Bitlocker encryption! Here's how to check if you have it (8.1 only)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

A lot of people have been wondering if they have bitlocker encryption!
Some have been running 8.1 and haven't received Cyan so they seem to be worried!

(Before I start I would like to say this post doesn't seem relevant since MS has stopped the update...)

There's a relatively easy way to check if you need to downgrade before actually updating:

Open storage sense > if it says xx.xx GB used ENCRYPTED

Then chances are your phone has bitlocker encryption lol
This also means you are most likely working for a company that uses this encryption and
that the phone was given to you by the company or someone working for a company..

The only way to update would be to give the phone to your IT department..

Credits for this tip should go to Ankit Mahehswari 84 :)

Note: when the option for bitlocker encryption was added with wp 7.0 (i think) no one was sure if it was turned on by default
or not.. The possibility for this encryption has always been around so do check if your phone is encrypted or not

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Glad my phone is not encrypted (lol wait I am still a student in a college , no Job no encryption :p ). Thanks for sharing this with us. Oh since this is Off topic. I can see your avatar :winktongue:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having bitlocker on your phone is in no way connected to Developer Preview people getting the Cyan update. Microsoft and Nokia stopped ALL Cyan updates for DP users, regardless of whether they had bitlocker encrypted phones or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon