Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By LMZR
  • 4 Post By jmshub
  • 1 Post By jmshub
  • 3 Post By WanderingTraveler
  • 2 Post By cyberden
  • 3 Post By Reflexx
  • 4 Post By a5cent
  • 3 Post By a5cent
  • 1 Post By Reflexx

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Have you guys noticed google is turning into a ****. Blocking YouTube on WP now screwing over their employees, is this becoming a trend?

http://bgr.com/2013/08/16/google-emp...nius+Report%29

Global Posts
    2,731 Global Posts
    Google has become what Microsoft was back in 2000-2002.

The difference is Microsoft got in trouble, but Google hasn't.
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
    Thanked by:
    HaibaneReki likes this.

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I'm not really surprised BGR wrote that article.

Considering what you ask, yes. This happens just when I was finally warming up to Android.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    This article was posted on multiple sites :P

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts
    Google was always a tech darling, but I think they are definitely on a path to complete awful.

For one thing, Google is building all kinds of things, Android, Chrome, Maps, self-driving cars and 3D glasses and crap, but in the end, their only substantial source of income is advertising. This makes them just kind of icky...they are incapable of selling a product...the only thing they have ever been able to successfully monetize is their hoard of users.

So many of their recent decisions like killing off Reader, discontinuing EAS on gmail, and their jihad on Windows Phone seems to have no legitimate business case, other than them being corporate dinks. They are just using their position to bully other people around...and they seem to be trying more than anything to become a successful soccial network with G+, even at the expense of their search business.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    You mentioned their only substantial source of income was advertising, can you please explain that

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts
    Google's primary product is search. They monetize search with advertising. Google has their financial information published, available at 2013 Financial Tables ...Advertising revenue makes up the vast majority of their revenue.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Thought it would def be android guess not

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by HarisA1 View Post
    Thought it would def be android guess not
    Android is free. Free as in Google gives it away to expand their user base.
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Dafuq?!?!

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts
    And that shows the core problem with google. Reader was a much loved service by those that use it. But it provides google no source of income and got axed. Nearly any of their services, could get dropped when the goog gets tired of supporting it.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    That's the difference between google and Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    Not only it expands their user base but it makes users captive of an ecosystem in which google can push contextualized (ie expensive) ads. Plus, android enables google to gather a lot more data about their users than if they stayed on standard web applications. Android is in fact google Trojan horse trap. Google doesn't care about,its services, only the ads and user data that go with them. Reader example shows that quite well.
    a5cent and HaibaneReki like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberden View Post
    Not only it expands their user base but it makes users captive of an ecosystem in which google can push contextualized (ie expensive) ads. Plus, android enables google to gather a lot more data about their users than if they stayed on standard web applications. Android is in fact google Trojan horse trap. Google doesn't care about,its services, only the ads and user data that go with them. Reader example shows that quite well.
    That's an interesting (and good) analogy.

If Android was running on top of something else, it would be flagged as a virus. LoL
    Quote Originally Posted by HarisA1 View Post
    Dafuq?!?!
    I'm surprised this is still news.

Android is free because Google uses every Android device as a data collection machine. It collects data about its owner... primarily by encouraging people to access Google's services/ecosystem (where every email you send or receive is "read", your media usage us tracked, etc.), but also more directly through Google Now and location tracking. Everything it can extract Google assembles into a huge profile, describing who Google thinks you are. They are amazingly accurate. Income brackets, family status, education, interests, health, your pets, job/employer, likes and dislikes... the lot.

This information is then used to target advertising, which is what Google's actual customers (corporations) pay for.

However, Android is not really intended to be an advertising delivery medium, although a few exceptions exist.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    If Android was running on top of something else, it would be flagged as a virus. LoL
    Absolutely true, or more precisely, it would be flagged as spyware :-/

The only difference is that Google is upfront about it in their terms of service, which nobody reads.

PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    Yup. Its simple as more users = more data to mine and sell = more ads served.
    Centralised folder for game data + saves, which in turn is backed upto the cloud.

User voice vote link

Vote here for smart dialing!!!

User voice vote link for smart dialing

Vote for Jen Taylors voice in english speaking countries (my ears are still bleeding after listening to UK version of Cortana ) :
    User Voice link

Forum Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Absolutely true, or more precisely, it would be flagged as spyware :-/

The only difference is that Google is upfront about it in their terms of service, which nobody reads.
    Yeah.

I'm not really that upset with Google collecting data. I think consumers who use Google pretty much know that their likes, dislikes and habits are being tracked.

Though I think people sometimes dont really realize just how much Google knows about you. How they are able to take all this data and connect dots.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of choosing product categories from a list of choices than I am of having my emails searched for keywords.
    Laura Knotek likes this.