly refer to it as her cameltoe.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up a Lizard Skins neoprene chainstay for my bike. Its the 29er model jumbo size. Fits really well. And adds a little flair lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo