jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is an idea that I love on paper, but it just cannot work in practice.. The economics of the market don't allow for it. All of the interconnects would make a new telephone much more expensive, thicker, heavier, and very probably less reliable and less durable.

Last edited:

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
PHONEBLOKS : IF this happen ,well you buy them??

A phone only lasts a couple of years before it breaks or becomes obsolete. Although it's often just one part which killed it we throw everything away since it's almost impossible to repair or upgrade.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: PHONEBLOKS : IF this happen ,well you buy them??

It looks really nice! Hope you can choose what os you want to use too :grin:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Never. Form factor is disgusting, let alone this is an engineering nightmare lol

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Wouldn't even consider it in that form. If someone could make an amazing Nokia like robust design while allowing this, sure, maybe then, but I guess it's obvious it won't quite happen in that form.

Talbot690

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

I like it, depending os i would probably get this, although id like to know how this design would hold up to being dropped.. I can imagine all the little pieces coming off the base and flying in all directions. Maybe there could be a thin case to insure it stays together... Actually now im unsure of this design even more, still more innovative than iPhone!

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

It won't happen. Its an Open-platform and they are forgetting one major thing, Open platforms don't really make money. There might be a couple of exceptions to this but, Microsoft won't be on board, Apple definitely won't be on board, and I think the average person won't want to bother with this, they want a phone that just works without assembly. It seems more like a phone specifically for tech enthusiasts, but the maker of the video doesn't seem to understand much about engineering or the phone industry in general...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If it looks like that, no.

My idea would be a relatively easily opened phone, accessing different components which are modular and not soldered down. Not necessarily to the extent of the bloks shown.
Four screws off the back or a sort of sliding magnetic mechanism (something i though of), and voila, access to the battery, modular flash modules (although with some changes, because theft and potential data loss become a potential problem), modular everything hehe.

vryque

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

it could happen, but not in that form, think of the pc upgradable ram, cpu etc.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a really cool video. Now, what would be even cooler, 3d printing my phone, and just put in the hardware myself, like people who make their own PCs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon