Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WanderingTraveler
  • 1 Post By dkp23
  1.    #1  
    Now I was just reading that in the last quarter Samsung shipped 56% of all smartphones.

So now they not only dominate, but they dominate more than 1/2 of the market.
    Even Apple does not manage 1/2 of that marketshare.

I do not see how Nokia or HTC will be able to do well in the long run...

I still believe that HTC and Nokia need to merge their smartphone businesses, simply because otherwise they will not have the critical mass.
    There are large marketing advantages... Try to sell a Nokia 920 in some markets... will not work, the Nokia brand is a symbol of obsolete in many markets like ie. Germany, USA etc. (It is not about how you perceive it, but the mass of people) In other markets, HTC is not a good brand, because people do not know it.
    Just think about the economies of scale when you design mainboards, camera modules, order memory and SOCs... We are talking big numbers.

If we look at the WP business, clearly Nokia is making gains, but I changes nothing to the fact that the Samsung Ativ S WP8 device is one of the best WP8 devices out there... Yes it is has a very competitive price for a large display phone. Nokia and HTC can be happy that Samsung does not aggressively promote it!

If we look at the latest HTC problems, they have problems buying components for their new One... They have become to small to be considered as an important customer. Nokia does not talk about it, but they are in the same position. Just look at how difficult it was for Nokia to make the 920 in the needed quantities, not to mention the big QC problems.

As it is now, I believe both HTC and Nokia have a rocky road ahead... with HTC possibly having a winner with the One if they can ship enough. For Nokia, a 928 or Catwalk device will be a tough sell in many markets. Lets face it... it is like for cars, try to sell a Lexus in Europe, people simply don't buy Lexus cars in Europe. So, I see no future in any 928 or Catwalk... The One is a winner if HTC can ship volume and keep the QC where it needs to be. Still, even if the One does well, the dominance of Samsung is so large that it will not change much.

So, I say, Microsoft should put a big S&W500 to the heads of HTC and Nokia and get them considering a merger of HTC and Nokia Smartphone businesses, with Nokia focusing on low and mid range and HTC on high end! This way, with more volume, more shared development and also with possible Nokia Android phones (based on HTC designs) for some markets, a HTC-Nokia could stay in business and make WP a success.

As it is now... Samsung will go to Tinzen, once that happens... It will be game over for WP8 and Android. Lets face it... when it comes to smartphones, Samsung have the big guns!

As to Nokia, blocking HTC buying some microphones from ST for the One, that is Stupidity pure and simple... will just end in having both HTC and Nokia in the same grave.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Well we get it, you got a bad 920 and ever since then you are promoting HTC 8X and living happily with your 12G storage.
    Oh btw, if Tizen ever materialize is will only be a 4 way game. No chance of end of the world for your disappointment.
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi 

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    Well we get it, you got a bad 920 and ever since then you are promoting HTC 8X and living happily with your 12G storage.
    Oh btw, if Tizen ever materialize is will only be a 4 way game. No chance of end of the world for your disappointment.
    Ha ha ha, that's what I thought when I read the post. The best part was about Nokia making low end phones and HTC making high end -- well, at least it made me chuckle.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    but 928 is Verizon exclusive o.o
    i don't even...

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Its all swings and roundabouts - Few years ago HTC were the big dog in the smartphone world and Samsung were a blip on the horizon. Apple have always been where they are and I cant see that shifting anytime ever as the consumer base they have is locked in.

Samsung have done a good job with the Galaxy S2, S3 and probably the S4 if it can overcome the parts issue its currently facing that's delaying the launch. But give it another year maybe two and I can see people will go off the Galaxy range as all they are offering are minor improvements roughly the same design. Launching Tizen will more than likely put them back at the bottom of the pile. Their hardware is popular but the software running it is just as important and a new OS is always slow to start picking up momentum.

I cant see any way or any reason for Nokia and HTC to merge. HTC aren't doing very well at the moment but they know what it takes to get back on top and are hopefully rebuilding to a point where they can once again climb the ranks, fewer phones better quality is what they are currently trying to focus on and I hope it works. Nokia are pushing hard with the lumia line and there is no doubt its flying in certain markets and helping propel windows phone forwards. Both companies are slowly on the up and looking to take the reins if either Sammy or Apple falter.

In my opinion - and it really pains me to say this - I think apple are going to be huge this year and next. They've lost top spot to android, share prices have plummeted and they've just had their credit rating downgraded. For a company as big as apple this doesn't look to me like a company in decline Ive got a feeling something is going on at Cupertino that's going to smash all expectations and put them back on top. I find it almost odd that they look like they are going down without much of a fight.

If I had spidey sense, it would be tingling....
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi 
  6.    #6  
    The current Nokia line of phones is so bad that large retail chains in Switzerland are removing them from their lineup. a) No Demand. b) No Quality c) Nokia's image in Switzerland is finished. Same applies to Germany and a whole bunch of other important markets. And if you read my post... I say to place HTC above Nokia, only in those markets where the Nokia image is hopelessly destroyed.
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  7.    #7  
    Apple has no chance against Samsung... Samsung makes its own displays, memory chips, SOCs... They simply stop making them for the competition and can control volume for about the next 4 years. Just look at what is going on with memory chips... Samsung no longer sells theirs, they also buy from the competition as they sell so many devices that their own production is no longer enough. They are vertically integrated! Apple must first get components to build anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    The current Nokia line of phones is so bad that large retail chains in Switzerland are removing them from their lineup. a) No Demand. b) No Quality c) Nokia's image in Switzerland is finished. Same applies to Germany and a whole bunch of other important markets. And if you read my post... I say to place HTC above Nokia, only in those markets where the Nokia image is hopelessly destroyed.
    So correct me if I'm wrong. What you are saying from your previous post, is that HTC and Nokia should merge because Nokia's image is finished in Switzerland, Germany and the US? If so, then what about the rest of the world?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    WHY does this LOOK like a sammy fanboy? '-'
    plz go back to the mothership <3
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi 

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    Apple has no chance against Samsung... Samsung makes its own displays, memory chips, SOCs... They simply stop making them for the competition and can control volume for about the next 4 years. Just look at what is going on with memory chips... Samsung no longer sells theirs, they also buy from the competition as they sell so many devices that their own production is no longer enough. They are vertically integrated! Apple must first get components to build anything.
    Correct me if im wrong but didn't Apple already cut Samsung out components on production of the i5? And unless Qualcomm suddenly became a subsidiary of Samsung the main SOC's used aren't Sammy's either

Global Posts
    4,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    It's true that Nokia's image here in the Philippines has taken a beating, but it's because of those cheap crapdroids.
    But, Nokia still equals indestructible.

As for Nokia +HTC: NOT A CHANCE.
    HTC's business model does not suit that of Nokia. End of story.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    cuzincurly likes this.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Samsung sells $100 ~ $800 phones, and those $100 phones really shouldn't be in the same category as the $800 phones. Categories are horrible in general, they don't provide you with any context. Products differ, company targets differ, etc.

Global Posts
    1,477 Global Posts
    As mentioned above, sure Samsung takes 56% of the marketshare...when they're shipping tons of very similar low end models. Shipping doesn't equate sales either.

Windows Phone 8 isn't doing well here in Canada, many people i show my phone to is their first look at a device. Its unfortunate because a large portion of the people are very impressed. Marketing is a huge deal here, Nokia + Windows aren't investing enough to show what the phone can do Better than its competition...thats the main issue in my opinion. I'm betting right now they're preparing for that Windows Blue thing.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    Developer

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    If Nokia and HTC will use their head, not "the bottom backside of case" and make good phones with good features, they can win. Why do you think Samsung is so effective? Design? Materials? No! Look at Galaxy top versions. They have all what you need. More storage, SD support, big screen, good camera. And now show me top WPhone from Nokia or HTC with same features? Cannot find? Me too and so many others. I always saying, WP will success only when vendors will give us phones, which we cannot blame for missing of features.

No-one can deny Sammy makes some good products. However recent information, headlines, court cases, etc have shown them to be pretty unethical in their business practices. I really cannot see myself buying anything that Sammy produces in the future. I feel the same way about Google.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Companies should be glad this guy isn't running their business.
    theefman likes this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    i agree the main reason WP is still underrated is lack of marketing!
    Lumias are pretty strong to back it up but the problem is consumers are not aware about WP - a lot of pplz doesen't even know it exists!
    MS should rly start some serious marketing upon the arrival of Windows Blue...or even before...IMO, that's MS biggest mistake: not showing the world where WP is better than Android/iOS, there are some pretty valid unexplored points! shame on you MS!
    Nokia does some effort but it's still not enough :/

afterall what was Samsung until they started to heavy market GSIII?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    wtf i quoted my own post, i wanted to edit haha misclicked badly D:

Lolz ... Nokia is doing real well in WP market, while HTC is trying to stay alive in WP and Android. Why should Nokia merge with HTC, and then going down with them.

There should be better app development to gain better marketshare. Samsung are really take a huge share in smartphone as Android is well developed, and alot of geeks use Android as it's better off and more advanced. Plus rooting is very much possible. Flashing the phone with battery optimized ROMs bring it a better battery life, basically you can take control of the performance of the phone using all the rooted Apps!! Nokia should keep bringing more phones, better marketing(Samsung are spending more than a billion in advertising, hence alot of folks know about Samsung). Lumia is hardly a brand here in India.

Quote Originally Posted by nessinhaw View Post
    i agree the main reason WP is still underrated is lack of marketing!
    Lumias are pretty strong to back it up but the problem is consumers are not aware about WP - a lot of pplz doesen't even know it exists!
    MS should rly start some serious marketing upon the arrival of Windows Blue...or even before...IMO, that's MS biggest mistake: not showing the world where WP is better than Android/iOS, there are some pretty valid unexplored points! shame on you MS!
    Nokia does some effort but it's still not enough :/

afterall what was Samsung until they started to heavy market GSIII?
    I also agree about lack of marketing.

Does anybody know if those Windows Phone challenge adverts on Youtube were shown on TV networks worldwide?

If they wasn't, then that could be a good way to get Windows Phone noticed, as I was pretty impressed with the way they showed how easy it was to use them -- those adverts were the reason I bought a Windows Phone 8 in the first place.