[Engadget] Panasonic shuts down Plasma TV Business, Blames Lehman Brothers

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Sad. I love the picture quality of my Plasma over the LCDs I have at home. Ever since I bought the 51" Sammy Plasma almost 2 years ago I told myself that I would never go back to LCD or even go LED. But it seems I'm going to be forced back eventually, whether I want to or not.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Viera TC-P60VT60 last weekend. Got delivered Tuesday. Watching last nights ball game was really amazing. By far the best picture I've ever seen on a TV (except OLED). Its too bad to see plasma go by the wayside. However, looking at the OLED set on display at the local BB there will be nothing that can compete with that technology once they can get the manufacturing costs down.

A tip for anyone looking to get a new set. Look for open box sets. That is how I got mine. Most of the time these are the display models but the TV I got was a return. Because it was an open box item they knocked an additional $800.00 off the price. I don't why it was retuned but there isn't a dam thing wrong with it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I just bought a Viera TC-P60VT60 last weekend. Got delivered Tuesday. Watching last nights ball game was really amazing. By far the best picture I've ever seen on a TV (except OLED). Its too bad to see plasma go by the wayside. However, looking at the OLED set on display at the local BB there will be nothing that can compete with that technology once they can get the manufacturing costs down.

A tip for anyone looking to get a new set. Look for open box sets. That is how I got mine. Most of the time these are the display models but the TV I got was a return. Because it was an open box item they knocked an additional $800.00 off the price. I don't why it was retuned but there isn't a dam thing wrong with it.

I gotta see OLED under "normal home lighting" not "fluorescent store lighting" before I crown it the better picture quality. But it looks like by the time my Sammy dies, OLED should be cheaper and I will end buying that anyway.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
So sad, I love my Panny plasmas. They've made real progress in the last few years with that technology. They're incredibly thin, sip power compared to ones just a few years old, and compared to what's readily available can not be beat in picture quality. Definitely pouring a 40 on the curb when they shut down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs