Should I learn the guitar?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The callouses happen on the hand that plays the chords (left hand if you're right-handed). It's from pressing down on the strings.

I'm not a guitarist, but I have friends who are guitarists.

Right that makes sense, I totally overlooked that. The first thing that came to my head was if you contantly strummed the strings.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The callouses happen on the hand that plays the chords (left hand if you're right-handed). It's from pressing down on the strings.

I'm not a guitarist, but I have friends who are guitarists.

I am already getting scared of that but my will power to learn the guitar is stronger than the fear.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep thats what I am looking for, a chap said am learning it to be a chick magnet :/.
I checked my local music class and here's what they said.

13$ - 1 Time admission fee
20$ - Monthly fee, 4 sessions a week every sunday (only) for an hour
the first 6 months will be complete introduction only.

My local currency is not USD, I converted it as its easy to understand for most of you.

What turned me off is that its only once a week, when I come back after a week, I may forget what I learned the past week!?

I'll be getting a guitar this saturday/sunday. I am still not sure about electric or acoustic, some videos said get electric for beginners because its not that hard on fingers. Some said acoustic is better. My main concern is getting a white one :). Possibly I may get an electric in white as acoustic in white is a bit hard to find, have seen black, brown, woody but not white. (Am not very keen to get an amp. as I won't be playing it loud, unless I want to make someone's life a living hell)

I'll be learning through online/offline video tutorials at my own pace, and I hope I don't make my neighbors angry :p.

Will update once am done buying.

The cost for the lessons sounds reasonable. You'll be surprised what once a week will do for you. You'll probably be given "homework", things for you to work on at home until your next lesson.
I'd say an electric is your best bet for starting off... and a small practice amp with a headphone jack to keep the neighbors happy. ;)

Good luck and most of all, have fun!

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, as for "6 years and still suck", didn't you try to learn something new from what you had been doing daily? I mean thinking out of the box?
I did check a few videos and posts and I feel that I should go for electric because in the acoustic, the gap between the strings & the neck is a bit on the higher side, which means you need to push the strings a bit hard to get the real sound, not so in electric, my physique is not very well built so its better to stay the way I am and opt for electric :).
Can't get both, lol.

Wow, this thread really took off. :p

I guess I don't really suck, I just like to think I do. heh Although I do think I should be better than I am at this point, but I still really enjoy it and have learned a lot on my own.

Anyway, I have a Mexican made Fender Stratocaster that I got with an amp and a case for $300 (used) on eBay. That may not be an option for you (plus it's better to try a guitar out before you buy it). I don't know if you've said previously, but where are you from?

Since you're not really sure whether to go acoustic or electric, I recommend an electric. It'll be easier to play, and you'll have greater versatility with an electric (basically you can play more songs). And with the amp you can usually add some distortion, which makes it more fun (in my opinion) and adds to the versatility of it (I love me some distortion :p).

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Forgot about this thread, had some heavy work load at office and a trip planned in mid july so will be getting it once I come back from the trip :)
I checked theguitarlesson.com and justinguitar.com for instructional videos.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorta offtopic, but I just ordered myself a harmonica.. Something about those has always interested me. While I would probably benefit a lot more if I just learned to play the guitar well first, but harpists are so few that there is something interesting about it. I never quite felt guitar as my instrument anyways..

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorta offtopic, but I just ordered myself a harmonica.. Something about those has always interested me. While I would probably benefit a lot more if I just learned to play the guitar well first, but harpists are so few that there is something interesting about it. I never quite felt guitar as my instrument anyways..

You need to have good lungs to play it ;)
A chap advised me locally to play flute, and I considered it very very cheap to do lol. It may be hippy abroad, over here its cheap, unless you are a flute ninja or something like that :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't think the lungs are a huge problem, I sing a lot, so I've sort of learned the proper breathing techniques already.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't think the lungs are a huge problem, I sing a lot, so I've sort of learned the proper breathing techniques already.

The last time I had to sing (because I signed in late), I had to close my eyes because my voice was horrible :p.
Pal advised me to learn singing too, I was shying away lol.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The last time I had to sing (because I signed in late), I had to close my eyes because my voice was horrible :p.
Pal advised me to learn singing too, I was shying away lol.

I think I can sing OK, but not when I have to carry the tune alone cos I get too nervous and I can't hold it together :p I work for the church and usually theres the designated singer/player, but there has been a few cases when I've had to carry those hymns alone and while even on record I can sing OK, that wasn't good at all lol.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Purchased a Fender CD 60 yesterday, paid approx USD 175 for it.
I was actually looking for a cheapo guitar to learn, band and bash and then move to a professional level guitar. But boy, when the sales rep strummed this baby it sounded terribly sweet.
There were 2 colors, A natural (Cream) and Sunburst, opted for the sunburst.

Now here is a situation I am facing, in standard tuning, I find it difficult to play the D Chord :(, when I place the fingers 1 string sounds buzzy and if they sound fine I find it terribly hard to keep my fingers in place.

Am 5.9~ and bought the full size one, any ideas anyone? or its just that this is happening because am a beginner?

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Purchased a Fender CD 60 yesterday, paid approx USD 175 for it.
I was actually looking for a cheapo guitar to learn, band and bash and then move to a professional level guitar. But boy, when the sales rep strummed this baby it sounded terribly sweet.
There were 2 colors, A natural (Cream) and Sunburst, opted for the sunburst.

Now here is a situation I am facing, in standard tuning, I find it difficult to play the D Chord :(, when I place the fingers 1 string sounds buzzy and if they sound fine I find it terribly hard to keep my fingers in place.
Am 5.9~ and bought the full size one, any ideas anyone? or its just that this is happening because am a beginner?

Probably best to take it to a Luthier and have him check the neck and action. Had to take my Dreadnought in for neck bowing and lowering the action. Now she plays sweeter than ever .

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Some update is that my fingers stretched on day 2 a bit easier than on day 1.
Now if I try to hold 2 strings on fret 1 and 1 string on fret 3, i find difficulties, am not sure if I purchased the wrong size or the action is high or its about practice?
I do know it'll take a lot of practice and pain, but am just a bit uncomfortable with the fingers not stretching at this point, strings buzzing after being strummed or being muted.

Hard to catch a Luthier over here, will see though.

xsentrick

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm turning 44 next month and I took up guitar last year. If I can learn to play guitar, ANYONE can! Learn a few chords and then find some peeps to jam with. It makes practicing much more tolerable..lol!

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm turning 44 next month and I took up guitar last year. If I can learn to play guitar, ANYONE can! Learn a few chords and then find some peeps to jam with. It makes practicing much more tolerable..lol!

Hard to find jammers here :D, besides am not a very outgoing kind of person.
At what level do you consider yourself now in terms of playing guitar?

xsentrick

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hard to find jammers here :D, besides am not a very outgoing kind of person.
At what level do you consider yourself now in terms of playing guitar?

I still consider myself a beginner. I'd be further along if I practiced like I should. With two kids, my time alone is limited. I try and practice 2-3 times a week for about an hour or two. If you want to get really good though, I would suggest practicing at least 2 hours every day. I know I won't ever be a rockstar..lol! It's just a cool hobby.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I still consider myself a beginner. I'd be further along if I practiced like I should. With two kids, my time alone is limited. I try and practice 2-3 times a week for about an hour or two. If you want to get really good though, I would suggest practicing at least 2 hours every day. I know I won't ever be a rockstar..lol! It's just a cool hobby.

I see, I practice around 30-40 minutes a day, still working on a few basic chords and strumming, then it'll be making chord switching. Its a bit hard at this point but am not frustrated as the noise that comes out of the guitar is so clean :). I practice at night, lock my room so nobody's disturbed and nobody disturbs me either.
I don't wish to be a rockstar either but its good to know how to play as a way to pass spare time and refresh mind :).

P.S. - I saw some sick picks at etsy.com, some made of wood, brass, sterling silver etc., some personalized as well, did you look at those?

xsentrick

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I see, I practice around 30-40 minutes a day, still working on a few basic chords and strumming, then it'll be making chord switching. Its a bit hard at this point but am not frustrated as the noise that comes out of the guitar is so clean :). I practice at night, lock my room so nobody's disturbed and nobody disturbs me either.
I don't wish to be a rockstar either but its good to know how to play as a way to pass spare time and refresh mind :).

P.S. - I saw some sick picks at etsy.com, some made of wood, brass, sterling silver etc., some personalized as well, did you look at those?

That's pretty much the only reason I wanted to learn. Just to say I could and it's fun to strum some basic tunes at parties and get your friends singing along. I do need to make a point of practicing more diligently. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a finger strengthener. I use one while I sit at work all day and it has really helped me become better at fingering chords. Also the one I have has these little ridged caps that develop and help maintain calleous on my fingertips, which is hard for me because I have soft girly hands..lol! I haven't looked at any of the picks on Etsy, but I did buy some custom Star Wars guitar straps because I'm a SW dork. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99