Windows OS a lesser operating system?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You have better patience than I. As soon as I said I wanted a 920 and was offered the S4, I would have asked for a different salesman. I tend to never be rude to strangers (unless I'm playing on Xbox LIVE, haha), but I also have a low tolerance for stupidity and incompetence, so I would have wanted away from that person ASAP.

actually that's a very good way to go about it in a cell phone store. I should try that sometimes.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You have better patience than I. As soon as I said I wanted a 920 and was offered the S4, I would have asked for a different salesman. I tend to never be rude to strangers (unless I'm playing on Xbox LIVE, haha), but I also have a low tolerance for stupidity and incompetence, so I would have wanted away from that person ASAP.

To be fair, to make them scared of losing their commission would be enough to jerk them into action. If it didn't, and the manager saw a lost sale as a whole alongside a complaint about that store... The company would have heads rolling.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Seeing this, I'm actually proud of the fact that we have actual Nokia Stores here in the Philippines.

Note to self: Advise people in the US to order online.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Back when I used Android, I'd have to deal with them trying to sell me phones I already knew I didn't want. I'm a dev, so I wanted Nexus phones. Anytime I went for one, they'd be like "Why do you want that? Look at this other POS phone you didn't ask for." I learned if you say "I'm a developer and I want this phone," they don't even try. If they do continue pushing, then I flat out look them in the eye and ask to talk to someone else. That ALWAYS gets results.

Moral of the story: If there's a phone you want, tell them you're a dev and you know what you want in the phone. No one even thinks twice at that point.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've honestly never got a phone of any kind pushed on me. I've upgraded three times I've since having a cell phone and while I got curious looks for not going for an iPhone or Android, that's as far as its gone and was on my way with the phone I wanted

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Jesus. The fanboys in here.
Android is good if you get a flagship Phone, any other phone will give you headaches.
IPhone has the best ecosystem but is simply overpriced,
Windows has the worst ecosystem, only Nokia-ware keeps it competing, but its best value for money if you're buying something LESS than a flagship phone.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This seems very odd and certainly not the norm. Average sales person may not like WP but I have never heard of one making someone listen to info on one phone before seeing anothing...
Sometimes there are extra commission/bonuses for selling certain devices. Just sayin

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Android is good if you get a flagship Phone, any other phone will give you headaches.
Windows has the worst ecosystem, only Nokia-ware keeps it competing, but its best value for money if you're buying something LESS than a flagship phone.

let's get one thing straight. I use Xbox, Windows 8, and Windows Phone. The WP IS the best ecosystem for me and I own a flagship. Don't speak for everyone. For me the Nokia Lumia 920 is worth it.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
let's get one thing straight. I use Xbox, Windows 8, and Windows Phone. The WP IS the best ecosystem for me and I own a flagship. Don't speak for everyone. For me the Nokia Lumia 920 is worth it.
I speak for the majority, not for you. Market numbers speak louder than anecdotes. That's why the Lumia 520 is so popular - Best bang for your buck. But the ecosystem is still crap. Beautiful interface, very simple to use, excellent keyboard,wonderful ext design, but poor apps ( or lack of) = poor ecosystem.
The other thing is, I work in healthcare and in the two years I've used WP7.5 and now WP8 there have been no medical apps. So I have to complement it with either an android or iOS device - poor ecosystem if it can't be a stand alone device.

PS: I really want to know why screen-lock isn't an option in the update.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Had some what of the same experience. Was going to wait until the next day to go to the Microsoft store and get a 520, but wanted one the night I bought it. I went to Walmart and asked for one. The guy had to walk me to the front but was talking about how he wasn't a "fan" of Windows Phone. Who....cares?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

1. Android is not limited to just the flagship models, and a LOT of their mid-level devices have gotten better. But even with the high end devices, or with any device, there's a stutter or two here & there
3. Windows Phone actually doesn't have the "worst" ecosystem, that title belongs to Blackberry. And if I were to drop 600 or more on a 1020, trust and believe I'd get GREAT use out of that phone

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

You came to a Windows Phone forum and are surprised that there fans of the platform here? I don't know what you were expecting. I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't and don't want Android or iphone. I wanted Windows Phone. I have a 920, and it is a fantastic phone.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You came to a Windows Phone forum and are surprised that there fans of the platform here? I don't know what you were expecting. I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't and don't want Android or iphone. I wanted Windows Phone. I have a 920, and it is a fantastic phone.

I think the term used was fanboys. Which, IMO, is beyond a mere fan

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd consider ****** to be a generally pejorative variant on fan. Especially when someone comes to a message board dedicated to a single product and seems to not like said product particularly.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I speak for the majority, not for you. Market numbers speak louder than anecdotes. That's why the Lumia 520 is so popular - Best bang for your buck. But the ecosystem is still crap. Beautiful interface, very simple to use, excellent keyboard,wonderful ext design, but poor apps ( or lack of) = poor ecosystem.
The other thing is, I work in healthcare and in the two years I've used WP7.5 and now WP8 there have been no medical apps. So I have to complement it with either an android or iOS device - poor ecosystem if it can't be a stand alone device.

PS: I really want to know why screen-lock isn't an option in the update.

Apps are but only a (admittedly fairly large) part of the ecosystem. The ecosystem encompasses other things, indeed by mentioning "Windows ecosystem" you're inadvertently including Windows x86. Which if you try and say has the worst ecosystem, you're gonna get laughed at. Bear in mind that the WP is considered an extension of Windows desktop, in a way. It does this flawlessly, and the Microsoft ecosystem is powerful. I'll be the first to admit, there are issues that need sorting out with WP (for example why can I not clear my Xbox Music Cloud Collection), but to just try and write it off. Have you ever thought the reason there aren't apps is because WP doesn't yet have the marketshare to do this, because if you don't have apps you can't apparently sell phones? That and about 99% of the world thinks Microsoft is some big evil company that can do no right and deserves to die off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss