How often do you get a new phone?

BasketCase13

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Just curious. I'm attempting to justify buying a new phone :p

How often do you replace...and if you really feel like it phones have you gone through?

:)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I typically get a new one every 2 years when my contract ends. However, I have purchased a smartphone from a friend one time who was switching carriers and had a smartphone that was newer than the one I had at the time.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Usually when my contract is up. Last summer, I did buy a year old model Android from Amazon just to give the platform an honest try while waiting for WP8

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I have a business account with Verizon and they allow phone upgrades every year or 11 months. Also, I have lines I manage that I can use as an upgrade. (4G makes it easy!!) So, typically, about 8-9 months, or when a phone I want comes out. But, I could have used my Trophy for longer than 10 months, because it was a great phone. As long as WP8 can be upgraded, I can live with what I have now (8X).

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hang on, I'll check my stats. Okay, done it. About every nine years! No, seriously that's true (well I've only ever had two mobile phones). My second (Lumia 820) has brought me out of the dark ages, so I guess things will change. Like a previous poster, I buy my phones outright on SIM only contracts. So, as long as my phone does me, and I can still get upgrade support for it, I'll stick with it. The speed things are moving then, 12, 18 months, I suppose.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Good luck farukdgn ;) And have a lot of fun with your awesome 920! :)

Topic: I love it to use my devices/gadgets as long as possible. After years of usage I tend to get some kind of an "electronic relationship"... Don't know how to explain, but somehow there are three phases:
  1. the device is new and shiny! I love it! It's awesome to find out new features and functions
  2. the device is not really shiny any more. The first scratches are visible. It's just "ok" and a normal electronic device...nothing special
  3. the device is getting older and older. It has the "used look" and works well. Day after day I like it more and more... After a while it rocks again to have the same awesome device, but in a "used" version.
So yeah... that's how I use my gadgets in general... I had my Blackberry Curve for aboaut 1,5 years. It was a nice phone (I LOVE BB), but the quality of the device itself just sucked... so 1,5 years of usage it just had the "kill me!" look... so I sent it back to amazon (had a LOT of problems) and got my money back. After that I bought the HTC 7 Pro. That was 1 year and 8 months ago. Since then I use my 7 Pro for almost everything and just love it... It's in phase 3 now ;) I really hope to use it for at least 2 more years!

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Geebus...

I've had so many phones within the past year it's crazy... I'm part of another forum that's mainly for sell/trading and I was just on a spree.. I haven't had the same phone for over a month for the last 6 months... trading phones is addicting.

I stopped buying phones outright since I shelled out right when the first Nexus One was released.

Upgrade through carrier every 2 years.. in between that I trade or buy online with other fellow phone junkies

BasketCase13

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Haha interesting. See I'm still...young? So my phone habits have been a little all over the place. I had my first phone for a year and a bit...it swiftly died at the bottom of my school bag from water leakage. Next one I had for like 4 and a half years (flip phones ftw). Now I've got an iPhone that I've used since the beginning of last year. So over it and about to replace it with a 620 :D

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Since my first phone, a Siemens C-45 in 2002, I'd say about 26 different models, with the total closer to 40 counting repeats. I used to be huge in the mint condition trading market an buying phones unlocked. Now I've given it up...although if that EOS rumor is true, I may move my Lumia 810 to get one...

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Once a year, sometimes more often... If the financial situation allows it and I get bored/disappointed with current one - I get a different one, sometimes for a full unsubsidized price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss