Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    This morning I read that Samsung is releasing the new Galaxy Mega, an Android powered 6.3" smartphone weighing a whopping 199 grams!

.....WHAT? So I'm asking you guys what you honestly think about this. Is this where phones are headed? Would you actually buy a phone so large (and heavy)?

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I certainly would not. This will go along gender lines. Ladies carry a purse so a bigger phone doesn't bother them. Most of us guys don't want our pockets jammed with stuff.

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    They said "The size makes it great to use with one hand and fit in your pocket"

You CANNOT use this with one hand. I've tried using a NOTE 2, with one hand. Nope! Couldn't do it. I doubt this will be easier.

Not sure what kind of jeans you guys wear but no way this is fitting into my skinny jeans.

Utterly ridiculous.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Samsung does not deserve to be the number 1 phone manufacturer in the world selling crap like this.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    A phone with a 4.5-4.7" screen is about as far as I want, or need to go.

I don't care for Samsung devices, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I am sure it will appeal to some folks, but they will look pretty stupid if they hold it up to their head and use it like a regular sized smartphone.
    Thanked by:
    metalchick719, GStr and Rndomuser like this.
    *facepalm*

Samsung is utterly ridiculous. I saw the Note II in person recently and pretty much laughed my *** off when I held it up to my ear. Next thing you know, they'll release a seven inch phone.

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    My lady has a Note 2 and loves it. She's 5'3, pretty tiny, with small hands.

You get accustomed to the size quickly.

Potentially we are slowly moving away from the telephone, and into video calls, (as much as many people dislike it) from this perspective it makes sense. It is rather silly putting up a huge Slab of phablet up against your skull.

One day, I will have a phone that is as big as me and it'll be cool and awesome and it'll be made by Samsung!
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Samsung must be having a hard time coming up with new ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    One day, I will have a phone that is as big as me and it'll be cool and awesome and it'll be made by Samsung!
    Reminded me of the show Trigger Happy TV.

Image for reference:
    040531083707_l.jpg

Global Posts
    4,760 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Think that's big?

Psion made phones (okay, pocket PCs) larger AND thicker than this!
    With slide-out keyboards!

In fact, allaboutsymbian has an article about how screen size creep is a myth, at least for top-of-the-line devices.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gedzum View Post
    reminded me of the show trigger happy tv.

Image for reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040531083707_l.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	32185
    lol!!!!

Global Posts
    6,509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    *facepalm*

Samsung is utterly ridiculous. I saw the Note II in person recently and pretty much laughed my *** off when I held it up to my ear. Next thing you know, they'll release a seven inch phone.
    Well, they kinda did already...their first 7" Galaxy Tab could make phones calls, at least the unlocked international version...Samsung is just trying to have a product in every conceivable market, just like how the IRS would like to tax every dollar made as income - legal or illegal.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Okay Samsung, show us the 9'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999'999" screen smartphone.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzum View Post
    Reminded me of the show Trigger Happy TV.

Image for reference:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040531083707_l.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	32185
    LOL!!!! Omg lol

Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Samsung must be having a hard time coming up with new ideas.
    Cause no other OEM has done anything innovative except Nokia so they can't copy.

Who said anything about Nokia or copying? All samsung is doing is releasing the same version of a product with different screen sizes. Great innovation there!

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Who said anything about Nokia or copying? All samsung is doing is releasing the same version of a product with different screen sizes. Great innovation there!
    Innovation like this are very rare to find now a days... Slowly they are becoming apple and apple becoming Samsung.. I don't know who is following who.

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichael75 View Post
    Innovation like this are very rare to find now a days... Slowly they are becoming apple and apple becoming Samsung.. I don't know who is following who.
    lol...Who came first the chicken or the egg...actually I think Apple was first (Apple computers, etc.) but you get the point. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    lol...Who came first the chicken or the egg...actually I think Apple was first (Apple computers, etc.) but you get the point. Lol!
    Nokia came before those two!!!
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    Nokia came before those two!!!
    Wow! The Nokia Company was founded in 1865, named in 1871, and became the Nokia Corporation in 1967. They began as 3 separate companies: a paper mill, rubber manufacturer, and producer of electrical cables. Its amazing how one vision can become a global part of history more than a century later. One can only hope that whoever manages Nokia keeps their long legacy alive for years to come...:)
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    looks like the game of inches will soon be over. Its approaching the point that phablets are the same size as tablets and now companies will have to battle more over quality and features as size is going to become irrelevant because they keep making them bigger...I bet theres some ***** out there that wants an 8.9" or 10.1" cellphone though :(

strike while the iron is hot! This is Samsung's motivation now. Well if it looks like the cheap Note 2 then... thank you I'll pass. What's next? 6.8"? somehow this is one bubble waiting to pop!

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    I completely forgot about starting this thread... well I'm just checking in to see if anyone's opinions changed about 6 inch devices. This was written before the 1520. My opinion has changed, because I think the 1520 is a beautiful device. Anything bigger is too big for me. Has anyone else changed their opinion?

Global Posts
    6,509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I completely forgot about starting this thread... well I'm just checking in to see if anyone's opinions changed about 6 inch devices. This was written before the 1520. My opinion has changed, because I think the 1520 is a beautiful device. Anything bigger is too big for me. Has anyone else changed their opinion?
    I own a Z Ultra, among other things. I won't go over anything bigger than that. I would have gotten a 1520 if it was cheaper than the Z Ultra I bought at the time. Right now I'm making the move to 2 5" devices...a N5 and a 930. My reason is that because I travel by mass transit a lot and even though it is convenient to use the SBH-52 headset, there are some things you need to pull the phone out and I hate doing so in public, and crowded places. Still, even though I'm adding those two phones to my stable my Z Ultra isn't going anywhere and is still one of the most fun on new I've ever owned.

Voice Commands Submitted via Moto X
    peacefulberry likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast