Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I dont know what should I feel right now, Im a Nokia Fan since day 1. I'm hoping that they will still use Nokia brand I dont want Nokia to die.

PS. now that Microsoft owns Nokia Devices all HTC and Samsung Fans should not complain about Nokia news everyday.....here in WPCentral
    Last edited by Terence John Vidal; 09-04-2013 at 02:11 AM.

My understanding, is that it's simply the feature phones that will be allowed to use the Nokia branding. I don't think it's a question of what MSFT would prefer, but a question of Nokia (which will still exist, but in a different form) being able to protect and utilize the brand name that they've built over a century. So no, I don't think branding smartphones with the Nokia name is going to be an option going forward; unless new terms can be reached between the two.
    Last edited by mgkeath; 09-03-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Watching Nokia Webcast Live now on Bloomberg TV. Ballmer speaking now...
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    And also Stephen Elop

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkeath View Post
    My understanding, is that it's simply the feature phones that will be allowed to use the Nokia branding. I don't think it's a question of what MSFT would prefer, but a question of Nokia (which will still exist, but in a different form) being able to protect and utilize the brand name that they've built over a century. So no, I don't think branding smartphones with the Nokia name is going to be an option going forward; unless new terms can be reached between the two.
    Yes, Microsoft will still use Nokia Branding on Asha Devices but I'm hoping that they will still use it for Lumia Devices. Can Nokia still create phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence John Vidal View Post
    I dont know what should I feel right now, Im a Nokia Fan since day 1. I'm hoping that they will still use Nokia brand I dont want Nokia to die.

PS. now that Microsoft owns Nokia Devices all HTC and Samsung Fans should not complain about Nokia news everyday.....here in WPCentral
    Fan of Nokia here, not Microsoft. The emotional attachment is with Nokia, not Microsoft. If future phones will be branded Microsoft Lumia or whatever the name be - then I don't think I will be buying them simply put. I want to own the brand Nokia, not simply Microsoft.

Global Posts
    2,738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nbktonic View Post
    Fan of Nokia here, not Microsoft. The emotional attachment is with Nokia, not Microsoft. If future phones will be branded Microsoft Lumia or whatever the name be - then I don't think I will be buying them simply put. I want to own the brand Nokia, not simply Microsoft.
    I'm wondering the exact same thing as you are. I just hope Nokia will still have Nokia branding on their products.
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    IMO this is great news. This will bring the two companies closer together and we will see more updates, better hardware, more epic stuff!;

Also in not worried about frequency of updates or branding as elop will still be top dawg of the devices and services division, the current head of devices and services in msft will answer to elop regardless if he gets CEO or not.

This is awesome :)
    sumton, 1Sick1500 and makeskmr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence John Vidal View Post
    Yes, Microsoft will still use Nokia Branding on Asha Devices but I'm hoping that they will still use it for Lumia Devices. Can Nokia still create phones?
    In a word, no. Making devices requires a great deal of infrastructure and resources. Selling those assets off is Nokia's way if saying, we no longer make devices. If making devices was their intention for the future than they'd be insane to sell the infrastructure to do so off to Microsoft. To build that up again from scratch, in the competitive environment of today, just isn't going to happen.
    The only reason I bought my Lumia 620 is for the brand name of Nokia, and not Windows Phone. If the brand name of Nokia dies, I'll surely switch to Android or iOS.

What is going to be the future of feature phones? Microsoft makes the OS, but those feature phones don't need it...
    tobz121 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robinleck View Post
    Watching Nokia Webcast Live now on Bloomberg TV. Ballmer speaking now...

Can i get a link buddy?

Sent from my RM-885_im_india_249 using Tapatalk

I bought a Lumia 800 last year, simply because I wanted a Nokia. Irs my first smartphone. And I had not much of an idea of different OSes. I've only owned Nokia phones since my first cellphone in 2001.
    After using WP, im sure my next phone will be a WP. Im not jumping ship to android or ios simply because MS bought Nokia.
    Earlier, in the feature phone era, the Nokia brand did matter. Today its more about the OS. And for me, WP is what works well.
    Last edited by mpt15; 09-03-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Owning the brand Nokia is not going to be an option, at least not in smartphones.

So, if Microsoft slaps a Nokia label on the phones, even though Nokia has no control over the development, than would you buy one? Nokia is just a name. While the name has history, the important factor isn't really that name. If MSFT continues to build with the same design quality and much of the same employees base, doesn't it make little sense to let your love of the name hold you back? What are your options? Will you now learn to love the names, Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc? Will moving on to one of those names be better than moving on to, what could still be, in essence, Nokia, but with a newer, shinier name? Sorry, but I don't see how the love of Nokia makes you go away from a brand that now encompasses everything that used to be Nokia, simply for the love of a name. If time passes and you don't think MSFT continues the things that made loyalists in the first place than I'd understand, but as of now, the new Lumia/Asha is the closest thing you'll be getting to what was once your beloved brand.
    a5cent and invictus_7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LMZR View Post
    I'm wondering the exact same thing as you are. I just hope Nokia will still have Nokia branding on their products.
    I am deeply disappointed with this news of buyout. I have been convincing people proudly of switching over to Nokia, not switching over to the WP8 OS. Nokia is what driving the sales, not MSFT. Can't believe just a legendary company sold out for a penny.
    Thanked by:
    rmichael75 and tobz121 like this.
    I am deeply disappointed with this news of buyout. I have been convincing people proudly of switching over to Nokia, not switching over to the WP8 OS. Nokia is what driving the sales, not MSFT. Can't believe just a legendary company sold out for a penny.
    The company isn't being sold out. They are just selling one division. One of the most expensive divisions and the least profitable. 5 billion for a division that looses money isn't a bad price.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt, mgkeath and tgp like this.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I bought my Lumia
    because it was a nokia product not
    because it runs Windows Phone

Quote Originally Posted by TerenceJohn27 View Post
    I bought my Lumia
    But it did run WP and was going to for the foreseeable future. So, what has really changed in that regard? The same staff will be designing and building/updating the new phones as that's the infrastructure already in place, so I see little difference for the near term. How things will shake out long term is anybody's guess.
    Thanked by:
    a5cent and mpt15 like this.

Global Posts
    2,738 Global Posts
    I haven't been trying to switch people to Nokia phones, but to Windows Phone in general.

I know that i might be overreacting, but it's gonna be so disappointing when we see the first Microsoft Lumia.
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR

My nokia mix radio isn't working, am I the only one?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkeath View Post
    But it did run WP and was going to for the foreseeable future. So, what has really changed in that regard? The same staff will be designing and building/updating the new phones as that's the infrastructure already in place, so I see little difference for the near term. How things will shake out long term is
    anybody's guess.
    Many people buy things because of the name. Nokia is famous because of its build quality and because of that they will always buy Nokia
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi 
    Dazzi and tobz121 like this.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I dnt know why you guys are over reacting for a name .team ll be the same . I find changing the os jus coz msft owned nokia nd changed its name is quite silly reason as we already know 32000 staff is migrating. Minds will be same

Sent from window's phone 8.
    Rem97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubeddd View Post
    My nokia mix radio isn't working, am I the only one?
    Mine's working fine!
    NOKIA LUMIA 1520|Microsoft SURFACE 2

Global Posts
    17,310 Global Posts
    I don't have any real issues with this but I'll state what I don't like about it. I'd like to be clear about one thing first. I don't really care who makes my handset as long as everything is good. Right now, WP8 OS is not perfect and the hardware is close to perfect. I'm waiting until WP8.1 to make my decision if I stay or go. I'm not brand loyal though it was Nokia that got me into WP.

My points:

It seemed obvious once Elop announced WP was going to the be the only OS for Nokia most people knew who were in the business where things were heading. There was little left to the imagination. Elop was ex-MS. There was no alternative choice in OS. Android was never considered. Meego (N9) got rave reviews but Elop crushed the devices' ability to sell.

Everything pointed to a MS buyout and surprise (well to some) it happened. Now it's looking like Elop will be the next CEO of MS. Good for him. Let's hope he can fix MS as well as he fixed Nokia. I wonder who will buy MS now....
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing.
  24. tgp

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts
    I bought my Lumia
    I'm afraid that this is probably the case for a lot of WP users; they bought the device because it's a Nokia. Now I'm assuming you knew all about WP and you knew that's what you were getting, but how many users have no clue what the OS is? Or at least they didn't base their decision to purchase on that? It's said that some Samsung owners don't know that their devices' OS is Android. I would think that dropping the Nokia name will have a negative effect on sales.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
    Thanked by:
    Dazzi likes this.
    I bought my Lumia
    So, basically, I could sell you a turd if I stamped a Nokia logo onto it? IMHO that is pretty much Nokia's version of an iSheep.

If you like your phone now, then you should be perfectly happy with what comes in the future. All of Nokia's devices and services employees are becoming Microsoft employees, and ultimately, it is those people that matter, not the logo or band name. The people, their talent and their creativity, is what made Nokia what it is. That isn't changing. WP's and Lumia's future will be shaped by the same people.
    Rem97 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast