WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

BIDS Extensions won't install on my development machine on build 10122, thinking that there's a pending reboot. (*&^%$$#!$#@$#%$%^&*(

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

All great, and I agree with everything (as I type this on my iPad Air 2), but the "infograph" I posted earlier, and my point, as it were, was about developer reach with the Windows 10 platform; the market share then, versus the market that opens up with Windows 10. Not about whether or not all the universal apps and devices work well with each other. Or not even what other platforms might have going for them.

The market outlook for developers on Windows 10 is undeniably huge. I think when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 and the unified store is when they're really going to see the growth.
My point was, on the whole about the reality of that market share. Yes Windows numbers are huge but how many of them care about universal apps? Enterprise being one of the largest buyers of Microsoft products will not upgrade to W10 any time soon. Even then most will probably disable the universal apps functionality and the Store.

I have nothing against the idea of universal apps and I think it's a great thing to have but the question remains will it help Windows Mobile with apps? Don't know. There's nothing to prove one way or the other that it will change a developers mind.

I argued about this in another thread but I'll make my point here. The question all developers are going to ask is what is the Windows Store numbers now. They'll want statistics and projections and proof of those projections. From what little I've read, very few use the Windows Store on W8.1.

One of largest group of Windows Phone users at this moment are places where the phone is their computer. The emerging markets. They don't own a PC. In what way does universal apps help these people? Or prove a viable market for Windows Mobile?

These are the questions I have. It's not being negative or anti Microsoft I'm just curious. We don't know the plan really and what little we know offers few insights.

We could all be surprised come July with some fantastic announcements but who knows?

Ignorance, there is a cure.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

My point was, on the whole about the reality of that market share. Yes Windows numbers are huge but how many of them care about universal apps? Enterprise being one of the largest buyers of Microsoft products will not upgrade to W10 any time soon. Even then most will probably disable the universal apps functionality and the Store.

I have nothing against the idea of universal apps and I think it's a great thing to have but the question remains will it help Windows Mobile with apps? Don't know. There's nothing to prove one way or the other that it will change a developers mind.

I argued about this in another thread but I'll make my point here. The question all developers are going to ask is what is the Windows Store numbers now. They'll want statistics and projections and proof of those projections. From what little I've read, very few use the Windows Store on W8.1.

One of largest group of Windows Phone users at this moment are places where the phone is their computer. The emerging markets. They don't own a PC. In what way does universal apps help these people? Or prove a viable market for Windows Mobile?

These are the questions I have. It's not being negative or anti Microsoft I'm just curious. We don't know the plan really and what little we know offers few insights.

We could all be surprised come July with some fantastic announcements but who knows?

Ignorance, there is a cure.
Right. I don't think they'll have to rely on universal apps. The devs don't care which device their app/game gets installed on, but that the customer bought their product. Like you say, some people might have a phone only, or an Xbox one only. It's just that many more potential customers. The devs should be looking at the millions of Xbox owners for their new game for example, they publish it to the Windows 10 store, and it becomes available on all W10 devices. The people who have a phone only in emerging markets benefit from all the apps/games/titles coming to the store because of the Xbox.. Even if they have only the one device, and never utilize the universal functionality of the title.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Right. I don't think they'll have to rely on universal apps. The devs don't care which device their app/game gets installed on, but that the customer bought their product. Like you say, some people might have a phone only, or an Xbox one only. It's just that many more potential customers. The devs should be looking at the millions of Xbox owners for their new game for example, they publish it to the Windows 10 store, and it becomes available on all W10 devices. The people who have a phone only in emerging markets benefit from all the apps/games/titles coming to the store because of the Xbox.. Even if they have only the one device, and never utilize the universal functionality of the title.

I get the game thing but I have trouble with other apps. If I own a PC and no other Windows/Microsoft device and never use the store because I don't need it, how does that help anything?

That's my point and I'm not alone in this. There are many more PC users out there who don't use the Store, don't own a Xbox, don't own a WP.

That's not even counting the business share of the market where all those things will likely be disabled so won't and shouldn't count in any numbers.

So yes, I get the games thing. It will probably work, but is that enough?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree with both of you. I don't think those of us in the US are the only ones who have to deal with these types of politicians either.

It's a global thing. Kinda like how 96% of doctors have terrible penmanship that only pharmacists can translate effectively.

But at least with the medical people we can put up with because they're making a difference. Many of these politicians need to be flung off a cliff, along with the brain dead constituents who elected them...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. So NJ trsnsitnos having some issues and I get to do the old grunt work commute - the PATH through the World Trade Center. On the plus side, I get to see the work that's being done on WTC.

I used to be down there a lot, butbthat cute girl who took good care of me at a Starbucks left and one of my favorite electronic retailers (J&R World) closed their physical stores.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Don't look now, but I think the guy sitting to my right is gaming on an Amazon Fire Phone.

A Fire Phone in the wild? Almost as rare a sight as an honest politician...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I get the game thing but I have trouble with other apps. If I own a PC and no other Windows/Microsoft device and never use the store because I don't need it, how does that help anything?

That's my point and I'm not alone in this. There are many more PC users out there who don't use the Store, don't own a Xbox, don't own a WP.

That's not even counting the business share of the market where all those things will likely be disabled so won't and shouldn't count in any numbers.

So yes, I get the games thing. It will probably work, but is that enough?

This is why I made the point I did earlier. MSFT cannot be going after the niche people... they have to be a force in the emerging markets and get still offer quality to the high end markets like the US and UK.

They NEED to court and openly promote indie devs like Rudy H. I would have signed agreements with the big app guys and have a few indie devs run officially supported apps. Bit as we've seen with the Pebble saga, some people don't like MSFT. They've got a lot of minds to change.

Posted via Xperia Z3

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I agree with both of you. I don't think those of us in the US are the only ones who have to deal with these types of politicians either.
Elected judges are not much different especially in the Southern states in this country. Why this isn't fodder for the new outlets is a bit beyond my comprehension.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's a global thing. Kinda like how 96% of doctors have terrible penmanship that only pharmacists can translate effectively.

But at least with the medical people we can put up with because they're making a difference. Many of these politicians need to be flung off a cliff, along with the brain dead constituents who elected them...

Posted via Xperia Z3
The view near the cliff would still be spectacular but the stench would be overwhelming.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

This is why I made the point I did earlier. MSFT cannot be going after the niche people... they have to be a force in the emerging markets and get still offer quality to the high end markets like the US and UK.

They NEED to court and openly promote indie devs like Rudy H. I would have signed agreements with the big app guys and have a few indie devs run officially supported apps. Bit as we've seen with the Pebble saga, some people don't like MSFT. They've got a lot of minds to change.

Posted via Xperia Z3
You forgot to add Snapchat to the list of MSFT haters...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Elected judges are not much different especially in the Southern states in this country. Why this isn't fodder for the new outlets is a bit beyond my comprehension.

The media doesn't touch it because certain evils are tolerated to unify a nation. Nothing new to see here...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The view near the cliff would still be spectacular but the stench would be overwhelming.

I'd beg to differ. You can get people to do the clean up work who would be happy to do so. Cliff would smell just fine...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's one judge I like a lot and what's cool about him is that he's a Republican Elected Judge but does the law right. - Judge John E. Jones III

He's absolutely fantastic. I don't say that about many people but this guy is simply that.

I don't know his whole history but he's done some great things.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They use computers here in Europe...

So do they in the US. Doesn't change the fact that most doctors have ****ty handwriting that only pharmacists and some lawyers and some assistants can read...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Any weekend plans for folks?

Oil change in the car. I run the full synthetic Mobil 1 with a 15K mile filter, so need a change about once a year.
Then might go to Hurricane Harbor - the little one has been bugging us quite a bit for some time now.
Or we might head down to the beach.
Sunday there are some IKEA plans to get some pots to plant our portable vegetable and herb garden.
That should keep me quite busy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb