The death spriral of HTC continues. Q1 2013 report.

lorax1284

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Shame, really. Just goes to show you that it's not "Android" that's making money for device manufacturers. It's "Samsung" that's making money, and they're probably the only Android vendor (maybe aside from ZTE or Huewei (sp) in China) that even has the corporate breadth to do it. You have to be totally self-reliant to make a go of it with Android, and as it is, most vendors have to get memory and screens and processors from others... Samsung is the only company that can do it all themselves, and will therefore probably be the only one who can be profitable on razor-thin margins.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
HTC should blame themselves for a lot of their woes. A few years back when they were starting to become popular they started to focus on releasing as many different phones as possible instead of releasing a few good phones. As a result they released some duds that really gave them a bad rep.

HTC is also terrible with supporting phones after release and many people who have had an HTC phone probably wouldn't want to go back to one.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC has to...drop Sense. As much as Iiked it, they're still in 2010 thinking that their overlay is the best way for Android. Stock Android is now getting to a point where OEM skins no longer enhance it. If they went with Sense as components and stock Android with unlocked bootloaders, they might sell well again.

As far as WP8, they just need to pick 2 good features and throw their R&D behind it to make it stand out. If they pushed music related and camera related apps and enhancements that were different but comparable to Nokia, they'd make a good case here. Its sad.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say a "death spiral" (come on... do you really hate them that much?) - they just temporarily hurt themselves by announcing HTC One too early and then delaying it for such long time... People were basically thinking "I shouldn't buy any other HTC phones right now since HTC One is coming and will be much better". As long as there won't be any shipping delays anymore and no major issues with this model - they should be able to recover from these financial results...

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I dont know many people that like HTC phones. The majority of them complain about lack of updates.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC is best of no worlds! It has been badly defeated by Samsung in Android space and by Nokia in Windows Phone space! I think Samsung and Nokia did well to establish themselves as numero uno in one of the available platforms but HTC failed badly in this department.They are unable to provide good aftersales support with firmware updates etc. for both Android and Windows Phone. They do not have exclusive apps like Nokia or Samsung! Why the hell will anyone be attracted to buy the HTC phone??? I owned 2 HTC phones namely, Radar and TITAN. TITAN even after being their flagship for Windows Phone was poorly supported. This made me regret over my decision and I made a switch to Nokia Lumia 920. Believe me, I am enjoying every bit of it now. With great support and exclusive apps I have never regretted my decision to stuck on with WP platform. This is the difference! HTC will surely go bankrupt with no clear cut strategy!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My fav WP7 phone was funny enough, the Mozart; the best device I used was the Focus S. I like the Mozart more because HTC does well with unibody designs and the phone had great potential. I was bitterly disappointed with the camera, its second best feature (loved the design). I have a soft spot for the Focus S because it just worked. All the features did as advertised. No potential was wasted.

HTC's problem is that the market is telling them that we'd rather have a boring design SGS 4, iphone 5, as long as we get good software features and support. A pig wearing a $600 dress will always be an insult to the dress.

It is sad though, because software support has never been HTC's strong suit, and Nokia and Samsung, and even Apple have really exposed this. High Tech Computer needs to remember that the masses want better software support. It is why they should hang their hats on design still AND audio support. Send out updates to tweak the camera constantly too. Send out updates tweaking the audio on the 8X and One (when launched). They've got good hardware out, but just improve software support.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
HTC has to...drop Sense. As much as Iiked it, they're still in 2010 thinking that their overlay is the best way for Android. Stock Android is now getting to a point where OEM skins no longer enhance it. If they went with Sense as components and stock Android with unlocked bootloaders, they might sell well again.

As far as WP8, they just need to pick 2 good features and throw their R&D behind it to make it stand out. If they pushed music related and camera related apps and enhancements that were different but comparable to Nokia, they'd make a good case here. Its sad.

That is sooo true concerning the WP8 (didn't own an Android HTC device).

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
(HTC has to...drop Sense. As much as Iiked it, they're still in 2010 thinking that their overlay is the best way for Android. Stock Android is now getting to a point where OEM skins no longer enhance it. If they went with Sense as components and stock Android with unlocked bootloaders, they might sell well again.)

(That is sooo true concerning the WP8 (didn't own an Android HTC device).

YES! the htc one is a fantastic looking device, i was a bit skeptical looking at photos online and when i went to the store i actually liked it. but sense just feels so froyo at this point. they keep all of their phones dated and that creates a problem for people who want a new look to things..

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Real problem is that HTC has a new flagship phone every three months.

Also phones like the HTC EVO 3D really left a sour taste with people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)