Chromecast??

cruisezero

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think about Chromecast? Google did not mention its support for Windows Phone (shocker). For $35 I think its a nifty idea. I know Xbox can stream but for people who just want simple streaming without hassle/cost of buying Xbox its a good solution.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered one now; very excited about this.

I really wish MS had released the Xbox Stingray (a rumored $99 version that lacked a disc drive) to better compete in this space. At $500 or even $400 or $300 the Xbox is just not going to take over living rooms across the country. My next best hope is that MS releases lower-priced "Xbox Live companion" devices for XBox One that would let you enjoy at least Xbox Music/Videos, Netflix, Game of Thrones, etc. on other tv's around the house. It just makes no sense to me that MS is not doing more to extend their reach into the living room.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, honestly, what's the use of this if my TV already has network connectivity and a browser? I can't really see a reason for this if my TV has connectivity already.

I can see if my TV doesn't have a network connection and I can't hook up a PC of some sort. I just plug this into the HDMI port on the TV and then stream content wirelessly?

kilgore walleye

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The appeal to me is that its simple, and that you can browse from your laptop, tablet, or phone. I (and I think many others) prefer browsing content on those devices, versus, say, an xbox using a controller that was designed for games (or a remote control accessory, which would cost almost as much as chromecast itself. Also, the xbox live gold requirement on xbox for a lot of the content is enough to keep myself and many others away from streaming via xbox.

I have an xbox hooked up to my tv, but I rarely use it because i have an old laptop with an external tv tuner hooked up to it that I use for watching everything online and over the air. I also have my phone and ideapad yoga on the coffee table. Unfortunately the old laptop's days are numbered I think, so it might need to be replaced. However, if chromecast works well enough, I could just use the yoga to stream everything I want over to the tv. It would also let me get rid of the dreaded keyboard and mouse on the coffee table.

My worries though are that the netflix app on windows phone won't be included (although I guess I should be able to use the yoga to send netflix to chromecast). I'm also wondering if support will be integrated into windows-desktop audio/video apps (like WMP, VLC, etc.), in order to send local content to chromecast.

I hope chromecast turns into what I wanted xbox smartglass to be. I don't use smartglass often because I can't send locally downloaded content to the tv.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, honestly, what's the use of this if my TV already has network connectivity and a browser? I can't really see a reason for this if my TV has connectivity already.

I can see if my TV doesn't have a network connection and I can't hook up a PC of some sort. I just plug this into the HDMI port on the TV and then stream content wirelessly?

I have one of the Samsung Smart TVs and I still ordered a Chromecast dongle. The UI on any of these Smart TVs is plain abysmal. For $35 ($11, if you factor in the 3 months of free Netflix), this makes my life a whole lot easier.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I already have one of these. The main draw of this device is the same as the AppleTV: quickly get what you have on your phone, tablet or computer onto your tv and back as effortlessly as possible. I have used it with the Nexus 7, a chromebook and two different Windows based computers. The use of it is rather limited at this second but I can see it expanding REALLY quickly. It seems to be done in a way that it can be easily built into apps for iOS and Android (instantly making it more useful than AppleTV). I have been screaming for MS to be doing this since I first used an AppleTV. We all know xbox integration is laughable, and no one is going to buy an xbox for features (if they existed) that AppleTV and now Chromecast can do. Airplay is darn useful and now Google is going for it's throat.

To the person who mentioned why would someone use this when they have a smart tv: You can't start a youtube video on your tv and quickly pickup where you left off on your phone and then restarting it again on a different tv. Chromecast is cheap enough that most people can afford to have one of these on all their tvs. Once devs start adding the feature to their apps and screen mirroring is possible, this will be the smartest purchase for almost anyone with a smartphone/tablet/etc.

anon(5466678)

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
How has no one asked this question... Will Netflix/MS/devs update their WP apps to utilize chromecast? if not I think they may have just put the final nail in my personal choice to switch to android. Been on WP since the start, came from a samsung touchwiz (back when touchwiz was its own OS) and havent looked back until recently...

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I would expect support for WP8. Maybe MS will get smart and realize they need a slimmed-down, drive-free Xbox that's <$100 in order to compete in this space. Right now it looks like Google is going to eat everyone's lunch.

Steve Kesler

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Chromecast is great. I wish Google or MS would build chromecast support into the Windows Phone 8 Youtube app.
Hopefully it is just a matter of time.

twelvetudors

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a chromecast, but right now it's next to worthless to me. I can only stream a tab from my browser right now, as Netflix and YouTube don't have Chromecast support in app for Windows Phone or Windows 8.

Steve Kesler

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Some advantages over standard smart TVs are:
  1. iOS/Android phone/tablet users can easily 'cast' their YouTube playlist. You can actually build a YouTube TV queue (ie take turns playing videos). Interesting for music videos.
  2. Visiting family members (mother, sister, niece, friends etc ) can 'cast' their Netflix or Hulu Plus shows/movies (using their own accounts) to my TVs.
It seems Chromecast apps (YouTube, Netflix, HuluPlus, Pandora, etc.) are instructing the Chromecast device to ' go to this place, and play this video, using this account', so it is not really streaming from the remote device. Once you start the video, you can turn off the phone/tablet used to start the 'cast event'.
This truly is a killer device.

Steve Kesler

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a chromecast, but right now it's next to worthless to me. I can only stream a tab from my browser right now, as Netflix and YouTube don't have Chromecast support in app for Windows Phone or Windows 8.

You can add Chrome browser on your Win 8 computer, then add the Chromecast extension, and cast from there, including YouTube website. It really is awesome. The Pandora website will also cast to it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire